Moving from PC to Console to PC

I had a PC. It was a custom PC, my dad bought it from a local system integrator. It costed my dad 1000 MYR (311 USD). It was great for gaming at that time but over the years it became weak in performing such tasks. So, I ditched the PC for gaming and bought myself a PS3 slim. I modded the PC, nothing extreme just mounted a fan, overclocked the CPU, GPU, etc for fun. The PS3 was great for gaming until now I realised I missed having a PC. I missed going through modding games, fixing crashes, fixing bugs and the keyboard and mouse.

I want a new system for gaming, editing and I am a heavy multitasker.

I managed to rake up 4000 MYR (1300 USD) for a new rig. I learnt a lot from videos, forums and picked out the parts according to my needs. Here are the parts that I am going to get and the corresponding prices:

AMD FX 8350

I wanted the FX 8320 but the local retailer only have the FX 8350. They said that FX 8320's are replaced by FX 8350's at the FX 8320's price.

ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0

I think this board is the board to get if you want a budget system with AMD processors. The 990FXA-UD3 lacks a few features that I really want on the ASUS board.

Kingston HyperX Genesis 4GB X 2

I think 8GB of RAM is okay at the moment. I can always add more to 16GB in the future.

Sapphire R9 270 with BF 4

I was sceptical going with this card because the R9 290 is really awesome but If I went with the 290 I will less money to spend on storage, Case and PSU. So, I sticked with the R9 270.

Kingston SSDVnow 300 120GB

For OS and some applications only. I already have a 1TB external HDD. I can always add more storage.

Cooler Master V700

I want a PSU that I can trust for a long time. This one comes with a 5 year warranty and it's got good reviews.

Cooler Master HAF XB

This was the hardest choice to make. I wanted something portable, looks good, well thought out and unique. I wanted to go Prodigy M and an Intel system but I will be losing 4 vital CPU "cores". So, I went the HAF XB.

Viewsonic VX2370Smh-led 

IPS Panel, Small Bezel, "Affordable", Saw it in person the other day, Its really great. Need I say more?

Logitech G602

I wanted a wireless mouse and a practical one too. I don't want a laser sensor but I want programmable keys. Of course Logitech is the way to go.

CM Storm Quickfire TK Brown Switches

A good once again "affordable" keyboard with backlight. I chose brown switches because I wanted tactile feedback but not too much noise just in case my room mate or my family loses their minds.

Now I am just waiting for all my parts to arrive. (takes deep breath)

EDIT: This was the plan but like every other plan there are slight changes.  I actually bought these parts:

Intel 4670K

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming

Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X4GB

Sapphire R9 270

Cooler Master CM690III

Cooler Master V700

Logitech G602

Cooler Master Quickfire TK Brown Switches

Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Extended

Sony Pulse Elite Edition

AOC I2269VMW 21.5" IPS Monitor

Intel 530 Series 120GB SSD

These changes are because It was hard finding parts that I originally wanted. Anyways, I plan to do lots of upgrades to this PC in the future and parts can be rotated since I have two PC's.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Are you only shopping local or online as well? If it's only local, do they have a website you can link?

Is the system just for gaming? Are there any parts you can reuse from the old system?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What @CoolBeans said. That said, this is a solid build. Kudos on using Kingston stuff, many people tend to overlook them in favor of Corsair or Samsung for the SSD, but Kingston makes some nice products.

270x is a great card, but will leave you wanting so much more... Bar the SSD,..the rest of the build looks great. (Keep in mind cheap SSD's Mostly DO NOT HIT ADVERTISED RATED SPEEDS)

I have a few spare kingston SSD's around of variable size (64-128GB) and the bottom rung SSD's don't handle incompressable data well.

If you can stretch it, last gen 7970 if you can find one cheap online to send to yourself :P

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thanks for all the replies,

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Are you only shopping local or online as well? If it's only local, do they have a website you can link?

Is the system just for gaming? Are there any parts you can reuse from the old system?

I live in Malaysia and I get some of my parts through http://www.lelong.com.my/ (its kinda like ebay) and rest through my local store. I have about 1300 USD to spend but prices here are hiked up for some reason especially nvidia cards (The R9 290 nvidia equivalent in terms of pricing is the GTX 770). The system for gaming, video editing, photo editing and just everyday use. I do not want to reuse parts from the system because it will be used by my sister after I get it all cleaned up and modded to fit her use.

270x is a great card, but will leave you wanting so much more... Bar the SSD,..the rest of the build looks great. (Keep in mind cheap SSD's Mostly DO NOT HIT ADVERTISED RATED SPEEDS)

I have a few spare kingston SSD's around of variable size (64-128GB) and the bottom rung SSD's don't handle incompressable data well.

If you can stretch it, last gen 7970 if you can find one cheap online to send to yourself :P

So, I get a 1 TB WD Blue instead and a R9 280x now. Later down the road get a SSD?

So, I get a 1 TB WD Blue instead and a R9 280x now. Later down the road get a SSD?

