Hey, I'm Thor...

ThorBuildingLegos

Hey folks. Yet another anonymous face here. Lets do something about that:

post-42110-0-27916500-1386232373.jpg

Me with my now retired ePipe

I'm a puter geek from the land where people eat the heads of baby sheep, where people cross cold rivers on snowscooters, where taxes are high and where viking helmets don't have horns because that'd be effin' stupid. Yes, I am yet another weege (Norwegian) -- in search of a new community devoted to puters -- and yes, I will continue to call computers, personal computers, dedicated computers, embedded computers, etc, as puters.

Lets start with my credentials, shall we? None! There we go! As of now I'm at the very end of finishing high-school education as chronic depression and extreme social anxiety inhibited my social and educational development at a young age. But I did find solice in a box of tinder and lightning, that I started to use for many things. While growing up I always found a keen interest in puters and have used the Windows lineup since Windows 3.1 (and between you and me Windows 8(.1) is not as bad as people say it is). I did however find other uses for computers besides playing around with and studying computers in general. I used my puters for music production and remixing, for graphic manipulation, playing videogames like point'n'click games, as well as adrenalin enducing Unreal Tournamen (or UT99 for those in the know), testing out many LinuX and BSD variants, running emulated platforms and generally downloading/streaming series and films.

As for "series and films" I am a major fan of animation. Lets just get studio Ghibli out of the way, lets not talk about Disney and lets find some obscure stuff. We're talking "Planet du savage", "Plague Dogs", "The Point", Ralph Bakshy's entire library and lets not forget the heavy metal movies. Mmmmmmm-mm that's good ol' fashioned animation. I also grew up on Hannah Barbera, so "Harvey Birdman: Attourney At Law", "Venture Bros" & "Sealab 2021" are DVDs that are in my shelf. I am however also a fan of South Park, ATHF, Squidbillies, The Critic (which I have in me shelf), The Simpsons, Family Guy... yeah. It's not exactly a unique character trait for me to say I like animation and go on by saying I like The Simpsons and Family guy. "...and the sky is blue, WHAT ELSE?!" Yeah, I went there... Jon Lovitz up in this biatch.

But I digress. Whats my music taste like? Well I'm also a stereotype. Not only am I nerd, not only do I like animation, but I have an affinity for hip-hop! Sterotype complete *thumbsup*. Specifically I can say that I've heard a lot of whats to be called "backpacker", "underground", "indipendent", "true-school", "abstract", etc -- and can unashamadly say that DJ Jazzy Jeff is my favourit DJ. You might think "Will Smith", but not Little Brother, CL Smooth, Pos da neuce, Raheem Devaughn or anything that goes outside the spectrum of being thrown out of a fancy house in Bel Aire. But believe me when I say the dude is one of the hardest working DJs in showbusiness. I also have a trifecta of artists that inspired me and nurtures the fanboy in me, and they inspired me in chronological order. De La Soul -> MF Doom -> Aesop Rock. Yeah, the abstract and zen styles are my favourites (for those of you who know WTF I'm talking about). You can pretty much just call me a Stones Throw/Quannum/Rhymesayers/Def Jux fanboy. Anywaaaaaays...

I want to study to become a programmer, or project developer so to speak. Work with GUI, UX, front-end stuff. One of my secret wet dreams is to create a seamless and effecient DE (or Desktop Environment) for LinuX that surpasses the versatility of KDE and challanges the performance of minimalistic WMs, like tiling WMs, Blackbox, Fluxbox, etc. I don't want to be a "designer" in the idea of making things look pretty, but to be an architect of user interfaces to reimagine the UI for improved hand-to-eye coordinatio, as well as cross-compatibility between input interfaces (keyboards, mice, touch interfaces, pen interfaces, etc). Something LIKE Windows 8.1, but that uses the screen real estate for what its actually worth -- Metro would've been awesome, if it was actually scalable and versatile. As it stands Metro is more or less designed for touch interfaces and leaves mouse interaction in the dust. No, really! I know that Windows 8 DOES work with a mouse-and-keyboard combo (I mean come on - it's software suicide), but that the latest incarnation of the Windows desktop is basically bred for touchscreens exclusively. If it wasn't we could include A LOT MORE useful stuff on the average Metro screen, like conditional switches for specific programs (i.e buttons on the upper left or upper right side of the app icon that allows you to run the app with different parameters), having program functions on the app icon, window handling inside metro and metro tiles for regular Windows applications. Oh there are so many things that could be experimented with... but ofc we want to shoot for "stylisticly clean". But that doesn't necessarily mean "functional" or "practical".

