is a 4k display a good choice if you are gonna do this?

Sheap are mean

So in one years time from now I will be doing game programming which will include shaderprogramming and 3d computer graphics. Will a 4k display benefit me ? I have  a 1080TI and i7 7700k 

I have realized that many forum members here tend to get 4k displays for video editing etc. 

Just now, Sheap are mean said:

So in one years time from now I will be doing game programming which will include shaderprogramming and 3d computer graphics. Will a 4k display benefit me ? I have  a 1080TI and i7 7700k 

I have realized that many forum members here tend to get 4k displays for video editing etc. 

It would be a good idea.  You would be able to see everything in HQ and know if things are wrong that you wouldn't be able to see with 1080p-1440p.  Also, I would suggest it if it's not for another year, as prices might drop.

Just now, Jackson, The Computer Dude said:

It would be a good idea.  You would be able to see everything in HQ and know if things are wrong that you wouldn't be able to see with 1080p-1440p.  Also, I would suggest it if it's not for another year, as prices might drop.

Good idea. What do you mean see things that I wouldn't see with 1080p? :o

For programming your best bet is a dual monitor setup. Personally, I would choose a large 21:9 primary display for multi-tasking and gaming, and a 9:16 (vertical) second display for coding. DPI scaling on many programs (especially professional programs) can still be pretty spotty so 4k may end up being hard to use if the program doesn't scale well.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

If you're going to be sitting close and have good eyesight yes. Working at 1x scale, 4k gives you a bounty of screen real estate to expand your work flow. But running graphics at 4k can be taxing. You basically have the best specs for doing 4k graphics, but gaming grade 1080ti really isn't enough for top notch 4k graphics. 

I would say if you're going to take advantage of the work flow possibilities, go for it. 

Sometimes a cheaper option would be to go for two 1080p monitors, which I prefer because of my poor eyesight. 

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

For programming your best bet is a dual monitor setup. Personally, I would choose a large 21:9 primary display for multi-tasking and gaming, and a 9:16 (vertical) second display for coding. DPI scaling on many programs (especially professional programs) can still be pretty spotty so 4k may end up being hard to use if the program doesn't scale well.

Could you provide a link of both those displays please. 

The windows 200% scaling mechanism then? That should be good enough right? 

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

If you're going to be sitting close and have good eyesight yes. Working at 1x scale, 4k gives you a bounty of screen real estate to expand your work flow. But running graphics at 4k can be taxing. You basically have the best specs for doing 4k graphics, but gaming grade 1080ti really isn't enough for top notch 4k graphics. 

I would say if you're going to take advantage of the work flow possibilities, go for it. 

Sometimes a cheaper option would be to go for two 1080p monitors, which I prefer because of my poor eyesight. 

I have good eyesight at close distance but not at long. So I am fine? And I already have 2 1080p 24". I was thinking like 1 4ms IPS 4k 27"  and 1 1080p

A dual setup would be ideal for programming, but in 3d modeling a 4k monitor will definitely help with making sure there is quality accuracy. But remember you would also want IPS panels for color fidelity, meaning its going to be pricey, even a year from now.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

I have good eyesight at close distance but not at long. So I am fine? And I already have 2 1080p 24". I was thinking like 1 4ms IPS 4k 27"  and 1 1080p

In that case, you need to ask yourself if you're going to be working in 4k content. Sure you can make 4k content with a 1080p screen. But to review it in it's native resolution would be important. 

I can tell you from experience, that 1080p screen might not get a lot of love with a 4k right next to it. 

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

A dual setup would be ideal for programming, but in 3d modeling a 4k monitor will definitely help with making sure there is quality accuracy. But remember you would also want IPS panels for color fidelity, meaning its going to be pricey, even a year from now.

500$ is no issue. 4ms IPS 27" is my plan. Probably this one: LG27ud68

2 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

In that case, you need to ask yourself if you're going to be working in 4k content. Sure you can make 4k content with a 1080p screen. But to review it in it's native resolution would be important. 

I can tell you from experience, that 1080p screen might not get a lot of love with a 4k right next to it. 

haha I really hope I have that issue :D The 1080p can kiss my toes. I really hope the difference is that big. 

4k content... Yikes.. I have no idea, sure why not. I mean if Me and some classmates finish a game it would be nice to try it out in 3840x2160. if that's what you mean. 

haha I really hope I have that issue :D The 1080p can kiss my toes. I really hope the difference is that big. 

4k content... Yikes.. I have no idea, sure why not. I mean if Me and some classmates finish a game it would be nice to try it out in 3840x2160. if that's what you mean. 

4k is the future, so it's not a bad bet. The difference is big though, things will be TINY. To get the most space out of your 4k display, you'll need to use 1x scaling in Windows. 

1x is fine on 1080p because it's so low res. But 1x at 4k makes all screen elements absolutely tiny. 

If you need to scale up to see things at 4k, you really loose the advantage of the extra workspace. 

11 minutes ago, Sheap are mean said:

Could you provide a link of both those displays please. 

The windows 200% scaling mechanism then? That should be good enough right? 

Depends if the program works with Windows scaling. I use CS6 and it doesn't scale with Windows. It was hard to use on a 4k screen since the buttons were so small.

As for the monitors my recommendation would be a 34 or 38" 3440x1440p or 3840x1600 (A budget option would be XR342CK for ~$600-700, a 38" option is 38UC99 or XR382CQK for ~$1200, and the best gaming option would be a Predator X34 or PG348Q for ~$1300. Pair one of those with any 16:9 that can rotate vertical for when you code (ideally 2560x1440), don't bother spending a ton on that one since coding doesn't need high Hz or a-sync or any fancy colors. (Or just use one of the 1080p screens you already have for the secondary).

That's just my preference though. You should really try and test some options out and see what you prefer.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Just now, DaltonM said:

4k is the future, so it's not a bad bet. The difference is big though, things will be TINY. To get the most space out of your 4k display, you'll need to use 1x scaling in Windows. 

1x is fine on 1080p because it's so low res. But 1x at 4k makes all screen elements absolutely tiny. 

If you need to scale up to see things at 4k, you really loose the advantage of the extra workspace. 

When scaling 4k with windows I will use the recmomended 200%, problem solved right? 

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

Depends if the program works with Windows scaling. I use CS6 and it doesn't scale with Windows. It was hard to use on a 4k screen since the buttons were so small.

As for the monitors my recommendation would be a 34 or 38" 3440x1440p or 3840x1600 (A budget option would be XR342CK for ~$600-700, a 38" option is 38UC99 or XR382CQK for ~$1200, and the best gaming option would be a Predator X34 or PG348Q for ~$1300. Pair one of those with any 16:9 that can rotate vertical for when you code (ideally 2560x1440), don't bother spending a ton on that one since coding doesn't need high Hz or a-sync or any fancy colors.

That's just my preference though. You should really try and test some options out and see what you prefer.

anything above 30" is just way to big man... bad for gaming and everything. I Want a screen that I can game on aswell. 30" will make everything feel slow and clumsy. When gaming it's gonna feel slow and just huge. So nah 28" at the most. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Sheap are mean said:

When scaling 4k with windows I will use the recmomended 200%, problem solved right? 

Well kind of, 2x is going to make everything roughly the same size it would be on 1080p anyway. Thus reducing the advantage.

Funny you should say anything above 30 is too big lol. I'm using a 42 inch tv right now as a monitor hahahaha

anything above 30" is just way to big man... bad for gaming and everything. I Want a screen that I can game on aswell. 30" will make everything feel slow and clumsy. When gaming it's gonna feel slow and just huge. So nah 28" at the most. Thanks. 

Like I said, to each their own. I personally like bigger screens, 27" is the smallest I would want. Keep in mind that a 34" 21:9 is about the same size (height) as a 27" 16:9 so it's not all that huge.

I actually really liked coding on my 43" 4k TV since it had a ton of real estate and still looked sharp at that size.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

1 minute ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Like I said, to each their own. I personally like bigger screens, 27" is the smallest I would want. Keep in mind that a 34" 21:9 is about the same size (height) as a 27" 16:9 so it's not all that huge.

I actually really liked coding on my 43" 4k TV since it had a ton of real estate and still looked sharp at that size.

hmm wider but same height.. Doesen't sound so terrible actually. 

2 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Well kind of, 2x is going to make everything roughly the same size it would be on 1080p anyway. Thus reducing the advantage.

Funny you should say anything above 30 is too big lol. I'm using a 42 inch tv right now as a monitor hahahaha

Damn man, what the fuck. That just sounds incredibly hard and clumsy and just terrible I mean what the fuck man. put a  43" on your desk like wtf man. Nahh, can't do that man. Turning my head in every direction... same size as 1080p.. umm yeah so? the graphics will still be better right ? 

hmm wider but same height.. Doesen't sound so terrible actually. 

You should really try to get to a store that has some in stock so you can stand in front of it and check it out (Microcenter, Fry's, even Costco has a 34" 21:9 but it's 1080p so just imagine it as that size with higher resolution.) Or find a friend with one you can "test" out.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

Damn man, what the fuck. That just sounds incredibly hard and clumsy and just terrible I mean what the fuck man. put a  43" on your desk like wtf man. Nahh, can't do that man. Turning my head in every direction... same size as 1080p.. umm yeah so? the graphics will still be better right ? 

4k doesn't make graphics better. IMO it actually draws more attention to crappy graphics. A turd in HD only makes it look worse, ya know? 

I have a huge desk, poor eyesight and I sit back aways. It's great because I can sit on my bed and watch netflix or play games and still have tv experience. But I have it at 2x and I can't really fit more windows and programs on screen that I could with my 1080

1 minute ago, pyrojoe34 said:

You should really try to get to a store that has some in stock so you can stand in front of it and check it out (Microcenter, Fry's, even Costco has a 34" 21:9 but it's 1080p so just imagine it as that size with higher resolution.) Or find a friend with one you can "test" out.

The best thing about Elgiganten, a store in sweden is that you can buy ANYTHING for ANY price and try it out how much u want for 30 days and then return it if you are not happy for a 100% refund. actually I'm gonna go and get one right now I think. 

Just now, DaltonM said:

4k doesn't make graphics better. IMO it actually draws more attention to crappy graphics. A turd in HD only makes it look worse, ya know? 

I have a huge desk, poor eyesight and I sit back aways. It's great because I can sit on my bed and watch netflix or play games and still have tv experience. But I have it at 2x and I can't really fit more windows and programs on screen that I could with my 1080

I'l go to the store and get a 4k monitor right now and I'l try it myself. if I dont like it I'l return it to the store. 

8 minutes ago, Sheap are mean said:

Again, that all depends on the program. If it doesn't scale well then it will just look "zoomed in" and not sharp. Only if the devs have built in DPI scaling or Windows scaling compatible will it look good, otherwise it may look worse.

A huge 4k screen is actually really nice for coding. You can put 2-3 windows of code side-by-side with the same DPI as a 1080p 21" or 1440p 28" and have a ton more lines viable at once.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Sheap are mean said:

The best thing about Elgiganten, a store in sweden is that you can buy ANYTHING for ANY price and try it out how much u want for 30 days and then return it if you are not happy for a 100% refund. actually I'm gonna go and get one right now I think. 

That's definitely the best bet. Let us know what you think.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Sheap are mean said:

I'l go to the store and get a 4k monitor right now and I'l try it myself. if I dont like it I'l return it to the store. 

Yes, this is what I did. I started with a 24 inch monitor and I fell in love with 4k, came back and bought a 42 TV for the same price lol