HDD Black

SuperiorSpidey
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Go with the 750 GB drive, if you really can't buy hard drives at better prices from online stores. I don't know where you are located (country), that you find paying 60 euro for a 750 GB drive is reasonable.

Why... those 200 GB drives would be fairly old... probably 6-8 years old.

While WD Blacks are fairly well made and normally have 3-5 years warranty but those 200 GB hard drives were most likely used in datacenters where they ran for years 24/7 doing their thing. The power on hours would be huge for those.

Even as high quality as they are, once they go over around 4-5 years of continuous operation, the chances of them failing goes up by a huge amount.

I think WD still made 750 GB WD Blacks up until around 3-4 years ago so if you're lucky, those 750 GB drives could even be new old stock (hard drives that sat on shelves as spares for servers or waiting to be sold or something like that) but most likely they were pulled from servers after only 1-2 years of continuous operation (because hard drives became cheaper and also because SSD drives appeared)

So the point is those 750 GB drives would still have some life in them, and there would be less risk of them dying on you.

The 200 GB drives would also most likely be SATA 1 or SATA 2 while that 750 GB one is probably SATA 3 ( up to 600 MB/s) which actually doesn't really make a difference, what matters more is that the newer drive will support features like NCQ (which would improve read and write speeds) and the 750GB drive should also have bigger caches and because the data density on the platters is higher, the transfer speeds to and from drive will also be faster.

Greetings guys,

so I was planning to buy a  new gaming rig and after a significant amount in seacrh of an HDD, I found a discount on the 200GB HDD Black. What I want to know is, if it's worth to buy 3-4 200GB or an 750GB HDD (750GB costs 60 euros, while 3x 200GB cost 30 euros).

4 minutes ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

Greetings guys,

so I was planning to buy a  new gaming rig and after a significant amount in seacrh of an HDD, I found a discount on the 200GB HDD Black. What I want to know is, if it's worth to buy 3-4 200GB or an 750GB HDD (750GB costs 60 euros, while 3x 200GB cost 30 euros).

I'd get the single drive, easier to manage for space. With games 200 GB fills really fast. If it's a WD Black, the single will be totally fine.

Spend 100-130 Euros and you can get 2-4TB instead for a much better price per GB.

CPU - Intel i5-6600K 4.7Ghz
MOBO - ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
GPU - GALAX GTX 1080 EX OC SNPR
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 8GB
SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 4TB
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
CASE - Corsair Obsidian 450D
PSU - EVGA Supernova 750 G2

21 minutes ago, SuperiorSpidey said:

Greetings guys,

single drive. or just get a 1TB one....

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Go with the 750 GB drive, if you really can't buy hard drives at better prices from online stores. I don't know where you are located (country), that you find paying 60 euro for a 750 GB drive is reasonable.

While WD Blacks are fairly well made and normally have 3-5 years warranty but those 200 GB hard drives were most likely used in datacenters where they ran for years 24/7 doing their thing. The power on hours would be huge for those.

Even as high quality as they are, once they go over around 4-5 years of continuous operation, the chances of them failing goes up by a huge amount.

I think WD still made 750 GB WD Blacks up until around 3-4 years ago so if you're lucky, those 750 GB drives could even be new old stock (hard drives that sat on shelves as spares for servers or waiting to be sold or something like that) but most likely they were pulled from servers after only 1-2 years of continuous operation (because hard drives became cheaper and also because SSD drives appeared)

So the point is those 750 GB drives would still have some life in them, and there would be less risk of them dying on you.

The 200 GB drives would also most likely be SATA 1 or SATA 2 while that 750 GB one is probably SATA 3 ( up to 600 MB/s) which actually doesn't really make a difference, what matters more is that the newer drive will support features like NCQ (which would improve read and write speeds) and the 750GB drive should also have bigger caches and because the data density on the platters is higher, the transfer speeds to and from drive will also be faster.

27 minutes ago, mariushm said:

That was really helpful. Thanks, pal.