Another Ryzen 7 or 7700k post

Hey there,

so I'm building a new PC this month and im cracking my head over the question of which CPU would suit me best. I mostly do gaming on my 4k monitor while i watch videos or something on another monitor, idk if this counts as multitasking yet, but with my current xeon i get stuttering etc. I also use Ableton a lot, but in that im already happy with my xeon performance, no worries here. I know the 8700k is "out", but according to some articles i read online today, it seems almost impossible to get one until early 2018. Also the CPU has a whole 360mm rad custom loop on its own, so thermals aren't much of a problem. I'm not afraid of overclocking either, which is why i chose the 1700x over the 1800x. Furthermore, ram compatibility seems to be horrible with ryzen/AM4 motherboards, as far as i could tell from my google research, although i have to admit that many of those posts were from a few months back, maybe BIOS updates fixed these problems. (I would like some RGB Ram like the Trident Z, much RBG, that's why i care about compatibility)
Basically, this is my story and I'm ripping my hair out bc i can't decide on a CPU. It's very hard to find benchmarks for these kind of multitasking situations.

If you're playing at 4K, then CPU core strength doesn't really matter as long as it's decent, so you want as many cores as you can get for multitasking. So 1700 all the way. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I personally would get an 8700K

I literally just said that the 8700k isn't available until next year ..

At 4k the bottleneck is the GPU, not the CPU...

My G.Skill Trident Z run at 3200MHz just fine. I would get the Ryzen 7 1700 if you are gaming at 4k, otherwise I would probably tell you to go with Intel if it was at lower resolutions.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, N1Marc said:

I literally just said that the 8700k isn't available until next year ..

I noticed that, and edited my post to say that Newegg has them in stock last I checked.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I noticed that, and edited my post to say that Newegg has them in stock last I checked.

I live in europe, so sadly that doesn't apply to me :(

I'd personally go for Ryzen 7 1700. Sure, the 7700K is going to beat it in gaming, but Ryzen 7 1700 is still very good while being better at nearly everything else (encoding, streaming, rendering, etc.).

2 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

I'd personally go for Ryzen 7 1700. Sure, the 7700K is going to beat it in gaming, but Ryzen 7 1700 is still very good while being better at nearly everything else (encoding, streaming, rendering, etc.).

See, that's what i thought too.

Thanks guys, great to get some confirmation on my choise  from you haha

ryzen memory support has gotten significantly better than when it launched. Trident z has also had great compatibility with ryzen from the get go. Best to avoid msi mobos (and possibly gigabyte from what I've been told) 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

AM4 has no problems with memory as soon as you get decent Asus mobo or ASRock X370 Taichi/ Pro Gaming.

Crosshair 6 Hero has the best mem support imo.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

45 minutes ago, dave_k said:

AM4 has no problems with memory as soon as you get decent Asus mobo or ASRock X370 Taichi/ Pro Gaming.

Crosshair 6 Hero has the best mem support imo.

So my original plan was to go with a ryzen 7 1700x, Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD X370, and 2 DIMM's of Trident Z RGB 3200. So you're saying that's a good choise ?

2 hours ago, N1Marc said:

So my original plan was to go with a ryzen 7 1700x, Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD X370, and 2 DIMM's of Trident Z RGB 3200. So you're saying that's a good choise ?

There's also an upside to your possible build. That AM4 motherboard will provide you with at least one more generation of upgrade...., or even two.

If you aren't going to wait for Coffee Lake CPUs to be in stock then another option will be CPUs for x299 socket like 7820x or 7800x etc. I'm not sure if that platform would be a smart choice as of now.

Sheep, fluffy sheep, flock of fluffy sheep.