Making a external battery for a laptop

so i wanted to have a external battery for my laptop

the charger for my dell vostro 5568 provides 19.5V to the laptop

i took a dewalt 18v drill battery and connected it (i know the 18650 lithium cells makes the fully charged battery go to 21.25V but i read somewhere that electronics could operate in between 10% so im thinking that is fine)

but there was a 3rd wire in the laptop cable. 

i measured it and it was 3.4V DC and also 3.4V AC for some reason

i took and connected one of the cells of the dewalt battery and it gave it 4.25V that is a litte high

which comes to my problem when i plug in the dewalt battery it says plugged in not charging (in windows)

dont fucking do this...

You're gonna kill the damn laptop and the expensive battery

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

5 minutes ago, Jrock said:

dont fucking do this...

You're gonna kill the damn laptop and the expensive battery

well i have already plugged it in and the laptop still works and charges with the original charger

So basically you want a powerbank? Why not just get this from Dell themselves then instead of risking destroying your battery and potentially your laptop with it. Yours is on the compatability list on the bottom of the page.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I guess its for communication with the charger... maybe using IC2 or something propietary. I guess this will becom difficult for you. I would try to give in the 18650 power into in attached battery directly. So you connect them up in parallel and therefor have more capacity. It's worth a try but don't blame me if you destroy you battery.

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

So basically you want a powerbank? Why not just get this from Dell themselves then instead of risking destroying your battery and potentially your laptop with it.

well i dident know it existed

1 minute ago, patrick4525 said:

well i dident know it existed

Well now you have a safer alternative :) 

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, flextrex said:

I guess its for communication with the charger... maybe using IC2 or something propietary. I guess this will becom difficult for you. I would try to give in the 18650 power into in attached battery directly. So you connect them up in parallel and therefor have more capacity. It's worth a try but don't blame me if you destroy you battery.

well i was hoping it was more simple

Just now, tikker said:

Well now you have a safer alternative :) 

correct. its a little expensive but its better than frying my laptop

Yeah. Almost a second *insert certain fruity company here* with their accesories :P 

10 minutes ago, patrick4525 said:

its expensive because its a pretty high power device ;)

also, the third wire is a "sense" line that communicates the charger's capabilities to the laptop in a really vague way.

i was hoping a custom bios could do something

am i correct in that?

you want to break stuff? because thats how you break stuff.

and no, custom bios would do more bad than good, also good freaking luck getting said custom bios written ;)