This Hyperloop Pod has REAL HOVER ENGINES

Truly uplifting.

Not a fan of hyperloop, the concept is interesting but it's more dangerous than its worth IMO.

Maglev trains have been hovering for decades and are soo much safer, cheaper and they come very close in speed.

Lelz, watched to the end and 10/10 agree with closing statement about broad usability 

Edited by Damascus

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Nice shoes @LinusTech :D

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Is it sad that after watching something this interesting my first thought was something along the lines of "I wonder what people will be whining about today?" or is that just our reality now? Anyway, I enjoyed the video. Watching it an hour before the livestream that was supposed to introduce it was a little odd, but I really don't want to use the words "Alex" and "premature" in the same sentence, so I'm just gonna roll to disbelieve on that one.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

7 minutes ago, Alariel said:

Is it sad that after watching something this interesting my first thought was something along the lines of "I wonder what people will be whining about today?" or is that just our reality now? Anyway, I enjoyed the video. Watching it an hour before the livestream that was supposed to introduce it was a little odd, but I really don't want to use the words "Alex" and "premature" in the same sentence, so I'm just gonna roll to disbelieve on that one.

The forum post has to go up before the video is published so if you hit F5 around 11am PST you might get to see a video early :P

Dream on about not having TSA or some other sort of security to slow things down.

Would be enough for a terrorist to explode a bomb or even some pressurized can with some virus or toxic gas and you'd be trapped in a sealed container , in a tube that's almost vacuum (so if the bomb breaks the exterior walls everything depressurizes)

And then US has another problem... lots of guns and lots of bullets and lots of drunk people ... I'd like to see how they can keep near vacuum in those tubes for long distances between cities when some nutso can just shoot the tube (which would have to be round and light for cost reasons (and to make it easy to vacuum)

Would be easier to just make the tube and then bury it under a meter or so of earth ... but then you could just prefabricate things like you would for tunnels and use maglev style tracks and would be cheaper.

I can see this working as transport for merchandise, not people, stuff that doesn't require air to survive.  Basically reinvent the  pneumatic tubes but with trains and electricity

Just standardize a modular container which is smaller than the typical shipping containers, and then you can make up "loop" trains a few miles long and stuff them with these tinier containers and send the stuff across US.

Faster than airplanes, potential to be cheaper if you think of all the fuel used by trucks (not to mention wear and tear, driver paychecks etc), takes the load off regular railways for stuff sent through regular trains..

2 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

The forum post has to go up before the video is published so if you hit F5 around 11am PST you might get to see a video early :P

I know, just felt very early today, but that might just be me not usually paying that close attention to the time.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

And then US has another problem... lots of guns and lots of bullets and lots of drunk people ... I'd like to see how they can keep near vacuum in those tubes for long distances between cities when some nutso can just shoot the tube (which would have to be round and light for cost reasons (and to make it easy to vacuum)

It's not a complete vacuum and is maintained by having air pumped out in a bunch of places along the tube, meaning that it doesn't need to be perfectly sealed, also means no explosive decompression.  You could say most of those things about a Skytrain or Subway.

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

It's not a complete vacuum and is maintained by having air pumped out in a bunch of places along the tube, meaning that it doesn't need to be perfectly sealed, also means no explosive decompression.  You could say most of those things about a Skytrain or Subway.

No, you really can´t, the variance in pressure in those cases is minimal, they are not sealed chambers, but actually actively ventilated.
The vacuum chamber that is part of the LHC was a massive undertaking and this project wants to make chambers many times that size all over the country?
Maglev trains are twenty times cheaper, plus that technology is not a distant dream, but something that is already implemented. As a bonus, they are also faster, since you don´t have to re-pressurize at every stop, when you want to get people in and out.
Well, and also, they are not a giant hazard, since vacuum chambers are inherently unstable, we just don´t have materials that can withstand atmospheric pressure that well and any unsettling of the chamber will cause a chain reaction and collapse of the whole system. To set a seismically active region as an example for this project is just mind numbing.
I´m all fine with people doing dumb thing with their own money, but when they get more grants and tax exemptions than entire universities, it´s pretty sour, but hey, at least they have enough to throw some to you to make up for the missing ad revenues from youtube.

10 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Thanks to TE Connectivity for sponsoring this video!

Would you rather

1-spend a week in Gulag

2-get gassed at Auschwitz

3-get an original pentium based pc

Nice to see a post filled with discussion instead of "I like the old videos better, boooo".

Will be cool to see an actual route with this technology 

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

12 hours ago, Damascus said:

Not a fan of hyperloop, the concept is interesting but it's more dangerous than its worth IMO.

Maglev trains have been hovering for decades and are soo much safer, cheaper and they come very close in speed.

Lelz, watched to the end and 10/10 agree with closing statement about broad usability 

I fully agree. You should watch thunderf00ts video on the hyperloop. He brings up some cool points about it not wokring too.

7 hours ago, CatsOnDrugs said:

I fully agree. You should watch thunderf00ts video on the hyperloop. He brings up some cool points about it not wokring too.

There are a lot of problems with the concept... None of which are brought up in that video. Basically read the first comment in this thread.

23 minutes ago, corruptturret said:

I don't get it, why was this video "not well received" or whatever?

Linus thinks it wasn't well-received because some people complained about the overall Hyperloop concept being difficult/infeasible. Honestly, I didn't see that many comments about it, and it's nice to see people discussing it, but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, corruptturret said:

Yeah, I was confused by that too... 27k likes, 2k dislikes, and mostly positive or general discussion comments from what I can see. Seems pretty well received to me ?

25 minutes ago, drphildobaggins said:

Yeah, I was confused by that too... 27k likes, 2k dislikes, and mostly positive or general discussion comments from what I can see. Seems pretty well received to me ?

93% L:D ratio is pretty poor for our channel, and the creator comment view is different from the default one. There was a LOT of shrieking about it - not immediately after release, and the ratio is better now, but in between.

This specific concept maybe not, but his points about the integrity of a massive metal vacuum tube not only in the natural environment but also safety concerns. Yes this design works but its not made to carry people. All this concept proves is that we can use magnets to levitate shit and make it move. A concept already proven by maglev trains. This concept is only a prototype, but the video i was referring to speaks about the final passenger version. Considering that in order for this thing to work it needs to be full of batteries its far from the version that the video talks about. I was just mentioning it because it also talks about the hyper loop in a logical and scientific manner. *Also for a planet which is moving towards more and more efficient means of transport i doubt technology that requiers this much energy to run would become popularised over things we have now that are much more efficient. 

On 9/8/2017 at 2:44 AM, corruptturret said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's just a proxy way to vent about the negativity surrounding the anti-RGB video (and the other non-content videos in a similar vein). I didn't expect an acknowledgement about recent negativity (if anything maybe just a "we'll do better next time" quote), but as they brought up the recent negative reception of some of their content (in the latest WAN show), the anti-RGB negativity was conspicuous in its absence.