Is this a server problem in Ubisoft or is it a problem with us

so my friend has been playing The Crew for a while and he has a long progress in the game compared to me. he has completed the story and he has also completed most challenges and is at level 59. recently i started playing the game and i am in level 14 now. i think i have finished the story by 25% and done some challenges as well. so today both of us tried to play together today for the very first time. he is in my friend list in Uplay and when i tried to invite him to my crew in the game he is unable to get in.when he accepts the invitation it gives the error "unable to join the crew".he sees a red cross in my profile picture as well. same thing happens when he invites me. and i can see him in the map sometimes but when i go to his position his car is not visible to me. when i go towards other online players they appear nicely. is this some problem from the ubisoft side or is it some problem like he is in a higher level than i am in so i cant join him. but he tried to go and put a public event invitation to see if can play together like that, however i did not get the invite but some other random players were able to see it and they joined after a couple of minutes and out of those players one guy was level 5 so i think player level doesnt matter for inviting to a crew. what is going on? is there any fix to this problem?