3-pin addressable LED strip compatible with Asus Aura?

For Science!

I'm looking for some LED strips compatible with the new(ish) RGB header which is this weird 4-1 pin layout.

addheader.jpg    CM-LED-30-60ARGB-R-2.jpg

My understanding is that these https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-addressable-led-strip-60cm-rgb/ are compatible. Although I am generally confused by the regular spacing of 3-pins in the image, but I'm sure the adapter or something makes it comfortable with the spaced 3-pin layout. Perhaps @CableMod can elaborate? 

However these strips are very difficult to get hold of in Sweden and so was wondering if there are known alternatives that work out of the box for this header? Even better if its available from a Nordic retailer.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

-SNIP-

It mentions it requires and adapter of sorts but there doesn't seem to be a product kit for that from what I can find. 

NOTE: Requires CableMod Addressable LED Kit, ASUS® motherboard with AURA addressable LED port, or GIGABYTE® motherboard with RGB Fusion addressable LED port to work.

@For Science! since these are compatible with both the 3-pin addressable headers from ASUS, and the 5-pin addressable headers from Gigabyte/Aorus's new motherboard lineups, we kept it 3-pin and then used the adapter (shown in the bottom right of the image you shared) and then the motherboard manufacturer includes the adapter to their header, so for ASUS it is a 4(spaced)>to>3-pin and Gigabyte/Aorus it is a 5>to>3-pin. The remaining connector is going to be in the motherboard packaging though, with our own kit coming later. :)

You should be able to use any individually addressable LED strip. My guess is that it will be WS2812 chips, but I am not sure. All you will then need to do is make a simple adapter to the motherboard. Otherwise you could make a custom controller as I have done to get proper chaser effects round the case, but I wouldn't buy cable mod if you want to do that, so then the strip is continuous.

I managed to get a 5m roll of LED strip with 60 leds per meter for around 1/2 to 1/3 what it would have cost from cable mod. Not to mention that the cable mod strip is in 0.6m lengths, with only 50 leds per metre. WTF @CableMod??? The roll I bought was $104 including shipping. Buying the same amount from your website is $178 (assuming I can buy 1/3 of a LED strip) which equates to $250 NZ, using very optimistic exchange rates.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2017 at 9:03 PM, CableMod said:

@For Science! since these are compatible with both the 3-pin addressable headers from ASUS, and the 5-pin addressable headers from Gigabyte/Aorus's new motherboard lineups, we kept it 3-pin and then used the adapter (shown in the bottom right of the image you shared) and then the motherboard manufacturer includes the adapter to their header, so for ASUS it is a 4(spaced)>to>3-pin and Gigabyte/Aorus it is a 5>to>3-pin. The remaining connector is going to be in the motherboard packaging though, with our own kit coming later. :)

@CableMod How would I get this strip to work using the included motherboard (5 pin) adapter in my Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7? The adapter is 12VGRBW and the strip is RGB as far as I can tell. It didn't work with the 3 pin header and didn't work with the 5 pin header either, the colors were wrong and only one led lit up white most of the time. Is there some kind of diagram out there that explains how to plug this addressable cable into Gigabyte boards?

Many thanks!

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

On 11/16/2017 at 7:03 PM, CableMod said:

@SOCOM_HERO for something like this please email Support@CableMod.com and we can help you with resolving the issue.

Got it figured out. It was the adapter in the MB box that didn't work with the strip, as it was not for addressable. Got it working on its own using the provided adapter in the package. Would be nice if that adapter was about 10cm long rather than 5cm.

Strip looks amazing, I'm ordering another for daisy chain!

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

Any WS2812B strip will work. I got one off ebay for $10. Here is one I rigged up to my z370i strix. It uses 5v, so I ordered a 5v strip. I used some old motherboard header cables to create a 3-pin plug. Tag me if you need any more information :) 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.86bd05143c4a64b6c2a05bff30be28fb.jpg

Grumpy

• 3 months later...

