Some power supplies do not work on certain motherboards with different CPU rails [Need Help]

Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
4 hours ago, MaxBeast4Z said:

The power supplies in this picture is the EVGA 210-GQ-0650-RX 650W now for some reason it doesn't want to work on certain motherboards

Yes, and?
Stuff like that happens sometimes.

My Corsair HX750i doesn't work with my Gigabyte X79-UD5. And there are probably people where their HX750i will work with their Gigabyte X79-UD5.

So try a different PSU...

PS:
As said earlier, testing on a fabric is a really really bad idea due to static discharge, it's entirely possible that you killed the Board in the Process...

Next time test on some cardboard or other non conducting things (NOT the anti static bags components come in. Those actually do conduct sometimes)...

The power supplies in this picture is the EVGA 210-GQ-0650-RX 650W now for some reason it doesn't want to work on certain motherboards and it all has to do with the CPU power connector because if I unplug the CPU power connector and power it on there's no problem it doesn't trigger the Surge protection but when it's plugged in it keeps triggering the surge protection every time. 

Test bench1 specs:

AMD RYZEN 3 1300X

Kingston hyperX 2x4GB

MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON

EVGA 210-GQ-0650-RX 650W

Nvidia GeForce GT8800

When you power the system on it turns on and it turns off rapidly and if you hold the power button it's just going to turn on and turn off rapidly we're talking about one second burst power and before it keeps reloading the same thing.

Please scroll down after you're done.

1Jbh8se.jpg

Now in this picture everything works I can't really say anything else it boots.

Test bench2 specs:

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Kingston valve 4GB

Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0

EVGA 210-GQ-0650-RX 650W

Nvidia GeForce GT8800

Please scroll down to look at the CPU rails

0Tkx5jF.jpg

I need to know what's the difference between boat CPU power rails

of0dorx.png

Can somebody please explain to me what's the difference between?

First, are you testing on fabric? If so, well done, static will kill something. Second, both the MSI and EVGA motherboards have the 12V and ground sides wired properly. There's nothing electronically different there.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

There's no difference, the EPS connector is universal (like the 20 or 24 pins ATX connector or the Molex connector). If one motherboard trips the surge protection then the problem is the motherboard and should be returned (RMA).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, MaxBeast4Z said:

The power supplies in this picture is the EVGA 210-GQ-0650-RX 650W now for some reason it doesn't want to work on certain motherboards

Yes, and?

My Corsair HX750i doesn't work with my Gigabyte X79-UD5. And there are probably people where their HX750i will work with their Gigabyte X79-UD5.

PS:
As said earlier, testing on a fabric is a really really bad idea due to static discharge, it's entirely possible that you killed the Board in the Process...

Next time test on some cardboard or other non conducting things (NOT the anti static bags components come in. Those actually do conduct sometimes)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 10/12/2017 at 12:54 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, and?

PS:

All the motherboards work still I was lazy to not put it on my test bench.

It's possible that the capacitors of the power supplies were not charged enough or they were not receiving enough power by the time I write this it works there's no problem anymore.

But I still cannot trust a refurbished power supplies so I bought a new one instead.

System specs:

Processor : Intel i7-4770K oc at 4.0GHz
Motherboard : MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Graphics card1:  PowerColor RX 480 8G - Gaming graphics card will be replaced with a GTX 1070 instead
Graphics card2 : Gigabyte GTX 970 4G - Rendering video card for streaming
RAM : Kingston Hyperx 4x8GB 32GB
HDD : Seagate 1.0TB SSHD  - Seagate 1.0TB HDD
SSD : SanDisk x400 128GB M.2

Power Supply: EVGA 210-GQ-0650-RX 650W 80+ GOLD - The power supplies will be replaced for a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 80+ GOLD 650W

On 10/11/2017 at 8:08 PM, TheRandomness said:

First, are you testing on fabric? If so, well done, static will kill something. Second, both the MSI and EVGA motherboards have the 12V and ground sides wired properly. There's nothing electronically different there.

Yeah I didn't do that right I was just too lazy to not put on my test bench but I got lucky everything still works and that the time I'm writing this everything has been solved it works but I can't still trust the power supply so I bought another one instead.

It's to use on a MSI Z97 Gaming 5