Linksys WRT 3200ACM Advice

I'm looking to buy a Linksys WRT 3200ACM to replace the modem/router we're currently renting from COX. Also planning to pair it with a Linksys CM3016 cable modem. Just looking for a few second opinions on all of it.

1. How's the routers default GUI? Should I install DD-WRT on the router? I've never had a chance to play around with it myself before but I've heard good things about it. I also can't stand when i can't adjust certain settings like on my current rented modem (almost everything is hidden or locked down).

2. Are these high gain antennas worth it for me? I live in a medium sized 1 floor apartment, the router will be towards one end of it. I know these will impact vertical performance but i don't need that, since I only live on 1 floor. From what I know they work well, but my apartment isn't exactly huge (little over 800sqft) so I'm not sure the $80 for 4 of them is really worth my while. Not to mention they're comically large.

3. On the subject of the modem. I have the Cox preferred 100 package (100mb/s advertised, actually getting around 130mb/s). Will I notice a difference and should I bother with getting the higher tier CM3024 or should I just stick with the CM3016?

4. Any other suggestions? I'm open to anything really.

Thanks!

-Ken

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

21 minutes ago, kagarium said:

I'm looking to buy a Linksys WRT 3200ACM to replace the modem/router we're currently renting from COX. Also planning to pair it with a Linksys CM3016 cable modem. Just looking for a few second opinions on all of it.

1. How's the routers default GUI? Should I install DD-WRT on the router? I've never had a chance to play around with it myself before but I've heard good things about it. I also can't stand when i can't adjust certain settings like on my current rented modem (almost everything is hidden or locked down).

2. Are these high gain antennas worth it for me? I live in a medium sized 1 floor apartment, the router will be towards one end of it. I know these will impact vertical performance but i don't need that, since I only live on 1 floor. From what I know they work well, but my apartment isn't exactly huge (little over 800sqft) so I'm not sure the $80 for 4 of them is really worth my while. Not to mention they're comically large.

3. On the subject of the modem. I have the Cox preferred 100 package (100mb/s advertised, actually getting around 130mb/s). Will I notice a difference and should I bother with getting the higher tier CM3024 or should I just stick with the CM3016?

Thanks!

-Ken

1) Dont have experience with Linksys routers. But I do use DDWRT. It give a lot more options in terms of setup. But it is a pain in the ass the setup. But, its very stable and seems to work like a champ on my aging Dlink DIR 835 I got back in 2013. 

2) Never used High gain antennas. To my understanding they are just a bit more sensitive then standard antennas. Actually if I remember correctly the copper wire (antenna wire) has 3 coils in it. I remember back in the day there was a tutorial on how to make any antenna high gain. Just involved a little bit a soldering, A straw from your fav fast food place and a black sharpie. 

3) Not sure on Cox, but Comcast will provision 8x4 modems for up to 200 Mbps. So I would say your good and should be able to have a little room in case you upgrade to a better package. Other modems I have seen suggested as well is the Arris SB6183, and the Netgear CM600, they should be of similar spec to the one you linked to. Just so you have more options in terms of cost. 

4) If you choose the DDWRT route please read the peakcock thread over at the DDWRT Forums. As it has a lot of very important info on how to install. You might also look at the wiki for info on what DDWRT can do, so you can be prepared for when you set it up. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Thanks!

-Ken

1. you do not need the high gain antennas because the 3200ACM comes with high gain antennas and if you do install DDWRT, in most routers, you are allowed to adjust the gain of the signal for the 2.4/5ghz antennas.
  2. Not really for your plans. The 1 floor is not the problem it would be how many and the type obstacles that the signals has to pass through that would be the issue, e.g. some homes have access cables for the internet already run in the walls but the ends are not capped that can cause something like a signal scrambler especially if you have some cables in use and other are not. you would gain from router placement, if placed in a open middle spot it should service the whole area with no problem, taking into consideration the floor plan, open of closed off and other factors like neighbors WIFI but in that case you can, in ddwrt, set your own channel. 
  3. On this subject i would consult your ISP to find out if they support DOCISIS 3.1 and if they say yes and your plan supports it then get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem instead.
  4. Use wired as much as possible for fixed devices such as desktops/desktops and separate the devices across 2.4 and 5ghz if possible.

The 3200ACM is really nice with ddwrt but note that there are ddwrt firmware builds that can cause soft bricks as the ddwrt devs. are cleaning up the code at present, the ddwrt community will help and normally posts about it in the build posts, so if you are not savvy with telnet/PumpKIN/serial connectors then wait for others to post what are good builds so you don't end up in a situation of having a soft brick router and not know how to recover.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

1) Dont have experience with Linksys routers. But I do use DDWRT. It give a lot more options in terms of setup. But it is a pain in the ass the setup. But, its very stable and seems to work like a champ on my aging Dlink DIR 835 I got back in 2013. 

I don't mind an annoying setup process, especially if it's gonna save me headaches down the road. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

3) Not sure on Cox, but Comcast will provision 8x4 modems for up to 200 Mbps. So I would say your good and should be able to have a little room in case you upgrade to a better package. Other modems I have seen suggested as well is the Arris SB6183, and the Netgear CM600, they should be of similar spec to the one you linked to. Just so you have more options in terms of cost. 

Cox recommends at least 16x4 and DOCIS 3.0 (prefferably 3.1 but they're expensive and harder to find) for their preferred 100 service. I looked at those ones as well since they're on the certified list on COX's website. I didn't want the Arris literally cause it was white, everything else in my media center is black. It would look so out of place.

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

4) If you choose the DDWRT route please read the peakcock thread over at the DDWRT Forums. As it has a lot of very important info on how to install. You might also look at the wiki for info on what DDWRT can do, so you can be prepared for when you set it up. 

I'll definitely take a gander at that when I get a chance. I don't want to jump into it blindly and end up bricking my router.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Not really for your plans. The 1 floor is not the problem it would be how many and the type obstacles that the signals has to pass through that would be the issue, e.g. some homes have access cables for the internet already run in the walls but the ends are not capped that can cause something like a signal scrambler especially if you have some cables in use and other are not. you would gain from router placement, if placed in a open middle spot it should service the whole area with no problem, taking into consideration the floor plan, open of closed off and other factors like neighbors WIFI but in that case you can, in ddwrt, set your own channel. 

There's not many walls in the way, and I spend most of my time on the couch or table with direct line of sight to it. I would move it more towards the center but that's just where the cable happens to come in, and since I rent I'm not allowed to run new wires through the walls and what not. Wi-Fi channels are definitely something I want to control. Just sitting on my couch my laptop can see about 20 different wireless networks.

9 minutes ago, Leonard said:

On this subject i would consult your ISP to find out if they support DOCISIS 3.1 and if they say yes and your plan supports it then get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem instead.

I thought about that, but COX only has 2 models certified that are supporting 3.1 as of now and they're a little to expensive for my tastes. They haven't even moved over to it yet, so I'm not too concerned.

11 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Use wired as much as possible for fixed devices such as desktops/desktops and separate the devices across 2.4 and 5ghz if possible.

Everything in my media center is/will be wired directly to the router (TV, Blu-Ray player, Switch, HP printer, server). All of the other devices that would be on the network support 5GHz, and I tend to put the less used devices (such as my younger brothers kindles) on the 2.4GHz network.

13 minutes ago, Leonard said:

The 3200ACM is really nice with ddwrt but note that there are ddwrt firmware builds that can cause soft bricks as the ddwrt devs. are cleaning up the code at present, the ddwrt community will help and normally posts about it in the build posts, so if you are not savvy with telnet/PumpKIN/serial connectors then wait for others to post what are good builds so you don't end up in a situation of having a soft brick router and not know how to recover.

Yeah I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on that. I'd hate to end up with a $230 paperweight.

2 minutes ago, kagarium said:

There's not many walls in the way, and I spend most of my time on the couch or table with direct line of sight to it. I would move it more towards the center but that's just where the cable happens to come in, and since I rent I'm not allowed to run new wires through the walls and what not. Wi-Fi channels are definitely something I want to control. Just sitting on my couch my laptop can see about 20 different wireless networks.

Well if you are planing to use DDWRT then you should be able to increase the gain of the antennas as well as the TX power if need be. The WIFI channel range, channel width and extension channel should also be configurable for your router and those allow you to choose a different channel settings which should be able to avoid most of your neighbors making your connection smoother.

I thought about that, but COX only has 2 models certified that are supporting 3.1 as of now and they're a little to expensive for my tastes. They haven't even moved over to it yet, so I'm not too concerned.

Everything in my media center is/will be wired directly to the router (TV, Blu-Ray player, Switch, HP printer, server). All of the other devices that would be on the network support 5GHz, and I tend to put the less used devices (such as my younger brothers kindles) on the 2.4GHz network.

If the price is too much i would understand but weather they have implemented the DOCSIS3.1 or not is not the reason to get it, DOCSIS modems has some real issues with latency/bufferbloat that can really frustrate you especially if you like netflix or online game.

Yeah I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on that. I'd hate to end up with a $230 paperweight.

Right so get started ASAP on the peakcock as recommended and other stickies DDWRT has on the forums and there are a whole bunch of information although you will be getting your firmware from the Atheros WiSOC based Hardware page you should also check the BroadCOM page for more information and stickies.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Right so get started ASAP on the peakcock as recommended and other stickies DDWRT has on the forums and there are a whole bunch of information although you will be getting your firmware from the Atheros WiSOC based Hardware page you should also check the BroadCOM page for more information and stickies.

I'll be sure to check it all out. Thanks for the help