/etc/fstab vs sudo mount -a

Hello,

I recently installed installed a virtual ubuntu server (17.04) on top of Freenas 11 to host my personal website.  All of my html files are located on my Freenas and I was going to mount them in my ubuntu server in the same way I did on my laptop (also running ubuntu 17.04 but desktop version).

My /etc/fstab file has a line that is exactly like in my laptop that says

//192.168.0.5/Path/To/Files /home/username/WebDocs cifs credentials=/home/username/.smbcredentials 0 0

This server also has ufw installed with default deny but I allowed from app Samba to 192.168.0.5 and from 192.168.0.5 to app Samba.

Here is the kicker though, my WebDocs folder will not mount at boot, but as soon as I login I can type 'sudo mount -a' and it mounts in seconds, without making any changes to anything.

Why would 'sudo mount -a' work immediately but the files won't mount at boot?

//side note, I have a retropie that is having the same issue with mounted roms but does not have ufw installed.

network is connecting after disks are mounted. There is a way to delay this, or have it done automatically when the network is up.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 9/10/2017 at 0:28 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

network is connecting after disks are mounted. There is a way to delay this, or have it done automatically when the network is up.

That makes a lot of sense.  My /etc/fstab now looks like this

//192.168.0.5/Path/To/Files /home/username/WebDocs cifs credentials=/home/username/.smbcredentials,uid=username,_netdev,x-systemd.automount 0 0

And it works!  The '_netdev' part is actually what fixed it, but I still needed the 'uid' part to set the permissions and the 'x-systemd.automount' makes it faster on boot...somehow...