Windows 8 vs Windows 7 ?...

DTV998

I am planing to get a new computer soon.But I don't know if I should put w.7 or w.8 on it. If you are using windows 8, please tell me your thoughts. Tenx! :)

I've been using Windows 8 pretty much every day since release, works perfectly. I'd say it's just as good as w7, there are not many differences. The metro UI is easy to get used to and it is actually quite useful. Boot times have been dramatically improved and I've had no compatibility issues. There are some minor errors, though, such as small spelling mistakes (atleast in the Dutch version), but overall I'd say you should get it.

I've been using Windows 8 pretty much every day since release, works perfectly. I'd say it's just as good as w7, there are not many differences. The metro UI is easy to get used to and it is actually quite useful. Boot times have been dramatically improved and I've had no compatibility issues. There are some minor errors, though, such as small spelling mistakes (atleast in the Dutch version), but overall I'd say you should get it.
Is it hard to get used to? Thanks!

Windows 8 is not bad, but you do have to do 3 actions to complete a task in most thinks, which gets annoying fast especially since you have to move the mouse from one edge to the other. If you like Windows 7, there's really no need to upgrade.

Feel free give 8 a test drive though. Install a release candidate version to see if it works for you or not.

Not really.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

i like windows 8 but have been having some compatibility issues with the rtm .its probably due to my aging hardware.

I tried Windows 8 in my pc and I didn't like it.

From my perspective, I believe that Windows 8 is very good is touch devices (either laptops, tablets, etc). Otherwise it is not very practical. Because is was developed with a touch screen in mind, when you don't have it, I feel like I'm missing something to use it like it was designed for.

I think Windows 8 is also more designed for home and domestic use(watching videos, surf the Net), and Windows 7, although it's also great for home use, is much better for work production (presentations, papers, etc).

So, in conclusion, If you are going to use a touch screen try Windows 8, otherwise I would go for Windows 7.

I tried windows 8, on a touch-screen system (car-pc).

some of it was really nice, mainly the boot times. and the "metro" thing was really nice on a touch-screen. but i could not stand some basic things, the media-player had no volumecontrols :/ adding media too it was a nightmare, you could not add one song, you had to choose everything you had in the playlist and then adding the songs you wanted to add.

on some gestures you have to move your finger past the edge of the screen. like swiping in from the right to bring up the bar thing with startmenu on it, that was inpossible on my resistive touch-screen.

the compatability was no problem for basic stuff. but i use software to remap my cars ecu, and windows 8 would not have it. it would not take the drivers and did not even try to run the program.

so now im running windows 7 with centrafuse on it and it works great.

I've been using Windows 8 since Developer Preview, and now i have Pro. All my machines have Windows 8, and I would recommend 8 over 7.

Some people have a hard time getting used to it's new interface, but that doesn't necessarily make Windows 8 a bad OS.

Actually after this long usage of Windows 8 I'd never go back to 7, and the interface is one of the reasons. Plus Windows 8 is faster at some processes like shut down, restart, sleep etc.

I'd personally go with Windows 8. There's honestly nothing wrong with it.

Windows 8 and download a corresponding Start menu program to bring it back (Start8, ClassicShell, Pokki, and so forth)

I would go with W8, because I don't see the reason to buy W7 when there's a new one around.

MEH

Honestly i was not going to upgrade to Windows 8 as i saw there being no point, being basicly made for touchscreen pc's, but after installing it and playing around with it and installing Start8 i have found that its not the bad, a few things i don't like, but thats the same with Win7 and WinXP. \

At the end of the day i thought i would give it ago and it was only $50 here, so i thought if i didn't like it i would have passed it on to a family member.

On this build (2 years old.. fast quad core), I run XP, Vista, W7 Home Premium 32bit, W7 Pro 64bit, and for $40 I bought the W8 Pro upgrade just for shits and giggles. I was expecting to enjoy learning a new OS and then back to W7 Pro 64bit... but with the addition Classic Start Menu... W8 has stayed. Like previous posters I have had a little trouble with drivers and I needed to get a new Xonar sound card, as the realtek chipset in my m/b was not full supported. I very rarely do anything on the Metro/Modern side. Just boot straight into the Desktop. It works just fine...

Having going from Windows XP to Windows 7 then to Windows 8 while still keeping Windows 7 on my lappy, Boot times are incredibly fast, all apps load quick and concise, I love it, I don't get the gripes that people have for it. Metro UI is easy enough to get used to yet still keep it fresh, Driver support is amazing, it's pretty much plug-n-play.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

Keep in mind that you don't even have to use the modernUI very much, depending on what you do.

As others have said, amazing boot and loading times, as well as an incredible task manager for figuring out every little thing your PC is doing.

I had Windows 8 evaluation edition and it was alright, I prefer Windows 7 though. The user interface on Windows 8 wasn't hard to get used to but navigating through Windows 7 and completing tasks is just so much faster.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

If you're building a PC, i would recommend Windows 7 since Windows 8 is more built for a touch-screen interface. Also, if you are using Windows 7 right now, just stick with it since you are used to it already.

Ive stuck with Win7. Win8 looks cool but theres not much support for it from game developers and other little things. One example is a product (MF190 USB Data stick) the Telco I work for sells has no support in Win8. I tried for a long time to get one installed in Win8 but it just never worked.

Thats not really a windows issue, its more the manufacturer of the device hasnt updated their driver software. But its still one of those things that I know its going to be difficult to get everything I want working.

To upgrade, does your copy of Windows 7 have to be activated? I just upgraded to SSD and had a friend's Win7 Pro disk I used to install Windows, but no prod key. Can't seem to find one online from Microsoft. All I can find is Windows 8 crap. So, if I buy an upgrade for Win8, do I also have to buy a Win7 product key?