What more, what more... ah yes;

I'm an incurable advocate of open source software and of slacking copyright and trademark laws. I'm against patent trolling as a fundamental principle due to my belief that "free enterprise" doesn't mean "data- or intel hoarding". I wish we would replace TCP/IP, ICMP, UDP, routing tables; the lot. Why do I have to confirm every dang packet? Why not every 25 packets, or 50 packets, and then ask for the missing packets rather than checking each - and every - individual - friggin - packet...! And IPv6 is a total joke. Seriously. Lets _not_ implement that and start working on developing something better.

To conclude I am very versed in software (frameworks, libraries, infrastructure, kernels, etc) but need to learn more about hardware. I'll expose more on this in a future post regarding this new machine I built... that's not 100% stable yet... that I overclocked without any prior research and investigation... using th AI Suite that came with me overpriced Asus MB. And I'm wondering why I'm getting BSODs? ^^; Sheesh...

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Thoroughness rating
#########

I like you already, welcome to the forum! :D

I think your English is better than mine :P

Thanks! :)

Some say English is my mother tounge :) I definetly have a more advance vocuabulary in English than I do in my actual mother tounge, i.e Norwegian. I blame Cartoon Network. See, one half of the yearly season was in Norwegian or Swedish (we have an amazingly similar verbal language and a somewhat similar written language -- but thats where the comparisons stop) and the other season was in English. Add reruns in to he mix, and the fact that they sneakily changed the dubs of episodes on-the-fly (even while an episode was already running), so it was in many ways a subconcious learning experience. Add that with puters being English-centric, my fascination over lyrics and poetry, and that my favourit series and films are in English... and we have a pretty good basis for learning English :) So yeah; Scooby Doo, Fred Flintstone, Curage the cowardly dog, Cow and chicken, Dexter and Dee Dee were all my English teachers. Funny how some people might think that cartoons are BAD for children? Little did they know that it could decrease language and cultural barriers :)

welcome, to the best place in the world  ^_^

We'll see... ^__^; I've been on forums before promising unity and openness, only to be overwhelmed by emotional hijackers and trolls *shivers*. I'm guessing this forum however has a moderation team who are NOT complete attention whores ^^ But judging from the comments in the WAN show video the people here seem pretty decent :)

Thoroughness rating
#########

Best introduction ever. Welcome to the forum!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Welcome aboard mate, may the Linus be with you young Jedi.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

BAH I came here for the God of Thunder, Son of Odin. Not another earthling...

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

DUDE D:

Anyways, thanks for reading!

DUDE D:

thanks for writing it man!

In the beginning I was like :| I will never read all of this but I'll give it a go then further and further the page I got I was like D: I MUST keep reading, congradulations! Like seriously I am so bad at reading a lot, I get bored so easily.... PENGUINS...

Anyway where was I, ah yes WELCOME to the Forum.... I assure you, you will love it here xD

Oh and btw... I like Windows 8(.1) xD Still have 7 on my desktop though.... I can't imagine 8(.1) without a touch screen though (I have it on my Laptop).

SOOOO GOOD SIR, ENJOY YOUR ENDEAVORS HERE!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Best introduction ever. Welcome to the forum!

I second that!

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Welcome to the forum. And just to say it, your English is better than a very large portion of the students in my high school. In the middle of the U.S.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

From the man who made
a sandwich just now, comes

"Hey, I'm Thor..."

a gripping text which has
received rave reviews:

"This might be the best introduction I have ever read, seriously"
Wauthar

"Best introduction ever. Welcome to the forum!"

bob345

"In the beginning I was like :| I will never read all of this but I'll give it a go
then further and further the page I got I was like D: I MUST keep reading. -- PENGUINS..."

