Could an alternator be used to power a PC?

3 Lions
1 hour ago, tbake0155 said:

I'm 99% sure that it's not false.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find a resource to describe this (searching google for car alternators is a huge hit).  The spikes will be fractions of a second and will not show up on a voltmeter, but they will destroy sensitive electronics.  If I had more time I'd search for it, but we can agree to disagree since it's not really a major issue. 

1 hour ago, tbake0155 said:

Sorry for the double post, but searching for transient over-voltage pretty much clears this up.  If you still disagree, I consider you take your argument to an electrical engineer and not debate with me, since all I can do is regurgitate what I've seen on this topic.

So you're pretty much saying you aren't informed enough to support what you're saying, and to defer to someone else if I still disagree. That really bolsters your opinion. Even skimming over the PDF you provided it states overvoltage from an alternator occurs when a battery is disconnected while the car is running. Which is not a normal condition. 

40-400ms for a voltage spike is a long time, and would be viewable on an oscilloscope. This event is something I've never seen in my professional career. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

6 hours ago, vetali said:

So you're pretty much saying you aren't informed enough to support what you're saying, and to defer to someone else if I still disagree. That really bolsters your opinion. Even skimming over the PDF you provided it states overvoltage from an alternator occurs when a battery is disconnected while the car is running. Which is not a normal condition. 

40-400ms for a voltage spike is a long time, and would be viewable on an oscilloscope. This event is something I've never seen in my professional career. 

I'm truly not informed enough to support what I'm saying, but I would not intentionally spread false information.  I am certain that I previously saw evidence of what I'm referring to, and thus did not create the idea from my imagination.  Also, when I say not visible on a voltmeter, I mean a multi-meter tool and not an oscilloscope.  You would certainly be able to see these types of spikes on an oscilloscope.

Although I cannot argue with your stance, I have found more evidence that what I'm referring to does in fact exist.  It's my (limited) understanding that even the discharge of each spark plug will cause transient voltage spikes in the system (because it's a load that appears and disappears). Here's an article that I found: http://www.electronicdesign.com/power/eliminate-those-automotive-load-dump-circuit-protection-headaches.  It appears that automotive power supplies are inherently noisy and transient.

I will concede to your expertise, and it's possible that I'm mistaken and not interpreting the materials I'm presenting to you correctly.

Alternator can and do spike up to 100v or higher. This occurs when the connection to the battery is disturbed, could be caused by incorrect installation of battery, or high levels of corrosion on terminals.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Unless you bypass the rectifier and regulator on an automotive alternator, it's going to put out 13.8 or 14.4 VDC. Most alternators on cars are rated at 70amp output, some are more. So a smaller alternator can produce about 980 watts. That should be plenty for running most computers, assuming that you don't have anything else connected to the alternator. The safest option would be to use a pure sine wave inverter to convert the 12v to 120/240v for the computer's power supply. This is inefficient because you would essentially be converting 12v -> 120/240 -> 12v/5v/3.3. there are some micro atx motherboards which allow a single 12v input, but the electrical noise from the alternator would probably cause issues with the computer.

`