Choosing a platform

Hello all I recently sold my old system (4790k and 780ti) and am looking at a new build. I already know I'll be going with a 1080, 16gb ddr4 and a 500gb nvme. My real debate is what processor and chipset to go with. While I plan to wait and see what coffee lake has to offer I wonder whats best to go with now. From what I've seen I could get a 1700(x) and mid range x370 board or get a deal on a i7 6850k and mid range board for a similar price. I plan to overclock moderately and while I'm a heavy gamer I would like more cores than the 7700k for engineering apps and rendering.

Edit my buddy will be moving to threadripper soon and offered the 6850k and x99 asrock taichi for 450

Go Ryzen. It matches Broadwell-Evee´s performance.

1700 + decent X370 + Trident Z/Flare X 3200MHz C14

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

It would be wise to wait for Coffee Lake and make your decision from there... unless the deal you get for the i7-6850K and X99 board is extremely good.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

Hello all I recently sold my old system (4790k and 780ti) and am looking at a new build. I already know I'll be going with a 1080, 16gb ddr4 and a 500gb nvme. My real debate is what processor and chipset to go with. While I plan to wait and see what coffee lake has to offer I wonder whats best to go with now. From what I've seen I could get a 1700(x) and mid range x370 board or get a deal on a i7 6850k and mid range board for a similar price. I plan to overclock moderately and while I'm a heavy gamer I would like more cores than the 7700k for engineering apps and rendering.

Wait a month for the new Coffee Lake Processors. They will have the gaming benefits of the intel chips, with the core count of the Ryzen chips. They should also be the same price as current new chips.

6 minutes ago, scighera2 said:

Wait a month for the new Coffee Lake Processors. They will have the gaming benefits of the intel chips, with the core count of the Ryzen chips. They should also be the same price as current new chips.

So what if the 6850 and mobo (x99 taichi) end up costing ~$450. The reason I ask is that my buddy is going to a Threadripper in a couple months and that offer is on the table. Otherwise I agree assuming intel doesn't screw us with pricing coffee lake looks awesome.

1 minute ago, Cameron K said:

So what if the 6850 and mobo (x99 taichi) end up costing ~$450. The reason I ask is that my buddy is going to a Threadripper in a couple months and that offer is on the table. Otherwise I agree assuming intel doesn't screw us with pricing coffee lake looks awesome.

It's not a bad deal. But the 8700k (6core 12thread) should cost around $350. Which will be around the same price with a faster core clock.

17 minutes ago, scighera2 said:

No they don't - only certain SKU's like the i5 will be similar to Ryzen 5's 6 core count, but some ryzen 5s have multi-threading - and other sjus have 4/8, so hard to say right now if an i5 with 6 cores will match a 4/8 or 6/12 r5 for performance. i7 will be 6 core/12 thread, so less than Ryzen 7... but may have similar performance than Ryzen 7 in certain applications if rumours are true with the better IPC that some intel chips have.

[edit] Updated my above post as I missed out some info before.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

57 minutes ago, scighera2 said:

It's not a bad deal. But the 8700k (6core 12thread) should cost around $350. Which will be around the same price with a faster core clock.

Lower clocks but double pcie lanes, also Z370 taichi will be $200+ Getting an equivalent board will put the 8700K 100 bucks more expensive.

1 hour ago, Cameron K said:

I would get the X99 board myself, an 8700K will likely be the best cpu a Z370 board will support but an X99 board will support dirt cheap (and amazing) xeons, 6950X and all the other higher end X99 chips that are already going super cheap.

On top of that, when the X99 style lga 2011 V3 xeons get dumped by mega corporations as part of the refresh cycle the demand for x99 boards will skyrocket (similar to what X58 did) meaning you could easily sell it for more than what you bought it for when you want to upgrade down the line.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious