R7 1700 ram compatibility

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Then they have to spend more money or save money and be "fine", how much of a better OC will that board at $150 give you over the $70 board with "6" + 3 or 4 + 3? 100mhz? 200mhz at most?

I went with the other boards because those ones all have external BCLK for more fine tuning and even more overbuilt VRMs.

Nah.

It wont help you get better OC (except your mobo, that one is real garbage in terms of voltage control), but it wont blow up after a year or so and potentionally blow up your CPU.

You need think sometimes.

If the B350 garbage was so fine, why would the better mobos even exist?

@jdwii @KarathKasun Would tell you and agree with me.

Your arguments are non existent, because you dont measure the temp of the VRM and dont even have an idea what is going on under the heatsink

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

24 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I don't have any way to measure it's temps, I just threw a fan on it. It survived a few hours of firestrike without crashing.

I'm not even sure if firestrike pushes the CPU to 100% at all times never used that benchmark does it?

19 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If it works without crashing then it's "fine", and there's no real alternative as no one makes a cheap solid motherboard yet like AM3+ had in the ASrock 970A board for $70. Though the 4+2/3/4 B350 boards are likely a bit better then that "6" + 3 phase. I also don't really see any middle ground between the B350 boards that work, and the $200+ USD boards like the Taichi/Gaming 7/Crosshair VI. The performance difference won't be too much as I can still hit 3900mhz on my board with an R71700.

There's all the math for the VRM including it's heat generated.

Um no? Your caps are only rated to run at 100C temps for so long its not so much the mosfets as it is that. 

Least you have a fan over the VRM but still temps have to be getting to 100C or so which will not last for long if the user uses his 8 core ryzen for work instead of just gaming. Encoding daily or video editing any other type of heavy load that pushes the CPU to 80%+. 

I say this as a person who actually does care about hardware and people enjoying their setups. I personally know from experience that a Tomahawk not only sucks for memory support it also sucks in terms of VRM temps the ASUS board actually is more efficient but its not good enough for a 1.425V 8 core ryzen even with a fan over the VRM. I already read several comments where their MSI B350 board broke and took their CPU with it but this is with people who are into folding or some other task that pushes their CPU to max. 

Gaming is only going to push this CPU to 50% or so making it be fine in those cases.  

2 minutes ago, jdwii said:
14 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Yall are going to make me buy some thermal testing equipment aren't you...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Stop talking junk and accept facts.

Also, if you dont believe us (you definitely should), go to overclock.net and ask chew*.

He will convince you with one comment.

Also, the has a video on youtube of frying B350 from Asus, and that is significantly better VRM than your one has.

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well i'm not sure haha you can look at hwinfo64 and see VRM temps i think on your board. You do have a 3X2 phase board if you are using that asrock that might make temps lower but have far less voltage control so v-droop is an issue. Not dissing that board for 4 core ryzen maybe even a modest OC 6 core. 

Run a stress test or encode a video in handbrake and open up hwinfo64 and take a picture for us so we can see the temps after about 15min under load. Just make sure its actually stressing your CPU. 

Edit to add more 

I will say to what you said a few comments ago you asked what would a user gain from getting a higher-end board compared to what they can get with a current 80$ b350 boards. 

Well from my experience better memory compatibility my Tomahawk just wouldn't do 3200mhz stable what matter what voltage i used or timings soon as i got my taichi boom worked perfect tested for over 6 hours in HCI memtest. 

VRM cooling not having to even think about it is nice and having  better power delivery actually allows for more stable overclocks do to having nice voltage control 

I'm more certain that X370 boards will work to 2020 over b350 boards receiving bios updates.   

Last if you have a current B350 board that is 4+2 phases or less(which yes 3X2 phase is actually worse imo) then i wouldn't go above 1.2V on an 8 core Ryzen. 1.3V on a 6 core ryzen and 1.425V is fine for a 4 core ryzen. 

Keep with those voltages and you don't have to worry about VRM much i would still recommend a fan over the VRM anyways if you can.   

9 minutes ago, jdwii said:

Well i'm not sure haha you can look at hwinfo64 and see VRM temps i think on your board. You do have a 3X2 phase board if you are using that asrock that might make temps lower but have far less voltage control so v-droop is an issue. Not dissing that board for 4 core ryzen maybe even a modest OC 6 core. 