I don't think it really matters too much with SSD's in terms of speed. I don't have high end specs and don't know about exact performances of different drives but I think any SSD is good enough. They are much better than HDD's and they are plenty fast for OS use. Again if you are doing extreme stuff, which it doesn't sound like you are, any ssd is good enough.

As for graphics card, I would suggest just saving for a little bit longer (i don't know how much time it takes to save in your currency though) and getting the 280x right away along with the ssd. There wouldn't be much value in going from 270x to 280x later.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I don't think it really matters too much with SSD's in terms of speed. I don't have high end specs and don't know about exact performances of different drives but I think any SSD is good enough. They are much better than HDD's and they are plenty fast for OS use. Again if you are doing extreme stuff, which it doesn't sound like you are, any ssd is good enough.

As for graphics card, I would suggest just saving for a little bit longer (i don't know how much time it takes to save in your currency though) and getting the 280x right away along with the ssd. There wouldn't be much value in going from 270x to 280x later.

I can get a 280x if I sold some of my PS3 games.

You don't need a 700W PSU for that build. A good 550W would be good.

The problem is in Malaysia its hard to find "good" power supplies because people here just settle for any generic power supply and the Cooler Master V700 is the one that stands out among all the other ones.

Can somebody tell me the difference between the FX 8350 and the i5 4670k. I am have gotten everything except for the cpu and motherboard. I need some input about this. I am a multitasker, gamer and I do video editing. I want a platform that can be upgraded in the future and has long term support.

Can somebody tell me the difference between the FX 8350 and the i5 4670k. I am have gotten everything except for the cpu and motherboard. I need some input about this. I am a multitasker, gamer and I do video editing. I want a platform that can be upgraded in the future and has long term support.

To answer your question ill start with the difference with the AMD VS Intel. The Intel is generally regarded as the better CPU for gaming since its single thread performance is higher. Also a note to add as of right now most games do not use more than 4 cores, many people will shout from the rooftops about how games will start becoming more multi-core focus and then ramble some things about mantle but I assure you that this multi-core focus is a long way away. As for for multitasking they are both beasts at it and with the video editing topic they are both considered great for there price but video editing loves multi-core configurations, I don't have any benchmarks on hand but I believe the 8350 is better in this department. I don't know what the energy rates are in Malaysia but it might be important to add that the 4760k runs at 84W and the 8350 runs at 125W so depending on how much energy cost the Intel solution might be cheaper in the long run. As for upgrade ability both processors are the best for the socket, going from a 4670k to a 4770k isn't really an upgrade and the 8350 is the best you can get on the AMD side. Seeing how these are the best processors for the platform there isn't going to be any really upgrade ability. When I was building my rig in early 2013 I was faced with the same choice and I went with the Intel side because it had a great balance of my needs of heavy gaming and some 1080P video editing. I think the most important thing to consider in your case is price, I know in some countries outside of the US parts for computers are extremely inflated and if the Intel solution is exponentially more expensive than the AMD option then I wouldn't got for it because of the price per performance ratio. Well I hope that answers all of your questions. PS if you can, invest the most you can in a GPU because that is where the real gaming performance comes from.

To answer your question ill start with the difference with the AMD VS Intel. The Intel is generally regarded as the better CPU for gaming since its single thread performance is higher. Also a note to add as of right now most games do not use more than 4 cores, many people will shout from the rooftops about how games will start becoming more multi-core focus and then ramble some things about mantle but I assure you that this multi-core focus is a long way away. As for for multitasking they are both beasts at it and with the video editing topic they are both considered great for there price but video editing loves multi-core configurations, I don't have any benchmarks on hand but I believe the 8350 is better in this department. I don't know what the energy rates are in Malaysia but it might be important to add that the 4760k runs at 84W and the 8350 runs at 125W so depending on how much energy cost the Intel solution might be cheaper in the long run. As for upgrade ability both processors are the best for the socket, going from a 4670k to a 4770k isn't really an upgrade and the 8350 is the best you can get on the AMD side. Seeing how these are the best processors for the platform there isn't going to be any really upgrade ability. When I was building my rig in early 2013 I was faced with the same choice and I went with the Intel side because it had a great balance of my needs of heavy gaming and some 1080P video editing. I think the most important thing to consider in your case is price, I know in some countries outside of the US parts for computers are extremely inflated and if the Intel solution is exponentially more expensive than the AMD option then I wouldn't got for it because of the price per performance ratio. Well I hope that answers all of your questions. PS if you can, invest the most you can in a GPU because that is where the real gaming performance comes from.

Thanks, that answered my question and I will get the 4670K and either a the gigabyte ud3h or msi gd 65 gaming. Both are around the same price here.

• 1 month later...

So I've done the build using the parts listed above (in blue colour). I've also done a video about the build. This is my first video in 5 years. Had a lot of fun editing and producing it. I will definitely be posting future updates and more in depth overviews of the build. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAdQAXL1oo

The real real build log will be out soon. I just need to get my hands on a couple of Bitfenix Alchemy LED Strips.