SirReallySam

"I second that!"
TheRuke

"Dude best introduction2013..."
LogicDeifying

And coming soon to a forum near you----r
gif collection in your bookmarks:

"Hey, I'm Thor...
and this is Mjølnir"

The build worthy Vallhalla

*ceremonial drums in the background*

Thank you, thank you *bow*. I thought I'd do a completely honest approach by revealing a little of my self to actually provide content in the text rather than blather on about nothing or it just being short and sweet. But the most fun part about writing is shaping the text, and so... naturally you'd want to write more *shrug* I like writing, and I'd like to get better at it. Thanks for the encouragement!

(PS @SirReallySam: have you checked the start menubar properties? There's a new pane called "Navigation" filled with all sorts of beneficial settings)

Welcome aboard mate, may the Linus be with you young Jedi.

Oh, the Linus is strong in me -- Torvalds that is! *extends middle-finger towards Nvidia*

BAH I came here for the God of Thunder, Son of Odin. Not another earthling...

LOL I did too but I still wasn't disappointed

By the tits of Hel! Do you mock me? Do you challange my lineage?! I can be found atop a stormy peak, wearing nothing but swetpants, a wool sweatter (with Sogn patterns of course -- my family pattern), and a cap with a frilly puffball on top of it, during icy rain and bursting winds, sipping Swedish whiskey from a teacup grasped in my left hand, and my sturdy pipe firmly placed in my right, staring unwavering in to the distance, braving the elements without changing my solid expression, as if telling the gods: My blood runs thick through these rivers, vales and fjords. My mind is focused on honour, valour and the warriors way, and that despite my frail past I am STILL worthy entry in to Vallhalla to do battle in the end-times! My bloodline is strong and my place in Vallhalla is asured -- as long as I die a warriors death of course -- which I have already planned out. Can't be too certain in these modern and "peaceful" times, but theres always a squabble and fortune to be found.

I guess there's some space for another weege, maybe, we'll have to see about that...  :rolleyes:

Välkommen!

Tjena :D Var er du från I Sverige? Og kan du lese Norsk? Fordi min Svenska er, tuvær, inte akurat jettebra...

I didn't read it cause I'm lazy but welcome!

Yes, that's because I was too lazy to write a proper introduction, so I manufactured a long one using a random-word generator that at least makes the text seem coherent -- which smart people like you pick up on, which leads to you intuitively avoiding reading the post and just instantly replying to it instead. So whats the introduction really say? I dunno, haven't read it yet.

Suprised how many Weegies we are here :D

Skål for Norge! 

Yes :P 1st world problem: too many Weegies.

Welcome to the forum. And just to say it, your English is better than a very large portion of the students in my high school. In the middle of the U.S.

Thanks, I'd like to think of myself as someone who's very learned in English as a whole (visa vi dialects, difference in spelling, though difference in grammar - not so good.. between the mighty three that is (US, UK, International). I can do pretty realistic accents actually. I can do your stereotypical accents, like Itlian guy (Woa...! This guy -- watch out for this guy), fake Jinglish, somewhat realistic Jinglish (after some "meditation"), fake Chinglish, and I'm still attempting the whole English-Standard Chinese accent but to do it realistically, without sounding like a complete douche, is REAL hard, unlike Jinglish which is inherently hillarious when drawn to its extreme. Besides all that my regular English accent is approximately a generic American English accent (though I spell "colour" instead of "color" -- "COLOUR" -- I mean, it even sounds right when you say it with an American accent - could you enlighten me as to why this little change was implimented? Isn't the rebellion againts the redcoats over yet?) I know some... "proper" Southern accents, as well as my "first attempt", "generic-as-fudge", "I am not doing colloqual-culture, sociolects or geolects any favours here" Southern accents. I can also differenciate between New York and New Jersey accents. I also fare well with British accents, like I can do a pretty decent Irish accent, a PROPER Scottish accent (none of this Hollywood shite), _some_ (again "first-attempts" -- are usually the worst) English accents  -- like your standard posh accents, "some form" of Cockney, and on a good day a North-English accent. And no: I can't do a proper Michael Caine, but I can do a Jason Stathem impression :P And on a good day Sean Connory and Marlon Brando as Corleone ("--I could've been somebody, a could've been a contender--").