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.

You know what it really is? It's from a technical aspect. Instead of just being the user. It's more difficult to navigate to essential utilities and get to familiar places. even typing in general descriptions in the search doesn't give you anything. They stapled a mobile UI over a desktop workplace. So multitasking is not even flawless as it was with 7. Went back to 7. Boot times with my ssd make it not worth keeping 8. Get it if you want but I don't like an OS choosing what it does and I feel like there's little control and things just aren't straight forward for the standard desktop user. And anyone say get a touch screen is retarded because switching between to mediums of control is pointless.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

I had Windows 8 evaluation edition and it was alright' date=' I prefer Windows 7 though. The user interface on Windows 8 wasn't hard to get used to but navigating through Windows 7 and completing tasks is just so much faster.[/quote']

The reason why it's faster is because you are used to it. Once you get past that, you go faster with Windows 8. I have Windows 8 Pro on my laptop and desktop

I find Windows 8 to be great for desktop and laptops. You don't need a touchscreen to enjoy it. Is the new Start Screen perfect? No. It needs some work, but like Windows 95 Start Menu.. it also needed some work. But is usable? perfectly yes. Basically, the Start Screen is fine, it just have little quirks, like it's a bit hard to access the shutdown button to: shutdown/sleep/restart your system, and the default layout of tiles sucks. But these aren't the end of the worlds and can be easily worked around it (you can change what the power button on your computer does. Most keyboard has programmable keys or keys designed to sleep your computer), and of course you can change the layout of Start Screen.

Why I like the Metro / ModernUI Start screen?

-> You can pin any folders you like, and not limited to what Windows wants to give you, like in previous version of Windows. So you pin your project folder, SkyDrive/DropBox (wtv you use), etc. And position them how you want it.

-> Metro apps live tiles are great to be used on the desktop or laptop as if they were gadget, freeing up your desktop, and have more options at your disposal, let alone look better than the gadgets of Windows 7/Vista.

-> More tiles, means more programs access at your disposal and more room for search results.

-> Access my games at a click of a button, and not have to go through Steam, or find hacks to add game icons to the Game folder of Windows Vista/7

If anyone is interested, this is how I customized my Start Menu on my desktop (didn't get a chance to install all my games, but you can use your imaginations)

dss.png

A feature that is not talked about, and I am truly surprised, as I see it as the "killer app" of Windows 8, is:

-> Free 30million+ songs access.

Start the Music app, and XBox Music service give you the ability to listen to 30 million songs (unlimited for the first 6 month, then up to 10h per month)

If you get the XBox Music subscription which is only 10$ a month (100$ per year.. so 2 months free every year), like I did, you can download the music you want.

You can also use the Zune desktop software too, as the XBox Music service is also the Zune pass service. Downloaded music is only playable on Windows system, including Windows RT, on Windows Phone 7/8, on Zune MP3 players, and on the XBox 360 console. 30million songs is about the size of iTunes store, and is significantly greater than Spotify (if they ever get to Canada) and other streaming service.

Personally, I download about 10-12 albums a month, making the subscription service worth a lot. Even if you don't get the subscription, you can can listen to full songs, before you buy them with the music service you like.

Windows 8 has fast boot times but it causes lower fps in games because of no updates on windows 8 support and still lots of incompatiblity with software. Going with Windows 8 meant that your os wont become obsolete with the future games (dx 11.1) and software.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You know what it really is? It's from a technical aspect. Instead of just being the user. It's more difficult to navigate to essential utilities and get to familiar places. even typing in general descriptions in the search doesn't give you anything. They stapled a mobile UI over a desktop workplace. So multitasking is not even flawless as it was with 7. Went back to 7. Boot times with my ssd make it not worth keeping 8. Get it if you want but I don't like an OS choosing what it does and I feel like there's little control and things just aren't straight forward for the standard desktop user. And anyone say get a touch screen is retarded because switching between to mediums of control is pointless.

You can perfectly do this in Windows 8. You just don't know how and think you can't.

They are several ways:

-> See ribbon bar on folders

-> Right-click on the bottom left corner of your screen (or do Win+X). This menu is customizable as well.

-> Win+W allows you to search through settings. Or you can click on Setting before or after your search on the Start Screen

-> Control Panel pinned items to the Start Screen will be searchable under Apps section

As for touch screen is pointless, it's because you can't see beyond what you have. Windows 8 is a start of a new era of computers. People say that the desktop is dead, I say a BIG NO.

Desktop computer setup will change. Will still have keyboard and mouse... but also digitize pen support and multitouch as well... as do you do it? Wacom has the idea with Cintiq.

While this is professional tool, you can easily imagine a lower end screen, no need to have pressure sensitive pen, and controls on the side of the screen, making these screen much cheaper. This is just to give you the idea. Keybard and mouse will still be relevant, but you can do more than you could not do properly before without expensive professional targetted tools: you can't draw, you can't even do math. Imagine in class, as a student, with a tablet with keyboard and digitize pen. You can type your noted with Microsoft OneNote (an excellent, in fact the best, note taking software), and where for math or physics or just to draw a diagram or graph, you use the digitize pen. Oh wait we have this already! It's called the Surface Pro, coming soon. This will be the evolution of the computer. The Pen and touchscreen will COMPLIMENT the keyboard and mouse, as did the mouse did with the keyboard. People thought that the mouse was replacing the keyboard, and ditching it in it's early days... they didn't see that it was a tool to compliment it. This will also solve numerious health problems with the poor ergonimics of our computers despite our attempts to ake things better with adjustable stand monitor, and mouse, such as neck pain, back pain, carpel tunnel syndrome and more.