What graphics card can my 8 year old PC support without too much bottlenecking?

Zirk

if gpu is not fully utilized it is cpu bottlencek anything below 99-100% gpu usage is caused by the gpu.... low fps coming and a fully utilized gpu means gpu bottleneck

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Himommies said:

Should I just stop?

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i dont see this as an argument, i simply correct things that are stated that are wrong information such as

if your cpu isnt 100% it doesnt bottleneck your gpu  < which is total bollocks for example

dw lol

It's clear that this is getting nowhere. Just stop bickering or take it to the PMs. You're not helping OP at all.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

20 minutes ago, Himommies said:

why would you even show me then?If all the stuff in the video is GPU-intensive then why would you show it

to show that even in a non cpu heavy part, it is bottlenecked by the cpu, because the gpu isnt fully utilized.... it makes sense to everyone that knows how bottleneck actually works :P lol

(◑‿◐)

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

will op get a performance boost, yes

but his minimum fps will remain around the same(due to cpu bottlenecking), thus it wouldnt be worth the money

I believe only the OP can say what their money is worth to them. Even if their minimum frame rate doesn't change, their average and peak experience a change, thus there are gains that may be worth it to OP. Again, only the OP can say what is worth their money.

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It's clear that this is getting nowhere. Just stop bickering or take it to the PMs. You're not helping OP at all.

ppl just need to stop spreading false information :P

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

I believe only the OP can say what their money is worth to them. Even if their minimum frame rate doesn't change, their average and peak experience a change, thus there are gains that may be worth it to OP. Again, only the OP can say what is worth their money.

this is true, if op thinks that is worth it then it is up to him

but the fact remains that the cpu will be a bottleneck in that case

if op wants a full advantage of hes new gpu he will need a better cpu aswell

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

if gpu is not fully utilized it is cpu bottlencek anything below 99-100% gpu usage is caused by the gpu.... low fps coming and a fully utilized gpu means gpu bottleneck

As per the forums reccomendation I will stop and leave you with some helpful links

http://www.pcgamer.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/

My life

7 minutes ago, Himommies said:

As per the forums reccomendation I will stop and leave you with some helpful links

http://www.pcgamer.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/

that link is false information based on cpu usage

once again this is the truth

that's not true, you can easily have a CPU bottleneck with less than 100% used.  Best way to judge a CPU bottleneck is actually with GPU usage.  You want to make sure GPU usage is hitting 100%.

Consider a game that only uses 4 threads running on an octa-core CPU.  It will show 50% usage but not be able to run the game any faster.

^

(pst i have chosen to ignore you fully on the forums from now on because u are extremely stubborn to actual facts, stop spreading false information however though)

(◑‿◐)

On @Zirk behalf he wanted to mention:

Thanks for the input everyone! It makes sense that if the GPU is not running at 100% load then the CPU is causing a bottleneck to occur since the GPU is capable of doing more work but it cannot. In such a situation upgrading the GPU seems dubious as the problem is not a lack of GPU horsepower since the existing GPU still has unused potential.

I will follow @Moress advice and run MSI Afterburner while I am playing PUBG and see what the GPU load is like. If I'm near 100% on the GPU then I will likely purchase a 1060 to get a decent performance bump, otherwise I will make due with my existing PC until I'm ready to buy a new one.

2 hours ago, Zirk said:

Specs:

Core i7 960 (1st generation, Bloomfield, stock speed)

Gigabyte X58A-UD7 motherboard (PCIe 2.0 16x slot)

6 GB ram, triple channel

1080p 60 Hz monitor

I'm currently using a GTX 770 which could handle League of Legends no problem, but I'm starting to play PUBG and even at low settings it still struggles a bit, so I'd like to upgrade again. I would be interested in a GTX 1070 but with how much more powerful that is than the 770 I'm not sure how serious the bottlenecking may or may not be. Ideally I'd like to be able to upgrade the graphics card and hold out for at least a couple more years before getting a new PC.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

For PUBG, you'd be looking at a CPU upgrade since their minimum recommended CPU is stronger than what you have right now:

https://pubg.gamepedia.com/System_Requirements

And the 770 is still enough, a CPU upgrade will net you more frames for your buck even though it requires a motherboard and RAM.

Check these two out for 2 budgets:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($196.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $338.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-25 00:47 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($101.33 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Mushkin - Silverline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $536.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-25 00:50 EDT-0400

33 minutes ago, W-L said:

I will follow @Moress advice and run MSI Afterburner while I am playing PUBG and see what the GPU load is like. If I'm near 100% on the GPU then I will likely purchase a 1060 to get a decent performance bump, otherwise I will make due with my existing PC until I'm ready to buy a new one.

Because your CPU is below their minimum requirements I'd expect a 1060 to not be any better than the 770 in playerU'sBGs. Definitely grab that upgrade first.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

[snip]

(stop this is supposed to be locked lol)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.