My sisters a teacher... hard work, that is. Could you perhaps answer this reddit post I made? I'm sort of a blue-eyed idealist and believe in the concept of open education. You know; teaching through agency rather than traditional "learn-because-I-said-so" technique, or the ever effective "do-you-want-to-be-succesfull" quip, or how about the "your-so-special, you-can-do-it, Barney/Yo Gaba Gaba-dance-party-time" treatement? Yeeeeeeaaaaah... children aren't stupid and will see straight through such manipulative methods of persuasion and will lose respect for the teacher instantly because the respect is obviously not mutual (I'm speaking from personal experience here ofc - from my school and that period in time -- I cannot state with certainty that any of these "fine methods" go unchecked today). I know that not all teachers do this, but it's a really stupid approach at encouragment. But on top of that, each individual progresses in learning specific fields differently -- and they are all supposed to meet some yearly deadline with arbitrary points of progression within each of the subjects? Only to repeat, because as we know studying means repeating and is a good thing, which means the whole yearly progression thing is COMPLETELY ARBITRARY *slams head in livingroom table*. MM-mmm. No, ma'm. That dog won't hunt, sir. This is something I want to delwe in to, and I'm waiting emphatically for teachers to respond :) Who are the best source regarding information about school systems, being an intermediary between the students, government and parents. Perhaps the question is posed incorrectly... might need to repost. Might need to rethink the whole angle...
...and YES! Since you're an English teacher: MOAR TEXT 4 U!

Thanks for the reception, guys ;)

Thoroughness rating
#########

wow.... i like you, you are very thorough and thats good

Is there any other way to be?

Thoroughness rating
#########

gezzzz i can not believe i read all of that welcome im the cooliest person here btw ;)

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

They should talk about this amazing introduction on the wan show haha

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

gezzzz i can not believe i read all of that welcome im the cooliest person here btw ;)

It's evident. You obviously wouldn't sport that avatar if the case were different.

Thoroughness rating
#########

It's evident. You obviously wouldn't sport that avatar if the case were different.

yep

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

From the man who made

a sandwich just now, comes

"Hey, I'm Thor..."

a gripping text which has

received rave reviews:

"This might be the best introduction I have ever read, seriously"

Wauthar

"Best introduction ever. Welcome to the forum!"

bob345

"In the beginning I was like :| I will never read all of this but I'll give it a go

then further and further the page I got I was like D: I MUST keep reading. -- PENGUINS..."

SirReallySam

"I second that!"

TheRuke

"Dude best introduction2013..."

LogicDeifying

And coming soon to a forum near you----r

gif collection in your bookmarks:

"Hey, I'm Thor...

and this is Mjølnir"

The build worthy Vallhalla

*ceremonial drums in the background*

Thank you, thank you *bow*. I thought I'd do a completely honest approach by revealing a little of my self to actually provide content in the text rather than blather on about nothing or it just being short and sweet. But the most fun part about writing is shaping the text, and so... naturally you'd want to write more *shrug* I like writing, and I'd like to get better at it. Thanks for the encouragement!

(PS @SirReallySam: have you checked the start menubar properties? There's a new pane called "Navigation" filled with all sorts of beneficial settings)

Oh, the Linus is strong in me -- Torvalds that is! *extends middle-finger towards Nvidia*

By the tits of Hel! Do you mock me? Do you challange my lineage?! I can be found atop a stormy peak, wearing nothing but swetpants, a wool sweatter (with Sogn patterns of course -- my family pattern), and a cap with a frilly puffball on top of it, during icy rain and bursting winds, sipping Swedish whiskey from a teacup grasped in my left hand, and my sturdy pipe firmly placed in my right, staring unwavering in to the distance, braving the elements without changing my solid expression, as if telling the gods: My blood runs thick through these rivers, vales and fjords. My mind is focused on honour, valour and the warriors way, and that despite my frail past I am STILL worthy entry in to Vallhalla to do battle in the end-times! My bloodline is strong and my place in Vallhalla is asured -- as long as I die a warriors death of course -- which I have already planned out. Can't be too certain in these modern and "peaceful" times, but theres always a squabble and fortune to be found.

