Judge says HTC One successor will arrive early next year in patent ruling

Youbetternot

Woot Woot, the HTC One Successor will come early next year during February or march. However there was no specs release from the judge, just a confirmed date. The judge also rules that the HTC ONE can still be sold in the UK despite the fact that the phone was found to infringe on a 1998 patent held by Nokia. This was made because if HTC One sales were cut, HTC would be "vulnerable."

htc-one-stock-img_large_verge_medium_lan

As part of his latest ruling in a patent dispute between HTC and Nokia, High Court judge Richard Arnold has said he expects HTC's next flagship smartphone to arrive in the first quarter of next year. The handset could come as soon as February or March, according to Arnold, who based his estimate on evidence provided by Nokia in the case. HTC opted not to dispute the timeframe, which Arnold suggests lends further credence to the release window. Aside from the early 2014 launch, Arnold's ruling doesn't spill any additional secrets on the HTC One's proper successor. But the date is significant, as it factored into the judge's decision.

Arnold ruled that HTC can continue sales of the One in the UK, despite the fact that the phone (along with the One Mini) was found to infringe on a 1998 patent held by Nokia. Arguing against a sales ban, HTC had insisted that an injunction — especially during the holidays — would be "catastrophic" for business. "HTC paints a dramatic picture of what will happen," reads Arnold's ruling. "I am bound to say that I am somewhat skeptical about this evidence given that HTC will shortly be launching its new flagship phone. Still Arnold says he accepts "there is a period between now and February or March 2014 when HTC is vulnerable" and agrees "the damage which HTC will suffer if prevented from selling the One during this period will be both considerable and very difficult to quantify."

source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/3/5171670/judge-says-htc-next-flagship-smartphone-will-arrive-early-next-year

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Damn you I just logged in to post this :P

Yay.

Just wish I could get a new HTC One device, mine has bumps and stuff. :(

Damn you I just logged in to post this :P

I presume you read it on BBC Technology News?

Sounds about right. Galaxy S5 is on the way as well, and rumors have it at about the same time. Sony might even hop on the refresh train and get the 805 in the Xperia...

sysloc

The HTC TWO! 

In the codename it is called the m8

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

LOL! 

"This was made because IF HTC were to not have One sales HTC would be "vulnerable."

Embarrassing. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

LOL! 

"This was made because IF HTC were to not have One sales HTC would be "vulnerable."

Embarrassing. 

Leave me alone, I have packets of geometry to go :(

Wasn't the patent infringement completely out of HTC's control?

I read somewhere that a third party supplied parts (I think they were audio related?) which infringed on Nokia patents, but apparently that's still HTC's fault even though the first they knew about this was when Nokia sued them over it.

"I'd like to own my own business when I grow up, what do you want to do?" - "I wanna be a MILF!"

Case: CM Storm Trooper (Black) CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz RAM: Mixed, 8GB GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix MoBo: Asus M5A97 PRO PSU: Seasonic M12 / 850W STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro (250GB) / Western Digital Blue (1TB)

Leave me alone, I have packets of geometry to go :(

I wasn't insulting you. That was directed at HTC's poor financial condition. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

K that cheers me up a little bit

Darn! Just ordered a shiny new HTC One :P

I always seem to be a generation behind, just bad timing on my contract hahah

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Hell yes. The One is the first phone that I have kept for a year since the OG iPhone. It is absolutely amazing.

Ehhhh, not that bad. They just sold their beats audio shares and they profited quite a bit off of them and they have nice cash reserves. They could bleed like they are now for a good few years.

I presume you read it on BBC Technology News?

how did you know...

how did you know...

Because I read on BBC Technology too... im from UK as well :D

I've been saying the HTC "two" was going to be anounced in February/March for months now.

What boggles my mind more is the fact that the judge agreed that HTC was infringing on the patent, yet went "OK it's OK to break the law, because if you don't then you might not make as much money". What kind of bullshit logic is that? I am not trying to bash HTC but if they were found to infringe on a patent then they should be punished for it. The law should be blind and unbiased, and not take such things into consideration. You shouldn't get a different punishment just because you are poor or rich.

Oh and I am for reforming patents law from the ground up, but if they are going to keep them around then don't let some companies break the law and punish some companies very harshly for breaking it.