Why these live blogs are driving me batty?

Commodore Sim

Note: not sure if this is right forum, but I seriously don't know the proper place to post this.

Ok let me open clearly, I think the live blogs are a great idea.

My problem however is that I basically always miss them, yet still I have a notification to no video because the stream has ended. Well this feels like a giant "fuck you!" to me.  I'd hate to think of how much worse a person with harsh timezone in comparability feels, at least I'm only 2 hours ahead of LTT studio.  But my day job doesn't give me the level of arbitrary spontaneous free time to watch a live feed this way.

Well today sparked my ire just enough to want to post this.  The live feed was later and I was actually around to catch the tail end of it.  Yup I was watching some other stupid video on YouTube and only by chance noticed the feed was live.  So I joined 16 minutes into it, where basically nothing useful was left to be said.   But it was the title that got me passionate, people hated the hyperloop video.  I was one of those people, and I wanted to hear how LTT was receiving the pushback.

Regarding the Hyper loop vid, I dislike the hyperloop concept for reasons I'm open about but will keep to myself for the moment.  I get that LTT thought it would be a thing to make a video about, and I can respect that.  However it is the only LTT video I can think out that I rage quit and then disliked, then commented briefly why I clicked dislike.

So if LTT is going to continue these feeds I'd like the ability to view them time shifted, If not then these notifications of videos I've missed MAKE ME ANGRY.  Like only a little angry but still not positive emotions either.

Again sorry of this is not the place for this post, it's not at all clear to me the road to offer direct feedback to LTT.  I get that they have a lot of viewers and there are only so many hours in the day.  But when it really matters I hope there is some means other than snail mail to the studio.

7 minutes ago, Commodore Sim said:

Note: not sure if this is right forum, but I seriously don't know the proper place to post this.

My problem however is that I basically always miss them, yet still I have a notification to no video because the stream has ended. Well this feels like a giant "fuck you!" to me.  I'd hate to think of how much worse a person with harsh timezone in comparability feels, at least I'm only 2 hours ahead of LTT studio.  But my day job doesn't give me the level of arbitrary spontaneous free time to watch a live feed this way.

Well today sparked my ire just enough to want to post this.  The live feed was later and I was actually around to catch the tail end of it.  Yup I was watching some other stupid video on YouTube and only by chance noticed the feed was live.  So I joined 16 minutes into it, where basically nothing useful was left to be said.   But it was the title that got me passionate, people hated the hyperloop video.  I was one of those people, and I wanted to hear how LTT was receiving the pushback.

Regarding the Hyper loop vid, I dislike the hyperloop concept for reasons I'm open about but will keep to myself for the moment.  I get that LTT thought it would be a thing to make a video about, and I can respect that.  However it is the only LTT video I can think out that I rage quit and then disliked, then commented briefly why I clicked dislike.

So if LTT is going to continue these feeds I'd like the ability to view them time shifted, If not then these notifications of videos I've missed MAKE ME ANGRY.  Like only a little angry but still not positive emotions either.

Again sorry of this is not the place for this post, it's not at all clear to me the road to offer direct feedback to LTT.  I get that they have a lot of viewers and there are only so many hours in the day.  But when it really matters I hope there is some means other than snail mail to the studio.

They are archived in FPC  if you want to catch up and missed the live stream

update: looks like FPC has these feeds being posted, which is a lesser solution but better than nothing too.

I think my feelings expressed in the original post are still valid however.

lol I was typing as you updated Rijzen, but thanks anyway.

8 minutes ago, Commodore Sim said:

lol I was typing as you updated Rijzen, but thanks anyway.

Haha np, I never catch the live stream so I'm always watching it on floatplane or I wouldn't even know there was a stream to begin with ?

I feel the same and I hope they won't be exclusive VODS for FP... I've managed to see about two of them live, like 10 min into them, and I love the idea. Through the forum I've seen them all in their entirety and I find them entertaining as hell, that's why I sincerely hope they don't put a paywall, bc that would make the "fuck you!" you mention that much worse.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

im in the same timezone, but i actually have a job. so i miss every single one of their livestreams, including the wanshow.

sucks, but honestly, i dont care. if the stream was interesting enough, then somebody will end up bitching about it on the forum anyways so ill get to hear about it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

19 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

im in the same timezone, but i actually have a job. so i miss every single one of their livestreams, including the wanshow.

sucks, but honestly, i dont care. if the stream was interesting enough, then somebody will end up bitching about it on the forum anyways so ill get to hear about it.

He just finished a Live Stream from the Techquickie channel about the new intro. It was pretty interesting, so.. I guess I'll comment on it for your benefit :)

@LinusTech The one thing I take away from it is that you're right. I haven't put my money where my mouth is. I don't have much but $5 for FPC is not much either. I'll subscribe to it in time for SYW7.. I've been meaning to do it and this may have just pushed me over the edge.. I almost religiously watch your content and was first subscribed to TQ actually many years ago.. And I know from your vids explaining how you make money that that is the most important, viewing.. But you're right. Money where mouth.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

4 hours ago, Commodore Sim said:

We don't have a great solution for this right now. I think YouTube needs to do something to allow people to opt out of just live stream notifications.

Archiving them to YouTube IS an option, but hurts FP subscribers (like you) because it means you guys aren't getting that behind the scenes content exclusively.

We *could* just do MORE behind the scenes (I was doing 2-3 per week and people seemed pretty happy with that) but then all of a sudden we're hurting our ability to put out our regular content because my time is limited as it is..

Basically, we're still finding the right balance, and there's work to be done.

Thanks for the feedback.

4 minutes ago, VicBar said:

He just finished a Live Stream from the Techquickie channel about the new intro. It was pretty interesting, so.. I guess I'll comment on it for your benefit :)

@LinusTech The one thing I take away from it is that you're right. I haven't put my money where my mouth is. I don't have much but $5 for FPC is not much either. I'll subscribe to it in time for SYW7.. I've been meaning to do it and this may have just pushed me over the edge.. I almost religiously watch your content and was first subscribed to TQ actually many years ago.. And I know from your vids explaining how you make money that that is the most important, viewing.. But you're right. Money where mouth.

Glad to hear that. SYW7 is coming!!!

:D

5 minutes ago, VicBar said:

that would have been interesting lol i heard a lot of people hating on it.

i might be a minority, but i really like the new intro. its different sure, but i think its more professional and a lot better.

Just now, LinusTech said:

cant wait!!  i wish i had the $5 for FPC. or i totally would get get it

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

here some tips that you can do if you're not be able to watch at that time..

basically when the notification comes up, open that video, and then just pause it..

that way, even when the video is deleted, you can still watch the video entirely..

not the best way, but still, better than nothing..

15 minutes ago, arvinpw said:

here some tips that you can do if you're not be able to watch at that time..

basically when the notification comes up, open that video, and then just pause it..

that way, even when the video is deleted, you can still watch the video entirely..

not the best way, but still, better than nothing..

that doesnt work.

youtube refuses to prebuffer the entire video, it hasnt done it in years. and its stupid.  the second you reach the end of your buffer, your done. so you'll get to watch a total of maybe 2 minutes tops.

unless you disable "Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP" which requires add-ons

|Specs in profile|

I'm 9 hours ahead so by the time the LTT live stream finally launched (it was super late compared to usually) I had long given up and gone to bed, but I did manage by pure coincidence to catch the Techquickie stream this morning just as I was rolling out of bed. I'm actually fine with the video being removed now that I understand why. My main problem with the live streams is actually just that youtubes notification system is super slow, so unless I sit around hitting refresh I'll miss the first 2 minutes, maybe more. A semi-fixed time for the streams would help with that, like when they started, but in a company that busy sometimes things happen and streaming at the usual time might not always be possible. I figure some sweet day it will be possible for those of us who don't worship paypal to sub to Floatplane some more direct way, and when that day comes maybe I'll go back and watch the stuff I've missed. :)

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

We don't have a great solution for this right now. I think YouTube needs to do something to allow people to opt out of just live stream notifications.

Archiving them to YouTube IS an option, but hurts FP subscribers (like you) because it means you guys aren't getting that behind the scenes content exclusively.

We *could* just do MORE behind the scenes (I was doing 2-3 per week and people seemed pretty happy with that) but then all of a sudden we're hurting our ability to put out our regular content because my time is limited as it is..

Basically, we're still finding the right balance, and there's work to be done.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi, while I understand that Floatplane means to be exclusive and all, I'd be glad if You'd archive live streams on YT for at least 24 hrs. 

For example I got notification about live stream on LTT channel about 2:30 am (it's GMT +1 in Poland) and later around 4 am(?) I got notification about TechQuickie live stream and around 8:30 or so it was gone... 

Once again - I know that Floatplane is a revenue stream and for what people there deserve to have something "extra", but please do not say other ppl on YT, who watch, like and comment on Your videos are not at least important enough to give them, let's say 12 hours maybe, to watch archived live streams.. as common courtesy ;) remember we do also give you "money" in some way.

While I like Your channel very much, this behaviour with live streams seems little bit not fair, You know.

PS sorry for bad English

10 hours ago, LinusTech said:

:D

Also congratulations on you 3000th post!

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]

11 hours ago, LinusTech said:

As I said in FOC thread about this. I don't mind you leaving them for YT viewers also. But I also don't know if you gain something extra credit for having subscriber notifications turned on. If not, then I understand why you go for FPC only route. Otherwise it just seems like another money-grabbing thing to do.

11 hours ago, Tsuki said:

cant wait!!  i wish i had the $5 for FPC. or i totally would get get it

Its bit sad that there isn't any good way to gift FPC months. While I'm at 0 income atm, spending €30 per year to giving away 10 FPC months isn't that big of hit. I just don't go out one Friday. Or don't buy anything at one Steam Sale.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 weeks later...

@LinusTech Just reviving this old thread to let you know I'm now a Floatplane CLUB member. I don't know why you're dropping the club part... it's the most interesting bit.. it's what make it feel exclusive.. Any way I usually catch the WAN show on VOD so that's why I wasn't subd since yesterday.

¡Saludos desde Mexico! (in case you ever wanna come back) :P

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]

1 hour ago, VicBar said:

@LinusTech Just reviving this old thread to let you know I'm now a Floatplane CLUB member. I don't know why you're dropping the club part... it's the most interesting bit.. it's what make it feel exclusive.. Any way I usually catch the WAN show on VOD so that's why I wasn't subd since yesterday.

¡Saludos desde Mexico! (in case you ever wanna come back) :P

Could be 6 of one half a dozen of another I think.  LTT is developing a platform for more than just LTT, in that lens calling the platform just Floatplane seems like a very enlightened decision for external adoption of the platform.  While on the other hand you do a have a valid point for what you're saying of the LTT iteration of Floatplane.