Slow download speed

baloonis

Greetings.

My ISP sais that I am provided with a 50Mbps internet line, but speedtest.net shows a download speed of 4-5 Mbps. The ISP sais it should show close to 50 and that it is their fault and they are trying to fix it since yesterday.

I am wondering if somehow I am limiting my speed, for example I am using a Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB2.0 Network Adapter to connect to my modem. Could that be limiting me? I live in Athens Greece btw.

Thank you!

Seek and you shall find.

6 hours ago, baloonis said:

Greetings.

My ISP sais that I am provided with a 50Mbps internet line, but speedtest.net shows a download speed of 4-5 Mbps. The ISP sais it should show close to 50 and that it is their fault and they are trying to fix it since yesterday.

I am wondering if somehow I am limiting my speed, for example I am using a Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB2.0 Network Adapter to connect to my modem. Could that be limiting me? I live in Athens Greece btw.

Thank you!

You need to retest your speed via wire instead of wireless before you contact your ISP.  It could be very possible that your internal wireless network is to blame, which would be on you to fix, not the ISP.  

Connect an connect directly to the router/modem via an ethernet cable and retest.  

Good luck.

6 hours ago, baloonis said:

I am using a Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB2.0 Network Adapter to connect to my modem.

That very much looks like your issue. Like done12many2 said, try testing again while plugged directly into your router.

If that's the case, look into getting a new wireless adapter. Maybe one that's USB3.0 if you have the ports for it. If I can recommend one to you, I would get something like this . That is a wireless AC adapter. Your modem/router may not have AC now, but it is soon to be the standard for Wifi, so once you do upgrade, you will already have the equipment to use it to it's potential.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO