First time SSD

gellen

I was looking to update my machine to SSD, get rid of my 2 old HDD and get 2 new SSD but i´m not sure what type of SDD shoud i buy and i´m not talking about capacity.

I´ve read in some places that i can go with SSD 2.5, on others websites only mSata.

Reading the manual of my motherboard, GA-Z77X-D3H... I think it only supports mSata or at least the only examples of compatible SSDs were mSatas.

Can someone add some light on it? And i´ve read too that mSata SSDs are VERY EXPENSIVE.

Thank you guys !!!!!

A SATA SSD should work fine

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

If your existing hard drives are using sata then you should be able to use a sata SSD.

M.2 SSDs are faster than sata ones but that doesn't really matter to an average consumer.

I'd suggest you do what most people do and buy a smaller (around 250Gb) SSD and a larger HDD for all your media and games.

I personally have a Samsung 850 500Gb SSD (for windows and all software) and two 1Tb Wd10EZEX hard drives.

One for all my stuff and the other one is for backup/server if i want to grab something from my pc.

Here's a picture of the motherboard you mentioned and it has a couple Sata3 6Gbps connectors.

5890.jpg

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

21 minutes ago, gellen said:

I was looking to update my machine to SSD, get rid of my 2 old HDD and get 2 new SSD but i´m not sure what type of SDD shoud i buy and i´m not talking about capacity.

I´ve read in some places that i can go with SSD 2.5, on others websites only mSata.

Reading the manual of my motherboard, GA-Z77X-D3H... I think it only supports mSata or at least the only examples of compatible SSDs were mSatas.

Can someone add some light on it? And i´ve read too that mSata SSDs are VERY EXPENSIVE.

Thank you guys !!!!!

Just get a normal 2.5" SATA SSD. They connect to the motherboard and power supply with same cables as HDDs. Something like Samsung 850 EVO or Crucial MX300.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

12 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

M.2 SSDs are faster than sata ones

Ah, But alas, you are confusing the form factor with the protocol (I've done this so many times its not even funny)

SATA vs NVME

2.5" Vs M.2 (there's also u.2 but we will exclude that for now)

You can find M.2 drives that run at SATA speeds, and ones that run at NVME (the faster speeds) Just because it's an M.2 form factor doesnt make it faster though!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@TVwazhere Huh i actually didn't knew that thanks :) 

still m.2 SSDs are usually more expensive so it would be better to get a sata one.

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@TVwazhere Huh i actually didn't knew that thanks :) 

still m.2 SSDs are usually more expensive so it would be better to get a sata 2.5" one.

While this is definitely true, there are a couple of SSD's that the m.2 form factor is the same price as the 2.5" version, for example the WD blue series. (Not the best performing SSD's on the market, just giving an example) 

Also, re reading the OP, there is a difference between mSata and M.2

Related image

So an M.2 ssd could not be used in lue of an M.2

Personally I'd just stick with a regualr 2.5" SSD and call it a day, There's no performance difference, and less hassle trying to find a good mSata drive now since the form factor was mostly replaced by M.2

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I really cannot thank you guys :) 

I´ve got all the info i needed and some extra too, and the best part is that I understood the difference betweet different types of solid state drives.

So, thank you guys again for teaching and helping.

ps: I was thinking about buying a 250gb SSD for the OS and programs and another 500gb SSD for games, music, movies.... data in general but i don´t know if its worth it.

45 minutes ago, gellen said:

I really cannot thank you guys :) 

I´ve got all the info i needed and some extra too, and the best part is that I understood the difference betweet different types of solid state drives.

So, thank you guys again for teaching and helping.

ps: I was thinking about buying a 250gb SSD for the OS and programs and another 500gb SSD for games, music, movies.... data in general but i don´t know if its worth it.

Doesn't worth at all. Just get the 250GB SSD and keep your HDDs. Or if the HDDs are too old and you have valuable data on them, you could discard them and buy a new HDD with a capacity that suits your needs.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

1 hour ago, r3loAded said:

Doesn't worth at all. Just get the 250GB SSD and keep your HDDs. Or if the HDDs are too old and you have valuable data on them, you could discard them and buy a new HDD with a capacity that suits your needs.

Well, i´ve got two and one of them is maybe 13 years old hahahahaha

@gellen I'd suggest getting a new HDD perhaps a WD10EZEX since it's very highly recommended.

If the sound of a HDD doesn't bother you then going with only SSDs is pointless and way too pricey.

Sure you'd get the benefit of better loading times in some games but it is not worth the extra price.

The WD10EZEX i recommended is great in my opinion but of course you should ask around before getting one. :)

Ps.: If you get an SSD you can put some games on it but make sure to always have some space free to keep it healthy.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1798870/leave-free-space-ssd.html

A detailed article about this.

For a 256Gb SSD you should leave around 30-50 Gb free. (according to the internet 5-20%)