paperclip test question

invisiblehand13
Go to solution Solved by invisiblehand13,

Not sure what was wrong with the psu to be honest but swapped out the psu and all my problems with my rig went away. So just to answer my own question or somebody looking for the same answer...just because the paperclip test passes even after testing all the rail voltages with a multimeter doesn't mean the psu is okay...cheers peeps!

So since i am still diagnosing where my problem is coming from on my new pc I just ripped it all back apart and did the paperclip test with only my fan hub plugged into the psu and pins 15 and 16 connected via a paperclip on the 24 pin connector. So I know what the fans spinning means and I know what no fans spinning means but what does it mean if they spin for just less than 1 second and then turn off? Then when i flip the psu switch off and then on again it will repeat the behavior 2-3 times and then stop spinning the fans altogether until i switch the psu off and bleed the caps back off and then try it again with the exact same results...anyone have any idea what this means? It is happening on a corsair rm650x with a silverstone fan hub with 5 corsair sp120 fans plugged into it...

the rm650x has a 0 rpm mode.  so its possible that with the paperclip test, it powering on, and then just deciding it doesnt need to keep the fans spinning.

although, any attached fans should still keep spinning.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I was not referring to the fan on the psu itself but the silverstone fan hub I had plugged into it. Now it has gotten even more interesting though so the situation as described above was happening the first time I was trying the test so now I took every component out of my case and now it powers the fan hub with the paperclip test but now when I plug in the rest of my system nothing  but the power led and the case fans/cpu fan come on and nothing else happens, no screen, no nothing but now when I go to turn it off it powers off completely but the fans sound like they are at 100% and the BIOS never kicks in from what it sounds like cause usually they only ramp for like 1 second and the BIOS/UEFI takes over but now just straight 100% fan speed and when I hit the power button on the case again it powers straight back down...I am about to throw this rig out the damn window right now

And now it is back to only spinning the fans up for a second and then shutting down everything again...I thought it seemed fine cause it passed the paperclip test when completely removed so I had it next to my pc with the side open and just attached it in that way to make sure there were not any overly bent cables and I still have to hold the power button to boot it (instead of just press it) and it still doesn't shut down with windows (just waits for windows to completely close and then ramps the fans up to 100% and leaves the power led on) so I disconnected everything again and retried the paperclip test and it's doing the same thing again...this has to be the psu then right? I mean if it was the motherboard why does windows work completely normal as well as my overclocks staying stable and no issues in any programs but I have to HOLD the power button to boot it and I have manually switch the psu switch to off; after windows closes to actually shut down the machine....

I am thinking that it is the on/off relay in the psu just being faulty from the results I am getting but a "fresh set of eyes" would be appreciated from someone

Not sure what was wrong with the psu to be honest but swapped out the psu and all my problems with my rig went away. So just to answer my own question or somebody looking for the same answer...just because the paperclip test passes even after testing all the rail voltages with a multimeter doesn't mean the psu is okay...cheers peeps!