Sattelit signals

Hi, I am making a school project about decrypting and we want to catch sattelite signals and decrypt them with rpi 3 we will make antena and we don't know what else do we need? Tell me what else do we need and the budget is small. Pls help

Tnx

11 minutes ago, begadelavela said:

Hi, I am making a school project about decrypting and we want to catch sattelite signals and decrypt them with rpi 3 we will make antena and we don't know what else do we need? Tell me what else do we need and the budget is small. Pls help

Tnx

I don't want to sound rude, but why do you start a project if you don't know how to do it? I mean, even when you have a clear idea of "how to do" something there's usually that you didn't expected that is gonna give you trouble..

This is something super complex for a school project.

You'd need a suitable parabolic antenna, with a suitable LNB (or whatever it's called)... the disc concentrates the signal into the single spot in the center and that thing in the center sends a stream of data to some receiver which "focuses" on a particular transponder and determines the video and/or audio channels on that transponder and then the receiver can decode the data stream into an actual usable data.

However, barely any transmissions are unencrypted analogue or digital so even if you manage to actually get some stream of bytes into your pi from a satellite, that stream of bytes would still have to be decrypted and it would be super hard for you to decrypt.

If you really want to go this route, I'd suggest maybe playing with some user defined radio , there's some USB sticks that do this... you can basically use that usb stick to "tune" into some FM radio or something similar, maybe weather band or maybe transmissions from the closest airport, and you could write some software on your PI to maybe save that sound to your pi as a wave file or mp3

You'll find a lot of documentation for user defined radios

And see also : https://www.adafruit.com/product/1497

Lmao something tells me you won't be able to decrypte a satellite signal with just an RPI3 and no knowledge. That's important data you're messing with, I'm sure it'll take a few more than one hamster wheel to crack. Not to mention the implications of getting your hands on things you're not supposed to, for school... 

ASU

I saw the title and I had to respond

SatelLIT

Image result for laughing crying emoji

Sorry I had to

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

Like mentioned earlier, an average rtl-sdr dongle paired with a good antenna and an LNA should be able to pick up noaa and meteor m2 signals. For NOAA i would recomend making a qfh antenna as it is much better at picking up circularly polarized signals than other options. Get your antenna as high as reasonably possible outdoors ad follow one of the many tutorial out there.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz