Zotac 1080Ti Poor Overclocking

ItsWardyBoi

Hi,

I didn't know if there is something I was doing wrong, but I can only seem to get 2025 with the card using the maximum 1.093v available on my 1080Ti without crashing.

Now the question is whether my luck was just bad or whether i'm actually doing something wrong to make it his this limit.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Bloodkil993 said:

Hi,

I didn't know if there is something I was doing wrong, but I can only seem to get 2025 with the card using the maximum 1.093v available on my 1080Ti without crashing.

Now the question is whether my luck was just bad or whether i'm actually doing something wrong to make it his this limit.

Thanks

My EVGA SC2 is about the same.  It boosts itself up to 1960 or so and will sit there all day.  If I apply a 50 Mhz OC it will crash.  It will do about 20 on core and 50 on memory, that's it. 

Now with that said, it is still a 1080ti and does anything I want it to do in any game I have, but it's not a great overclocker.

10 minutes ago, Bloodkil993 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Some cards do better than others. May I ask what the exact model of your card is? My 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid from EVGA only hit 2050mhz out of the box, but once I flashed it's second bios to the Strix XOC bios, I was able to get 2150mhz with relative ease. Sadly, 2150 doesn't run any faster than 2100, due to some sort of internal limitation Pascal imposes on itself, but perhaps you can look into that option if your card supports the bios. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

My EVGA SC2 is about the same.  It boosts itself up to 1960 or so and will sit there all day.  If I apply a 50 Mhz OC it will crash.  It will do about 20 on core and 50 on memory, that's it. 

Now with that said, it is still a 1080ti and does anything I want it to do in any game I have, but it's not a great overclocker.

I mean i'm still more than happy with 2025, but did hope for more, I guess it's all part of the silicon lottery

Just now, MageTank said:

Some cards do better than others. May I ask what the exact model of your card is? My 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid from EVGA only hit 2050mhz out of the box, but once I flashed it's second bios to the Strix XOC bios, I was able to get 2150mhz with relative ease. Sadly, 2150 doesn't run any faster than 2100, due to some sort of internal limitation Pascal imposes on itself, but perhaps you can look into that option if your card supports the bios. 

My card is a Zotac 1080Ti AMP! Extreme Core Edition

3 minutes ago, Bloodkil993 said:

My card is a Zotac 1080Ti AMP! Extreme Core Edition

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624521/official-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-owners-club/12560#post_26214942

This gentlemen tried the XOC bios on his 1080 Ti AMP, and found the exact same limitation I did with my FTW3. It was able to do 2200, but performed identically to 2100mhz. Honestly, I would say 2000mhz is plenty fast enough for a 1080 Ti, unless you are genuinely wanting to push it to it's limits. If you lack multiple vBIOSes on your card, make sure you keep a backup card or iGPU handy if you do intend to flash to the XOC bios. I've done it, but I don't really see any difference between 2050 and 2100. Then again, I always use G-Sync on my 165hz monitor, so your mileage may vary. 

I've tested 5 different 1080ti's, and a 2025mhz overclock is pretty common. 

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Bloodkil993 said:

Hi,

Thanks

That's not poor overclocking lmao

I think that different versions of graphics cards have different amounts that you can overclock them by. Although, if a certain card has a tendency to overclock not a whole lot then and overclocking is important to you, I suggest getting a factory overclocked card that is already overclocked out of the box. All GPUs have different tendencies and perform/act differently when overclocked (generally). So I would not really be worried if a certain graphics card can not really overclock that much.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2025mhz is poor? since when?

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

1 hour ago, Potato*Salad said:

2025mhz is poor? since when?

Similar to saying my 7700k only hit 5Ghz... It's great! But others have gotten more and I wish I could too.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:09 PM, MageTank said:

It's all in the core temps.  Drop the core temps by 15c and it'll run better at 2150...and do it without needing so much extra voltage to run there.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

55 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

It's all in the core temps.  Drop the core temps by 15c and it'll run better at 2150...and do it without needing so much extra voltage to run there.

Hard to drop any lower than 40C under load without some serious cooling, lol. 

Winter is coming.....open a window.  = )

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Pff, and he's complaining with a 2025 OC?

Mine only goes up to 1960 stable after i bumped my clock 69mhz 

I hope everyone is using the voltage / frequency curve to overclock.....if you're not, you're not doing yourself any favors.