SOLVED Can I Cut GPU

Mayhemster

Hi All 

I’m working on a mid to mount my GPU vertical. So for so good, but the tab in front of the SLI bridge is making contact with the radiator at the exhaust. I want to cut it down a bit but am warriors this will damage the card. 

Any done a mod mod like this before?

AAACA614-CC78-4B74-8DD4-4976D50C8794.jpeg

BEECF9C7-2B01-4A90-B654-1DB4E36A6CC2.jpeg

Not a good idea, since there might be traces in a inner layer.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I can't see very well in the picture, but looks like some traces run up there. I have no clue what they might be for, could be important and brick your card, could be only related to sli in which case it would depend on if you care... chances of destroying your card if you cut it... ~67%

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

if u wanna void ur warranty forever and risk breaking it at the same time, cut ahead

if u give any kind of shit about the card then dont cut it lol

(◑‿◐)

Never cut a PCB unless you want to kill a card.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

13 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

1. It looks like there are traces where you want to cut. If you proceed with this mod, it is very likely you will kill your card. 

2. If this is juat a mod for a aesthetic reason, don't cut your card to begin with. No mod is currently worth the price of a 1080 ti. In 5 years that will change when we can get 1080 tis for $50, but for now this is what you have to live with. 

I wouldn't circumcise a GPU for looks. 

27 minutes ago, Mayhemster said:

snip

It looks like a couple of ground planes, but that means there are probably some buses underneath them. That PCB will have like 6 internal layers, without the board view files, I cannot say if there is anything there or not, however don't do it, there are no keep out zones there, there could be a lot of internal traces. I can already see 3 vias going to internal grounded points and a voltage probe point right beside it. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I wouldn't circumcise a GPU for looks. 

It looks like a couple of ground planes, but that means there are probably some buses underneath them. That PCB will have like 6 internal layers, without the board view files, I cannot say if there is anything there or not, however don't do it, there are no keep out zones there, there could be a lot of internal traces. I can already see 3 vias going to internal grounded points and a voltage probe point right beside it. 

Excellent info - wasn’t sure if these were multi layered or not. I was concerned they might be. 

I cant mont the card atm - but I think I may be able to modify the radiator.

that’ll be the next rabit hole. 

Chees 

Just now, Mayhemster said:

Excellent info - wasn’t sure if these were multi layered or not. I was concerned they might be. 

I cant mont the card atm - but I think I may be able to modify the radiator.

that’ll be the next rabit hole. 

Chees 

you'd be taking less of a risk to cut and solder in a new piece to the rad than to cut the PCB. 

Yours faithfully

i think you should look into modding your case slightly - so you can move the radiator a few millimeters instead 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, mok said:

i think you should look into modding your case slightly - so you can move the radiator a few millimeters instead 

Yeah - I haven’t figured out a good solution to do that yet. With my current mounting method I am as far back as I can be. My PCI bracket is making contact with the mother board.

It can be done, it just wouldn’t be as clean and could be much less secure the the method I am using. 

I’ll have to se once I’ve got everything in its final location. Certainly still an option though. 

if you don't have a matx board you could just put your card in the second pcie slot. Even if it's only pcie 3.0x8 you'll see the exact same performance out of the card...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W