First of all sorry form my bad english.

I have the Asus Z370-I too and the same problem.

I buy the BitFenix Alchemy 3.0 RGB Strip and put it in to the RGB Header (4-1 polig ADD_Header) in the Mainboard.

But it did’t work. BitFenix say it has Asus Aura, but no Lights are shining.

GrumpyBear17 can you explain exactly how you make it work? Maybe more pictures from the connections?

Bild 01.jpg

BitFenix-Alchemy-30-Magnetic-Addressable-RGB-LED-Strip-60cm-30-LEDs.jpg

1213183_2__8827281-2.jpg

Hi @Hamtid1, do you see the ADD_STRIP in your ASUS Aura software? Is it linked (the chain next to the ADD_STRIP) in the software? Did you set the LED count to match the number of LEDs on the strip? can you try the strip plugged directly into the board, without an extension lead? Are you running the latest version of Aura? I had issues until I got the latest version.

Your strip should work out of the box, as it's impossible to put the connector in the incorrect way because one of the holes is blanked, so the polarity of the strip will be correct.

It is in German by me in the latest version Lighting Control 1.05.38.

I also try v1.05.28 & v1.05.25.

Today i updatet Bios in Version 0606. Unfortunately still don’t work.

Her is a Pics from Aura Software.

It‘s realy weird because even if i put it out it’s still say that a ADD Strip is in.

Bild 03 Red.jpg

The latest bios is 0612 :)

Did you try the strip without the extension cord attached to it? I know it will be difficult, but try with the strip directly attached to the board please.

Also check the BIOS behaviour for how the RGB acts when the system is in an on/off state. Turn them both to ON. If you set it to ON, the strip will work when the system is not on, meaning you can rule out the software being an issue

The ADD_STRIP will show up in the software regardless of a strip being connected or not.

On 3/13/2018 at 5:48 AM, GrumpyBear17 said:

The latest bios is 0612 :)

Did you try the strip without the extension cord attached to it? I know it will be difficult, but try with the strip directly attached to the board please.

Also check the BIOS behaviour for how the RGB acts when the system is in an on/off state. Turn them both to ON. If you set it to ON, the strip will work when the system is not on, meaning you can rule out the software being an issue

The ADD_STRIP will show up in the software regardless of a strip being connected or not.

Do you think something like this would be compatible with the cables included in the motherboard box? 

LED Strip

On 14/03/2018 at 6:34 PM, OsuMasterz said:

Do you think something like this would be compatible with the cables included in the motherboard box? 

LED Strip

Yep, this will work perfectly fine. A little work may be required on the plastic connectors, but nothing a small knife won't fix. The ROG connector is very similar to the JST SM connector on that strip.

For peace of mind I would recommend cablemod strips, you can use the voucher in the motherboard box and they come with an ASUS Compatability adapter to convert the connector on the board to one for their strips.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is old, but I have an asus z370-e and I was wondering how many addressable led's one header could power. The motherboard manual says 60 but aura sync says 120. I would test but I haven't bought it yet

You can power 60 directly off the header, but if you intend to run more than this, you will need to inject 5v into the strip, otherwise you'll burn the addressable header out due to overcurrent.

Some strips allow for this, but it's easy enough to splice in additional wires to run the strip off 5v molex.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/11/2017 at 6:07 AM, GrumpyBear17 said:

Any WS2812B strip will work. I got one off ebay for $10. Here is one I rigged up to my z370i strix. It uses 5v, so I ordered a 5v strip. I used some old motherboard header cables to create a 3-pin plug. Tag me if you need any more information :) 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.86bd05143c4a64b6c2a05bff30be28fb.jpg

Grumpy

Hi @GrumpyBear17 how did you Do that??? I have a Asus motherboard with 2x 12v R G B  Can i make Them to that 5v thing you did so it fits for my addressable rgb strip i have???