Raid 5 Stripe size

tekgeek1205
Go to solution Solved by Altecice,
3 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

wow, i hate colored line graphs. Im partiality color blind 

I have set up many RAID's for home and enterprise use. If its just general storage (like you said) stick to 128KB block sizes. Yeah you can gain from setting smaller block sizes if you are storing small files (a HDD must rewrite the whole block, so if you have 512KB blocks and are only storing 15KB files you are wasting a lot of time rewriting whole blocks).

I find 128KB to be a happy medium.

So im setting up raid 5 with 5 drives. All drives are 512 bytes per sector drives. Should I set my stripe size to = my sector size, or a multiple/factor of my sector size.

I'll be storing games and a lot of .mp4's. Some of the older games will be loaded directly from the array, the newer ones will only be "hot" backups. The .mp4's will be a plex library @ about 4TB total. File sizes 250MB to +5GB 

Edit

Drives

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9DATX0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Raid Card ($47 on ebay)

https://www.amazon.com/2CK6289-MegaRAID-9261-8i-8-port-Controller/dp/B00IF10NDK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506117425&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=9261+i8

i stated the files that would be used in the original post, but ill take a look at your link

larger stripe sizes enable more I/O operations per second, and I/O performance increases even more if large stripe sizes are used. 

^^

just keep in mind having too large stripe sizes that tiny files will go slow xD

(◑‿◐)

wow, i hate colored line graphs. Im partiality color blind 

I have set up many RAID's for home and enterprise use. If its just general storage (like you said) stick to 128KB block sizes. Yeah you can gain from setting smaller block sizes if you are storing small files (a HDD must rewrite the whole block, so if you have 512KB blocks and are only storing 15KB files you are wasting a lot of time rewriting whole blocks).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

1 minute ago, Altecice said:

Thanks, i'll give 128KB a shot when my backup is complete.