Computer won’t boot until jumper is in bios reset position

Go to solution Solved by HappyChubbs,

I doubt this will do anything since you were able to reinstall without the jumper.

Is the SATA setting in BIOS set to use IDE or AHCI?  Don't think a system will boot at will if this is incorrect but it does not hurt to check.

Would advise not changing the jumper when the machine is on.

Only move the jumper to reset (top two pins) when the machine is off.

Put the jumper back to normal (bottom two pins) then turn on the machine.

My computer will only boot and work if the jumper is placed at 2+3 position(i.e bios reset position) and won’t turn on after loading optimized settings and setting the date then putting the jumpet to its normal 1+2 position. I’ve a Msi 945GCM7 motherboard and i don’t have much knowledge about the system and jumper positioning( i only followed the internets methods and still cannot figure out)  The pc works fine when putting the jumper at 2+3 position but i get thrown to the screen where it says cmos setting not correct. As per my diagnosis the problem is with the motherboard and no other hardware. 

8A15218A-AB7D-4289-B0B6-84BB7F8FA4B7.jpeg

DAD1EB24-0E32-4590-8EC6-DA4491A1F9DF.jpeg

How old is this computer? The CMOS battery could have run out, a test with a multimeter should show 3V.

It is possible that the CMOS battery has died and needs to be replaced.

Are you leaving the jumper in the reset pins and powering on the PC?  If so, you only need to move the jumper to reset when the machine is off.  Then move the jumper back to normal settings and power on the machine.  Leaving the jumper in reset and powering on the machine can damage your system.

Can you post a pic with the jumper removed.  Just want to see what number the pins are.

The PC won’t turn on if the jumper isn’t in this position. i did read that it might damage the pc but it won’t turn on if not put to the position. I read that this was the jumper in my motherboard. 

82B8A46C-41C1-42C3-A527-54AF25AC03B6.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

How old is this computer? The CMOS battery could have run out, a test with a multimeter should show 3V.

The PC is quite old don’t know exaclty but it’s from around the year 2010

11 minutes ago, HappyChubbs said:

It is possible that the CMOS battery has died and needs to be replaced.

Are you leaving the jumper in the reset pins and powering on the PC?  If so, you only need to move the jumper to reset when the machine is off.  Then move the jumper back to normal settings and power on the machine.  Leaving the jumper in reset and powering on the machine can damage your system.

Can you post a pic with the jumper removed.  Just want to see what number the pins are.

Fun fact my PC gets stuck when i unplug the jumper from 2+3 (reset position) to 1+2(normal) position. (while the PC is on)

52657933669__F6551FD4-EE29-4EFF-BB33-38627D846D17.MOV

52657936182__136CE68C-A2F0-4AE2-BB04-A499ADCE9764.MOV

Edited by Srijanraj

My PC was running very slow i didn’t realize any problem with the CMOS battery then. Because I had use of the pc occasionally it was running slow due to dust inside(I read that the PC runs slow if dust clogs up inside it )so i took the time and cleaned it with a blower then i had it brought down to my room(from my roof where i cleaned it) then unplugged all cables including jumper. At this time i didn’t know the use of jumper and thought it was of no use so i didn’t put it back to the place i took it out from. My Pc didn’t run smoothly still so i thought of doing a clean install of windows. and this time the PC didn’t start i saw a video of linus in youtube he taked about reseting bios and jumper in a video about diagonosing PC i followed and when i remembered the jumper i tried putting it back. That’s when all this problem started to come and messed up everything. 

I doubt this will do anything since you were able to reinstall without the jumper.

Is the SATA setting in BIOS set to use IDE or AHCI?  Don't think a system will boot at will if this is incorrect but it does not hurt to check.

11 minutes ago, HappyChubbs said:

i reinstalled with those jumpers in the last two pins. i think the last two pin resets the bios as i am prompted with this screen(see the image) Your IDE and AHCI question i didn’t understand so see the 2nd image. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

During the cleaning process I had removed the CMOS battery and reinstalled it. I think the problem started since. not sure tho i would change the CMOS battery if that was causing the problem. I don’t have a multimeter though to check the battery 

You can ignore the IDE/AHCI question.  Leaving it as IDE is fine.

If you keep getting that "CMOS setting is wrong screen" with the jumper in the bottom two pins then it is most likely that the battery is dying and needs to be replaced.  The pins are labeled 1-3 starting from the bottom, so the first two would be normal.

Since the machine is 7 years old it would make sense the battery going.

15 minutes ago, HappyChubbs said:

You can ignore the IDE/AHCI question.  Leaving it as IDE is fine.

If you keep getting that "CMOS setting is wrong screen" with the jumper in the bottom two pins then it is most likely that the battery is dying and needs to be replaced.  The pins are labeled 1-3 starting from the bottom, so the first two would be normal.

Since the machine is 7 years old it would make sense the battery going.

Thank you very much bro you helped me clear my misunderstanding everyone here i’m very thankful for your response. I’ve repaired my Pc with all your help. I thought that the first two pin were the normal and the bottom two reset. since i had jumper in the bottom two pins without removing them i’ve had no issues booting up or bios reset screen. Long story short i was putting the jumpers the wrong way. the battery seems to be fine as it is holding all the bios data even after shut down. Thank you all for helping me. 

Edited by Srijanraj