Seagate Barracuda VS Western Digital Black

SKOONJar

So I am looking into doing a mass storage array for my pc consisting of a few hdd's in RAID 0. My question being Is there a noticable performance difference in something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386216286&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+barracuda+1tb That I can get for 55 a pop compared to something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD1002FAEX-Internal-Desktop/dp/B0036Q7MV0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386216345&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+black+1tb That is 88 a pop.

I am doing a 4 drive raid 0 array so those seagates are really compelling at the price that they are at. Also before any of you tell me no on raid 0 I have a online back up I am doing that will more than cover my space.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Either one. They are both good. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

WD Black, becasue of warranty.

^This. Warranty is key to HDD shopping.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

^This. Warranty is key to HDD shopping.

Do you guys know what the warranty looks like on the seagate I cant seem to find the numbers... I know the black has 5 years also remember guys this is 120$ difference in price by the time its all said and done...

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

only go 5 year warranty, WD black is what you want.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Do you guys know what the warranty looks like on the seagate I cant seem to find the numbers... I know the black has 5 years also remember guys this is 120$ difference in price by the time its all said and done...

There's a 2 year warranty.

As for performance, there's not much of a difference. 

I'd go for the barracuda as blacks aren't worth the money imo.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Newegg says you only get 2 year warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Or for less than the price of the seagates I could get 2 WD RED 2TB for about 95$ those have a 3yr on them but I know reds are higher rated...

i say go Black because once you go Western Digital you never go back

I had to get a new HDD through WD once and it was a snap. easy.

Plus the black drive looks purdy

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Or for less than the price of the seagates I could get 2 WD RED 2TB for about 95$ those have a 3yr on them but I know reds are higher rated...

Where do you get two WD Red 2TB's for $95?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Where do you get two WD Red 2TB's for $95?

Sorry 95$ a pop

As for performance, there's not much of a difference. 

I'd go for the barracuda as blacks aren't worth the money imo.

I have a 6 years old Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 350GB still running like a champ not as my boot and main data drive that;s for sure haha but for secondary stuff.

I have a 6 years old Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 350GB still running like a champ not as my boot and main data drive that;s for sure haha but for secondary stuff.

I am currently running on a 4 year old seagate barracuda 7200 1tb. Runs like the day it was new... 

I have a WD veloceraptor, about 5 years now and still working. I also have a samsung HDD that i bought at the same time, also works, dont know much about seagate, but i do know WD last! Atleast they outlasted my Maxtor HDD's :)

Veloceraptors are big money... I think those have me a little too sketched out to even consider getting one...

You'd be better off grabbing a Barracuda off Newegg with the extended warranty, still much cheaper than a WD Black. 5 years warranty for both, $112 for a 2TB Barracuda, $150 WD Black.

Obviously the Barracuda.

You'd be better off grabbing a Barracuda off Newegg with the extended warranty, still much cheaper than a WD Black. 5 years warranty for both, $112 for a 2TB Barracuda, $150 WD Black.

Obviously the Barracuda.

Doing 4 1tb drives for raid speed specifically... But those 2tb reds seemed like a good deal thats why I brought them up.

I don't care about HDD warranty beyond 1 year. I'm generally not willing or able to wait for a return, so if a drive fails, I typically end up getting a new unit anyways. But more importantly, after a couple of years the drive size is just too small and one can generally buy much more storage for the original price of the unit. Segate, WD, and Toshiba all build good hdd. Buy the least expensive that has the specs you want.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Doing 4 1tb drives for raid speed specifically... But those 2tb reds seemed like a good deal thats why I brought them up.

Well the same goes for the 1TB drive as well!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840 + 3yr extended warranty only comes up to $72

while http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 alone is already $90, if you're buying 4 of it that's exactly $72(lol) saved for another 1TB Barracuda just for the lels

The reds are not 7200 rpm. WD is not terribly forthcoming on the subject but speculation is that the red drives spin somewhere in the 5000 rpm range.

Hope you intend to have good backups for the RAID 0 array. It's a pain when they break.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Oh brother! So much anecdotal tomfoolery. Just because you have some decade-old drive from company X doesn't mean squat.

WD Reds are not good for performance - from what I hear they are incredibly quiet and power efficient but you pay for it in high latency and poor random operation.

Gonna do two of these. I get the storage that I wanted with the warranty you guys say I need for a price not much more than the seagates. :D http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-Desktop/dp/B004CSIG1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386255024&sr=8-1&keywords=western+digital+black+2tb