1700x or 7700k premiere pro cs5.5/ cs6

Sloecooker

Hey, 

I'm planning a couple of editing rigs which will be using premiere Cs 5.5 or if I can find the discs Cs 6. The option to change the software isn't really there for reasons I won't go into but the hardware can be altered if needed.

I currently have 2 different plans ready, one with Ryzen 1700x and one with 7700k. These are essentially the same price and all the hardware that can be is the same, they won't be overclocked due to this being for work so 'fastest out of the box' is the aim. 

Another point is that the workflow is almost exclusively 1080p, there may be some 2k thrown in but that's it. 

I know Ryzen is great for editing ect but in all benchmarks I have found are hovering around the 4k area with nothing giving me a relevant comparison. 

So in short given the following parameters,

Premiere pro cs5.5/ cs6

Predominantly 1080p workflow

Same cost

NOT overclocking

Does anyone have any knowledge on which would be best, this exact question seems to be Google proof! 

Many appreciations in advance. 

ryzen

9 minutes ago, Sloecooker said:

but in all benchmarks I have found are hovering around the 4k area with nothing giving me a relevant comparison. 

ofc it is a revelent comparison,what makes you think it isnt

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

This should help you:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Kaby-Lake-Ryzen-7-969/

Premiere Pro is a mixture of singlethreaded and multithreaded workloads, I'd wait for the 8700K and then decide. Out of those two that you mentioned, I'd choose the 1700X.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I can't find anything as to whether the older software could utilise all the cores and when looking over benchmarks the only 1080p I could fine was from a 4k source. In which the results are far less clear than in other 4k only results. Also it has been said to avoid AMD for premiere in the past before Ryzen was a thing. 

pic_disp.jpg

just wait  a week and get the i7 8700k?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Thank you, I have looked into those results also but they all source footage from 4k upwards. I also had no idea coffee lake was out so soon, but i don't think that will help as to whether intel is better given my specific needs. I don't know whether older premiere can utilise all the cores. 

1 hour ago, Sloecooker said:

Hey, 

I'm planning a couple of editing rigs which will be using premiere Cs 5.5 or if I can find the discs Cs 6. The option to change the software isn't really there for reasons I won't go into but the hardware can be altered if needed.

I currently have 2 different plans ready, one with Ryzen 1700x and one with 7700k. These are essentially the same price and all the hardware that can be is the same, they won't be overclocked due to this being for work so 'fastest out of the box' is the aim. 

Another point is that the workflow is almost exclusively 1080p, there may be some 2k thrown in but that's it. 

I know Ryzen is great for editing ect but in all benchmarks I have found are hovering around the 4k area with nothing giving me a relevant comparison. 

So in short given the following parameters,

Premiere pro cs5.5/ cs6

Predominantly 1080p workflow

Same cost

NOT overclocking

Does anyone have any knowledge on which would be best, this exact question seems to be Google proof! 

Many appreciations in advance. 

wait for coffee lake. its coming tomorrow.

but on the topic, i'd choose 1700

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I have made 2 different rigs for this scenario. One with 7700k and one with 1700x. Results are varied. It totally depends which codec you encode with and where you do the rendering. The two systems have different strengths but as a conclusion they are both good depending on what you are doing, for example intel wins easily for encoding to h264 dispite less threads but AMD wins when making a play back dvd. So it totally depends what you are doing. 

1 hour ago, Sloecooker said:

Just an update, I have made 2 different rigs for this scenario. One with 7700k and one with 1700x. Results are varied. It totally depends which codec you encode with and where you do the rendering. The two systems have different strengths but as a conclusion they are both good depending on what you are doing, for example intel wins easily for encoding to h264 dispite less threads but AMD wins when making a play back dvd. So it totally depends what you are doing. 

What about this?

8700K-8400-49.jpg

Taken from the Hardware Canucks 8700k review

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76162-intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-i5-8400-review-7.html