Need a help with choosing programing language.

yildizYUSUF

Hello, I want to create a program that works like search engine. When I type a name or something program should bring all of the information. Which language is better for this kind of program?

Thanks for the help.

It depends, if you want to search through a database like structure then learn SQL, it is what you use to 'program' databases. In that case the language you use to connect to the database doesn't really matter.

You will most likely want to use a database to persistantly store data instead of rebuilding it every time the program starts.

If not any program will do just as well as another, interpreter languages like python are slower however finding bugs can be much easier compared to a compiled language such as C.

Have you programmed before / are you knowlegable with databases etc. Could you also give a more detailed insight into the project?

I have no idea about programming something. I don't know any programming language. 

The program suppose to work like this. Let say I typed SKYPE to the program, then it will bring me the information about skype and a download link. When pressed on name or the link the program will start to download on computer.

19 minutes ago, yildizYUSUF said:

I have no idea about programming something.

Don't run before you can walk. Try learning C#, Java, VB, or Python IMO then go from there. Could take you a year or so to get comfortable enough to tackle this.

I edit my posts a lot.

17 minutes ago, yildizYUSUF said:

I have no idea about programming something. I don't know any programming language. 

The program suppose to work like this. Let say I typed SKYPE to the program, then it will bring me the information about skype and a download link. When pressed on name or the link the program will start to download on computer.

That sounds like a huge undertaking, you would have to build an app that connects to some search engine online and then make sure it grabs the important information that you want. If you want something like a search engine (like Google) we're talking about something really complex, and I'd recommend you learn some programming language, and read up on advanced computer science to understand how to build this.

1 hour ago, yildizYUSUF said:

So starting with C# is good for beginners?

Depends on your goals, I'd pick C++ over C# any day, but something that is easy to pick up is Python.

C++ as a beginner without any idea of programming? Horrible idea imho. That's like training for a marathon as a person without any running experiences and strapping weights to your legs and arms.

Go with python, ruby or maybe Swift or Rust. While C and C++ are powerful indeed, small errors can lead to massive hiccups. 

That program sounds more like a web application that's gathering info from google or other search engines. PHP, Javascript, Ruby or Python would be good ideas. Coding your own crawler to index the web would be a stupid idea - just like entering all those information by hand.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

31 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

C++ as a beginner without any idea of programming? Horrible idea imho. That's like training for a marathon as a person without any running experiences and strapping weights to your legs and arms.

Go with python, ruby or maybe Swift or Rust. While C and C++ are powerful indeed, small errors can lead to massive hiccups. 

That program sounds more like a web application that's gathering info from google or other search engines. PHP, Javascript, Ruby or Python would be good ideas. Coding your own crawler to index the web would be a stupid idea - just like entering all those information by hand.

I didn't say that, I said I would pick C++ over C#, and then I said Python would be better for a beginner. Basically, any script language is going to be good for a beginner, I just picked Python because it was the first I thought of and some schools offer classes in Python rather than the plethora of other script languages available.

46 minutes ago, Sack said:

I didn't say that, I said I would pick C++ over C#, and then I said Python would be better for a beginner. Basically, any script language is going to be good for a beginner, I just picked Python because it was the first I thought of and some schools offer classes in Python rather than the plethora of other script languages available.

also python is out right awesome for quick creation and debugging. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

53 minutes ago, Sack said:

Got you wrong in that case, man. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Just now, Erik Sieghart said:

Not one that's built into the IDE from the start.

Someone with no programming experience can create a .NET GUI in about 10 minutes.

That's what I meant. If it has a decent GUI designer for it, then it doesn't matter what language you use.

10 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's what I meant. If it has a decent GUI designer for it, then it doesn't matter what language you use.

I would do the search part as an API that way you can not only search it but use it in any language. 

20 hours ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Try learning C#, Java, VB, or Python IMO then go from there.

I don't know why you would suggest VB for something that's not a legacy use case O.o

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

23 hours ago, yildizYUSUF said:

Hello, I want to create a program that works like search engine.

Write in C.

Write in C.

what kind of search engine? regardless, you'll need a language that works well with an API of the source of the information you'll use.

Avoid platform specific languages like .net, 

I suggest you use a language that is decent that supports what you want to do well.

C, java if you like system based languages.

Python is good if you're a beginner, lots of support for this but hardware performance for this isnt great compared to system langauges.

OpenCL if there is a lot of processing to do but you can do it in parallel.

I once made an async multithreaded search program to search for specific texts in files, it was blazing fast (faster than windows search at the time) and i wrote it in java, so theres no such thing that java is slow :P. Java only has memory overhead which is no biggie as long as you have the ram bandwidths needed for your program.

If this search engine is web based, you can always just use web based programming languages (i would suggest php with minimal javascript).

8 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I would do the search part as an API that way you can not only search it but use it in any language. 

The problem though is how much does it do for you? I like Visual Studio because it handles a lot of the nitty and gritty details about getting a GUI set up. I recently delved into Tcl for Python and while it wasn't that hard to get a GUI application running, it came with its gotchas that I don't think a lot of beginners would have a fun time trying to figure out.

Like the fact that a GUI app needs to be multithreaded, otherwise it hangs if you do something remotely taxing.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem though is how much does it do for you? I like Visual Studio because it handles a lot of the nitty and gritty details about getting a GUI set up. I recently delved into Tcl for Python and while it wasn't that hard to get a GUI application running, it came with its gotchas that I don't think a lot of beginners would have a fun time trying to figure out.

Like the fact that a GUI app needs to be multithreaded, otherwise it hangs if you do something remotely taxing.

yeah python isn't great for GUI but if you made an API then connected to that from c# it means you're not mixing your logic and your GUI. You can do that inside c# but I can see that getting rather hard to manage

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

yeah python isn't great for GUI but if you made an API then connected to that from c# it means you're not mixing your logic and your GUI. You can do that inside c# but I can see that getting rather hard to manage

That sounds like more work than I care to deal with :P

I still stand that unless you have something like Visual Studio, making GUI applications isn't all that fun.

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

You can do that inside c# but I can see that getting rather hard to manage

That's what design patterns are for.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 hour ago, Nuluvius said:

That's what design patterns are for.

OP is no so that is a whole of a read, I think there was this person once their name was nulu something that had a fantastic list of reading.