AMD Vega GPU for iMac Pro is faster then the Titan XP?

Also on Linux right now to use Vega in a user friendly manner you need to use the proprietary driver. But the open source driver for Vega which is rapidly coming together is apparently turning out to make the Vega64 as fast as the 1080ti. Right now it's a bit of a pain to get working but once everything is mainlined in the next couple of months it will be easy..

On 11/10/2017 at 3:41 AM, Max_Settings said:

Cinnebench is not a legit GPU benchmark, it has a limit to hard far it can go, I got barely any more FPS in that benchmark when I went from my 980 to a 1080 ti

The GPU benchmark loves strong single core perf. Using a 8700K overclocked to the moon would really show the gains. 

That or sometimes it goes in reverse. Prefers one architecture to the other. Weird. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

@DocSwag

a little late but...

I do think the iMac Pro might be a pretty good gaming machine, that was just a question.

Although it is advertised as a Workstation machine, it looks like it could be one of the easiest high-end machines to buy (not talking about the price of it though ;_;). 

Because Apple might make their product compatible of gaming, Metal 2 could be optimized for more games along with next generation graphics to make macOS perform better and take advantage of all the power.

On 10/12/2017 at 10:13 AM, Humbug said:

Also on Linux right now to use Vega in a user friendly manner you need to use the proprietary driver. But the open source driver for Vega which is rapidly coming together is apparently turning out to make the Vega64 as fast as the 1080ti. Right now it's a bit of a pain to get working but once everything is mainlined in the next couple of months it will be easy..

@Humbug

That pretty cool. Linux is very similar to Unix (what macOS runs off of), so it might perform even better after Apple's optimization.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:10 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

Apple does not have any intention to make these machines a gaming machine. 

can it game? sure. but don't expect it to do well. 

the iMac pro is not a gaming machine.... 

stop treating hardwares like "gaming machine" as soon as you see a beefy GPU in it...

there is other things do to on your PC/Mac... 

Next year all the desktop mac is gonna get a refresh. Wait for those machines to come out.

@mrchow19910319

I heard that next year Apple is going to release a new "Mac Pro" that allows you to replace the CPU and maybe GPU easily for upgrades in the future...

You can upgrade the current mac pro but it is very restricted.

But didn't we know this already ? There have been reviews of the vega64 showing it outperforming the TitanXpp in professional workloads... nothing new here.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:33 AM, BuckGup said:

What do you expect. Apple optimizes their programs for their hardware choices. I wish other companies would do this more

Not exactly easy is it.. The whole point of Windows is it supports ALOT more than Mac, on Windows you can run hundreds of CPU and GPU combos, whereas some macs don't even like you putting in new RAM...
Much easier to optimize for a combination of 20 things rather than 20000

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3