Transfer windows from HDD to SSD

TehCheesus

I'm hoping to try and transfer only windows and whatever makes windows work onto a 120gb SSD without doing a fresh install and keeping all my stuff on my HDD.

Any advice, things I need to use?

there is a free piece of software that will allow you to do this with ease,  https://www.backup-utility.com/free-partition.html and yes the free version will migrate the OS - I used this software at work to migrate 14 PC's from HDD to SSD without a problem.

Tips
Clean out all temp files and run disk clean up - deleting any old installs etc...
make sure you defrag the HDD after doing that
THen run the software and let it do it's magic

make sure both SSD and HDD are in and you can Identify them - then start the process - simple.. 

Alternatively - you can go with a clean build. which is recommended... 

You can use Macrium Reflect. You need to remove as much stuff as possible to shrink the partition to the 120GB of the SSD. 

If you can't do that, clean install would be best.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Clonezilla has always been my go to. Most are fairly competent and you shouldn't get any issues. One thing to remember before cloning a drive is to make sure you know for a FACT what your driver letters are so you don't end up writing the blank data from your SSD to your HDD. I did that once. 

If there is a setting for it in whichever program you use make sure you are using write to end of disk rather then writing all data. If you try to write all data from a 500GB HDD into a 120GB SSD you will end up with nothing but scrambled data. 

Because of this it may also be helpful to go ahead and DEFRAG your drive before cloning. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Just now, ARikozuM said:

You can use Macrium Reflect. You need to remove as much stuff as possible to shrink the partition to the 120GB of the SSD. 

If you can't do that, clean install would be best.

I disagree. As I mention in my post, if defrag and you don't chose overburning it will turn out fine. And really doing it this way you really have nothing to risk except time, because you can always reformat the SSD and try again. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Do a clean install unless you enjoy having issues in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Alright - looks like everyone is telling me to go for a clean build so I guess I'll do that. Thanks!

DON'T DO IT, speaking from experience, Windows does certain things differently during an SSD install, if you just clone it, those things are NOT done and it effects the performance of the drive. it also takes LONGER to clone a drive then to install Windows off a USB stick. especially since you want to leave your files on the other drive there is no reason to clone.

i almost always support drive cloning. but NOT when you're moving from hdd to ssd.

do a clean install. you'll save yourself a headache later on.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I use a USB docking station with cloning capability. That way you do a hardware copy with no software to screw up the transfer of data. USB docking station is hardware. All of the software cloning tools are software which can introduce issues in the image. 

On 9/11/2017 at 6:24 PM, Enderman said:

Do a clean install unless you enjoy having issues in the future.

I agree with this.  I'm a computer technician, so cloning is a standard job, but I also have the equipment to fix problems when something (usually) goes wrong.  It's pretty common for the boot record to be corrupted, for example.

If you do decide to go through with it, make sure that when you're done you disable and re-enable restore points.  They won't work otherwise.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440