Tjena :D Var er du från I Sverige? Og kan du lese Norsk? Fordi min Svenska er, tuvær, inte akurat jettebra...

Yes, that's because I was too lazy to write a proper introduction, so I manufactured a long one using a random-word generator that at least makes the text seem coherent -- which smart people like you pick up on, which leads to you intuitively avoiding reading the post and just instantly replying to it instead. So whats the introduction really say? I dunno, haven't read it yet.

Yes :P 1st world problem: too many Weegies.

Thanks, I'd like to think of myself as someone who's very learned in English as a whole (visa vi dialects, difference in spelling, though difference in grammar - not so good.. between the mighty three that is (US, UK, International). I can do pretty realistic accents actually. I can do your stereotypical accents, like Itlian guy (Woa...! This guy -- watch out for this guy), fake Jinglish, somewhat realistic Jinglish (after some "meditation"), fake Chinglish, and I'm still attempting the whole English-Standard Chinese accent but to do it realistically, without sounding like a complete douche, is REAL hard, unlike Jinglish which is inherently hillarious when drawn to its extreme. Besides all that my regular English accent is approximately a generic American English accent (though I spell "colour" instead of "color" -- "COLOUR" -- I mean, it even sounds right when you say it with an American accent - could you enlighten me as to why this little change was implimented? Isn't the rebellion againts the redcoats over yet?) I know some... "proper" Southern accents, as well as my "first attempt", "generic-as-fudge", "I am not doing colloqual-culture, sociolects or geolects any favours here" Southern accents. I can also differenciate between New York and New Jersey accents. I also fare well with British accents, like I can do a pretty decent Irish accent, a PROPER Scottish accent (none of this Hollywood shite), _some_ (again "first-attempts" -- are usually the worst) English accents -- like your standard posh accents, "some form" of Cockney, and on a good day a North-English accent. And no: I can't do a proper Michael Caine, but I can do a Jason Stathem impression :P And on a good day Sean Connory and Marlon Brando as Corleone ("--I could've been somebody, a could've been a contender--").

My sisters a teacher... hard work, that is. Could you perhaps answer this reddit post I made? I'm sort of a blue-eyed idealist and believe in the concept of open education. You know; teaching through agency rather than traditional "learn-because-I-said-so" technique, or the ever effective "do-you-want-to-be-succesfull" quip, or how about the "your-so-special, you-can-do-it, Barney/Yo Gaba Gaba-dance-party-time" treatement? Yeeeeeeaaaaah... children aren't stupid and will see straight through such manipulative methods of persuasion and will lose respect for the teacher instantly because the respect is obviously not mutual (I'm speaking from personal experience here ofc - from my school and that period in time -- I cannot state with certainty that any of these "fine methods" go unchecked today). I know that not all teachers do this, but it's a really stupid approach at encouragment. But on top of that, each individual progresses in learning specific fields differently -- and they are all supposed to meet some yearly deadline with arbitrary points of progression within each of the subjects? Only to repeat, because as we know studying means repeating and is a good thing, which means the whole yearly progression thing is COMPLETELY ARBITRARY *slams head in livingroom table*. MM-mmm. No, ma'm. That dog won't hunt, sir. This is something I want to delwe in to, and I'm waiting emphatically for teachers to respond :) Who are the best source regarding information about school systems, being an intermediary between the students, government and parents. Perhaps the question is posed incorrectly... might need to repost. Might need to rethink the whole angle...

...and YES! Since you're an English teacher: MOAR TEXT 4 U!

Thanks for the reception, guys ;)

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M