Reason for a gaming keyboard?

JediSamReye

Hello all! I have been a light PC gamer, I have been trying to stick with controller based games, I really like using the xbox one controller with my computer. Back when I was maining gaming on my laptop it was more of a must then a choice. But I recently started wanting to really use the mouse and keyboard more. I have the logitch G602 mouse and its perfect for breaking me into this world of higher quality inputs. However the trouble I am running into here is in the few games I have been playing COD and GTA V. I havent really seen a need to upgrade my keyboard. I am just using a basic HP wireless keyboard from an old computer I had, the extra buttons on the mouse made perfect sense to me, and have made the games much nicer to play. But considering my keyboard so far seems to be a WASD and shift key. 

Can you please help me and explain the best reason to upgrade the keyboard? Thank you so much 

ps, with wireless would be much better for me if possible. 

I used to use a cheap dell wireless keyboard for years and I was fine, "Gaming" keyboards aren't necessary. That said, mech does feel much better to type with, I don't know if I could go back. Would be worth if you do much other work on there besides gaming. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

I used to use a cheap dell wireless keyboard for years I was fine, "Gaming" keyboards aren't necessary. That said, mech does feel much better to type with, I don't know if I could go back. Would be worth if you do much other work on there besides gaming. 

I work from home, and I type constantly through the day. I have been using to a wireless Logitech for work, and that is a separate computer. Maybe I will eventually look at a mechanical for the work setup more lol 

It has the word "gaming" on it making it inherently better in every way when gaming especially when coupled with RGB. 

Disregard the above [as "gaming" is a marketing term]...

If you play games that have complicated button arrangements, macros can make setting those closer much better. In the case of some KB's, you can actually set multiple sets of macros for any single game. For example, you're playing an RPG and will use a sword and shield. Set your weapon skills to one set for fast access after using 1-5. Then do the same on another set for magic or archery. I play a lot of strategy and RPG's and having those easily accessed keys near WASD makes things much easier rather than having to press "I" for inventory (seriously, couldn't make it Tab?) or, for AoE2, go to Town Center and make 5 villagers with only one button press.

The 2nd reason could be better switches. This is purely subjective and only you can determine which switch is right for you. Some like membrane and others use mechanical. For mechanical keys, some people like MX Blues and others Reds. I prefer Romer-G after using Blues, Reds, Browns, and membrane. You should walk into an electronics store and test out the keyboards as you like. I have a paragraph that I like to type out a few times to get a first impression of the switch and keycaps. 

Third reason from me would be elevating your game. If you've ever felt like a KB or component has held you back or that you've outgrown it, you need an upgrade to advance yourself. Having keys that take less force to actuate or that you can more accurately depress without bottoming out will make your follow-up strokes faster as you're wasting less time to do so. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, JediSamReye said:

Hello all! I have been a light PC gamer, I have been trying to stick with controller based games, I really like using the xbox one controller with my computer. Back when I was maining gaming on my laptop it was more of a must then a choice. But I recently started wanting to really use the mouse and keyboard more. I have the logitch G602 mouse and its perfect for breaking me into this world of higher quality inputs. However the trouble I am running into here is in the few games I have been playing COD and GTA V. I havent really seen a need to upgrade my keyboard. I am just using a basic HP wireless keyboard from an old computer I had, the extra buttons on the mouse made perfect sense to me, and have made the games much nicer to play. But considering my keyboard so far seems to be a WASD and shift key. 

Can you please help me and explain the best reason to upgrade the keyboard? Thank you so much 

For gaming alone, I would find it difficult to justify the expense of a mechanical keyboard. If you type a lot too however, That expense quickly becomes no brainer. Going back and forth between my G710+ to the mush boards at work, I am definitely grateful to have this thing for typing.

For gaming, I suppose if you really need Macros, or are playing e-sports titles, then maybe a mech keyboard can be justified.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I certainly felt an improvement in FPS when I went from membrane to mechanical keyboard - albeit a small one.

For me the switch action was much more definite, and gave me tactile and audible feedback. I am not so sure the switches actually work 'quicker' but feel they do. I use the cherry mx speed switches on a Corsair K65 Rapidfire board . 

The RGB is nice, as i have a very creative red/black build. But most importantly the key's illuminate, which does help me in certain situations as I game mostly at night with all other lights off.

The way I look at it is this, all these things give me a slight 'edge' and help me play better. The question is am I happy spending the money for it, personally I am as I love the performance tech side and am competitive. I am also not naturally very good so every little helps right?

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

The queation that you should be asking if do I need a mech, not a gaming keyboard. You will find out that all best keyboards out there are not named as gaming keyboards.

The biggest pros would be:

1. Huge variety of switches which suit you as an individual, linear, tactile, clicky, loud, quiet, actuation force, etc. 

2. Much more durable than membrane, many even up to 50M clicks

3. If a switch breaks, you can swap only that switch, not the whole keyboard

4. You can customize many keyboards. Be it a DYI kit, mutliple switches, cases, artisan keycaps, keycap sets, etc. Don't like something on your keyboard? It might be possible to swap it. 

5. No ghosting and N key rollover

6. Closely to no. 1, many people do get better at typing in general when using a switch that suits them. Speed, precision, you name it. Gaming, not usually such an improvement. 

7. Some membranes can last a lifetime, but mechs do have better durability (better build quality), and lifetime in general.

8. Customizing different layouts and programming many of them how you need them. Nees multiple layouts? It's possible, as long as your keyboars supports it

9. Community. You have a problem? /r/MechanicalKeyboards has 200k members, a great community.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

15 hours ago, JediSamReye said:

TBH the is no reason at all to upgrade the keyboard. The only upside of my gaming keyboard I've noticed is that typing is more comfortable and faster. 

Don't buy a gaming keyboard. They often cost ~3.5 times the price they should have.