Safari default home page

I know this may come across as a newbie question to mac; however I typically do not use mac computers. My teacher asked me to reset his homepage for safari.  I set the homepage to google.com through Safari > Preferences > General > Homepage.  I thought that this would fix the issue but it did not.  The homepage setting says google.com yet it did not really change the homepage.  How do I fix this issue?

Im beginning to suspect that since it is a school computer, any changes made to safari settings take no effect.  There is nothing that happens when I change any of the settings.  

Upon further research I have found this article about a person with a similar issue.  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/safari-preferences-not-saving.1932653/

I am not sure if it is possible to delete folders like this on a school computer.  

Do you think I should attempt the method shown in the link?

There are 2 additional settings that effect how a new tab/window opens. In that same window (General) there is Safari Opens With, New Tabs Open With and New Windows Open with. If those aren't set to the home page you will probably never see it.

It is possible, though rare, to keep user preferences from being changed. It's unlikely that anywhere would block setting the homepage though as it poses no security concern. I say this as a Mac System Admin with experience in education.

3 minutes ago, argyle said:

There are 2 additional settings that effect how a new tab/window opens. In that same window (General) there is Safari Opens With, New Tabs Open With and New Windows Open with. If those aren't set to the home page you will probably never see it.

The first option worked.  Thank you!