Dual Rad Questions

Vajra

Hello!

I am in the process of purchasing a custom loops using EKWB configurator and it has recommended two radiators for my case.  I know this is likely super overkill but I want to give it a shot anyway as it's more about the tinkering for me than being efficient here.  My question is around the configuration of the radiator in the loop.  What order should the radiators go in?  For instance, should I go pump-rad-cpu-rad-gpu-pump or pump-rad-rad-cpu-gpu-pump?  Or some other configuration?  Off the top of my head it makes sense to go rad-cpu-rad-gpu.  Thanks.

EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black (2000rpm)

EK-Vardar EVO 120ER Black (2200rpm)

EK-CoolStream CE 280 (Dual)

EK-CoolStream XE 240 (Double)

EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM - Plexi (incl. sleeved pump)

EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel

EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus - Nickel

EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus Backplate - Black

EK-DuraClear 9,5/12,7mm 3M RETAIL

EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm - Blue

EK-CryoFuel Lime Yellow Concentrate 100 mL

EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 pin)

EK-Cable Y-Splitter 2-Fan PWM (10cm)

EK-CryoFuel Navy Blue Concentrate 100 mL

EK-AF Extender Rotary M-M G1/4 - Black

EK-AF T-Splitter 3F G1/4 - Black

EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 - Black

EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 - Black

My current shopping cart.  Any tips are welcome.

from all the testing i have seen there is no differance in the max temp you will get to no matter what order you go in, so just go whatever way is the easiest in your case

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, Vajra said:

snip

Coolant temperature will mostly stabilise at a given temp (varies). Yes if you go CPU block rad GPU block rad, if the coolant was completely cooled to ambient by time it leaves it would cool batter, it usually isn't, but it's be cooler BY A WhOPPING 1°c to do it that way (maybe not even 1)! That is so insignificant you won't notice, and running a loop like that might add more tubing which would reduce flow more, while that actually don't matter again, it really doesn't matter, once your pump never runs dry the loop will work well, lay it out however best you think it looks. I'd say to add the rad too, I have a single 240 for my i7 7700K and VRM, and it can get sorta hot when really pushing the OC on 1.5v 5.3GHz. 

Yours faithfully

the amount of heat even a very high end overclocked system can kick out is not enough to make loop order matter.

I really appreciate the responses, thanks everyone!

5 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Coolant temperature will mostly stabilise at a given temp (varies). Yes if you go CPU block rad GPU block rad, if the coolant was completely cooled to ambient by time it leaves it would cool batter, it usually isn't, but it's be cooler BY A WhOPPING 1°c to do it that way (maybe not even 1)! That is so insignificant you won't notice, and running a loop like that might add more tubing which would reduce flow more, while that actually don't matter again, it really doesn't matter, once your pump never runs dry the loop will work well, lay it out however best you think it looks. I'd say to add the rad too, I have a single 240 for my i7 7700K and VRM, and it can get sorta hot when really pushing the OC on 1.5v 5.3GHz. 

Would you say that getting a block that covers the VRM is worth it if I plan to OC and run streams from the system?  EK has one for my board I just don't know enough about them to know if it's mostly aesthetic or not...

10 hours ago, Vajra said:

Would you say that getting a block that covers the VRM is worth it if I plan to OC and run streams from the system?  EK has one for my board I just don't know enough about them to know if it's mostly aesthetic or not...

I don't super like monoblocks, I think they look like someone just blobbed a lot of plastist on a board, and I prefer separate VRM blocks, but my board came with a VRM block by default, so it was a no brainer. If you want to take some more heat off a board (the VRM is usually the 2nd hottest part of a board) for lower fan speeds (the board can sink more heat into the mid ground plains that come from the chipset and RAM for example) then yes, sure, go for it, you can reduce the need for cool air inside the PC a little, as the only thinks to cool now are the PSU, RAM and PCH. Would I recommend spending money on the block, no, not unless you're doing like a Jayztwocents Skunkworks/Red Mist kind of build. Now you're doing hardline it seems, so that would look nice maybe having the tubs sleeking around your PC, but I did it because I had my CPU super overclocked with the VRM set to performance, it dumps a lot of heat due to that, extreme phase response and everything on 800KHz switching frequency. On air it still only hit 60°C but the block had the threads and I had the fittings so I did it. 

Yours faithfully