Run a stress test or encode a video in handbrake and open up hwinfo64 and take a picture for us so we can see the temps after about 15min under load. Just make sure its actually stressing your CPU. 

I think the lowside is frying, but i am not sure if the sensor is there.

Most of the 21W of total heat is 15W from the LS, that is 2.5W per FET.

The Røja is 40°C/W, so it is definitely around 100°C on the casing.

Just to chime in here, when making a PC investment, you really don't want to skimp out on your motherboard.

Honestly, outside of your PSU and your motherboard, you could literally skimp on EVERYTHING else.

Never skimp on your PSU and motherboard.

I will say that the Ryzen 7 1700 does pull much power at stock, but I will tell you with an overclock just pushing 1.35v, the power draw peaks at nearly 130W.

It goes even higher when you surpass that.

That's a big reason why @dave_k is adament about VRM quality and Ryzen 7. These things suck power once you start overclocking them.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

@dave_k @jdwii I'm about to buy Asus's TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING, is it as shitty for Ryzen 7? even if im not going to crazy oc, maybe 3.8~

7 minutes ago, ABehery said:

Looks like 4+2 is likely "fine"

34 minutes ago, jdwii said:

21 minutes ago, dave_k said:

There's that after 5 cinebench runs, isn't moving from 29/30C, may just be broken, though it does switch between those numbers a bit.

VRM cinebench.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, ABehery said:

@dave_k @jdwii I'm about to buy Asus's TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING, is it as shitty for Ryzen 7? even if im not going to crazy oc, maybe 3.8~

You are fine if you stick to lower voltage like 1.2V you should get 3.6ghz at least from that. Beleive it or not Ryzen is a pain when it comes to its voltage walls to get 3.6ghz you might only need 1.15V but to get 3.7ghz you need 1.25V to get 3.8 you need like 1.35V or more. Least with my chip. 

For awhile i was using ryzen master and changing my speeds one for gaming and basic usage and one for encoding 

I think i did 3.8ghz 1.35V for gaming/basic usage, 1.2V 3.6ghz for encoding 

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

There's that after 5 cinebench runs, isn't moving from 29/30C, may just be broken, though it does switch between those numbers a bit.

VRM cinebench.png

Not bad if true but i doubt those are real temps as that's even cooler then my board haha unless you live in Alaska or something and have your PC outside. 

Also notice the vdroop that i was saying if you have that set to 1.4V or whatever its dropping to 1.32V under load. 

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

VRM cinebench.png

You need to run Prime95 Large FFT test to push the VRM to its limits.

It will reach 100°C+ (obviously you cant measure it because you have no IR thermometer)

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

VRM cinebench.png

That's not a real stress test though.

You want something that keeps it consistent.

I stressed my OC with AIDA64 and now Prime95 for 20+ minutes to get real max temps.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

12 minutes ago, jdwii said:

It's set to 1.375V , will run Prime 95, did that when I first got my 240 AIO though

Ya it's not changing even with Prime 95

Is a $10 laser thermometer good enough for yall?
https://www.amazon.com/HITRENDS-Infrared-Thermometer-50°C-400°C-Temperature/dp/B01MSUHU9M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1507146661&sr=8-8&keywords=laser+thermometer

Spoiler

Yeah it will work i should buy one for me too make sure you aim towards the back of the board by the mosfets 

Use a stress test that keeps it begged for 15min at least so VRM temps reach their max temps. Prime95 In-place large FFTs for the test. 

35 minutes ago, jdwii said:

Don't have access to the back of the board, got a HAF XB

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

My ASSRock AB350 Pro4 has the same temperature reading in HWiNFO. I simply assumed it had no corresponding sensor on the board and the program simply gave a dummy reading. ASRock B350s are fairly budget oriented, so to cut costs those fancy temperature sensors were probably the first to go. I also see your board suffers some pretty nasty vdroop as mine does. Your screenshot shows 1.375 maximum vcore, dropping to as low as 1.275. A full -0.1v. My 1600, at 3.8GHz 1.35v has dropped to 1.256v. It's why I can't break 4GHz, the voltage required to keep it stable due to vdroop is simply too high.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz