Lenovo Legion Y720 need help

Hello community!

Recently I bought a new Lenovo Legion Y720. He was running slow even from the start, but after tweaking some settings I managed it to run smooth and nice. What I encountered was the CPU temps. The GPU temps are maximum 71C in full load, which is ok. But the CPU hit even 92C which is too much. I think it's a wrong thermal paste appliance or poor quality since everyone else is getting 82C with a stress test or while gaming at ultra settings any game. I undervolted the CPU and even disabled turbo boost to make it run cooler. Now it stays under 72C but after I turn on again TB, it jumps to 82C instantly. Should I ask for a replacement or maybe reapply thermal paste with a new one? Thinking at an Arctic MX-4 and maybe it will stay nice and cool. Thanks in advance!

PS: Specs are:

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700HQ @ 2.80Ghz with turbo to 3.8Ghz

GPU: GTX 1060 6Gb 

RAM: Samsung 8Gb

HDD: WDC 1TB

Display: 1920X1080 LG Ips Panel

Dual fan cooling included.

How much you have undervolted the CPU? The Y720 has a capable cooling system.

Also, try undervolt the GPU too by making a custom voltage to frequency graph in MSI Afterburner (Google it)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

82c with TB isn't bad, but I do know that the QC on these new legion laptops aren't the best, so the TIM might be poor on your laptop.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

No problem I will answer and give another details for my laptop to see if it's something wrong with it.

First, I noticed that in most games I get 92C with Turbo Boost, everyone else getting hardly 82C at least (10C difference, must be the thermal compound).

Secondly, I undervolted it with 0.130V stable and it dropped about 10C (still getting 92C with TB enabled in games, so no difference here somehow. I get a little hard to 92C but still, too much)

And the final punch to be called like that, right now I found out two dead pixels on my display so I won't accept this and send it to the waranty. If they cannot fix it, I will receive negation from service and my Legion Y720 will be replaced with a new one (hopefully new this time. This hasn't look new to me with those performances. At the outside, it looked new). Thanks for advice. 

PS: The GPU stays in 71C maximum which is good for it so no need for undervolting the GPU. The iGPU is undervolted to -0.130V too like the CPU Core and Cache.

A repaste is definitely a good idea.

IC Diamond is what many laptop users use.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Thanks for suggestion! I already bought Arctic MX-4 because I couldn't find Arctic Silver 5 or any other good paste. Still, I will send my laptop to waranty to repair the dead pixels. They are very annoying.

Don't forget to learn how to apply it if you're new to repasting.

Don't apply way too much and also don't apply too little. 

Another thing I'd recommend is a laptop cooling fan. The Y720 has its vents on the upper portion of the laptop's base. I recommend the Cooler Master Notepal U3+ because you can place those fans directly underneath the vent and blow extra cool air in. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Thanks! I'm used to apply thermal paste. I previously had a custom built PC and an Acer Aspire E1-531G which needed to be reapplied the paste. Being an Acer and not a new one, it is a nightmare to dissassembly it. With this laptop, I will send it to waranty first to not lose it and hopefully they will repair it so I will have waranty for the next 2 years. 

• 10 months later...

The Y720 is really easy to take apart, 9 screws on the case and 7 screws on the heat spreader. The entire repasting can take you 30 minutes if you've done it before. Here are my results after repasting and undervolting.

Red: Factory state - normal voltage and stock paste

White: Repasted (Kryonaut)

Green: Repasted (Kryonaut) and undervolted to -0.125 (stable)

Capture.PNG