wifi dongle linux

So I just finally switched all the way over to linux and I have a wifi dongle that works but it can max do 1.5mb which is fast but the latency seems LONG. I also have this wifi adapter which I used on windows adapter http://www.trendtechcn.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=322 I have tried for ages to get it working. I have tried github after github of "working drivers" Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0e8d:7610 MediaTek Inc.  mt7610 driver. I have gotten a lot of wrong ones installed but whenever I try the correct one I ALWAYS get target "LINUX" I don't want to waste anyone's time. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED 

21390308_1879449815400306_261539192_o.jpg

21392478_1879450322066922_406263770_o.jpg

Probably going to be a lone post from me because sleeps, but could you specify what OS version, kernel version you're running? Also, have you checked to make sure you installed build-essential and the kernel headers for the version youre running?

FWIW, if there are no out of the box drivers, I'd use the github based ones over the manufacturer drivers generally since those are usually old and crufty.

Looking at this (http://amazeballsysadmin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/getting-mt7610u-edimax-7711macsabrent.html) it seems that you may need to go through a header file or two, which to me seems odd since thats a regression over how drivers have been lately on most modern distros.

Also, if it works already you may want to make extra sure the latency is indeed driver related and not something else. Sidenote: if you take a look at dmesg, you should see a lot more info about your system and if anything is throwing any nasties it'll show up there.

Good luck!

@code_glitchThank you very much for your informational reply. I ditched that one went to another which caused a kernel panic removed it and now onto that link you sent. 

No matter what one i try it gives that error can any one tell me what that means and how it can be fixed

So since what I can piece together from your last screen is that someone must have made a major goof in the actual code I thought I'd give this a try...

Using a ubuntu 16.04.3 server install with the 4.4 kernel I had no problems building this in about 5 minutes on a single core. The commands I used were as follows (and are similar to those found here: https://amazeballsysadmin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/getting-mt7610u-edimax-7711macsabrent.html)

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git

git clone https://sanrath@bitbucket.org/sanrath/mediatek_mt7610u_sta_driver_linux-64bit.git

cd mediatek_mt7610u_sta_driver_linux-64bit/

make

which gives me a bunch of build spam and eventually spits out my .ko module at os/linux/mt7610u_sta.ko which leads me to believe everything is fine with the source.

Could you post up the output of the following so we can get a better idea of whats different on my test setup and yours?

lsb_release -a

uname -a

xuxu@xuxu:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release:    16.04
Codename:    xenial
xuxu@xuxu:~$

xuxu@xuxu:~$ uname -a
Linux xuxu 4.10.0-28-generic #32~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 20 10:19:48 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
xuxu@xuxu:~$

I am on xubuntu

@code_glitch also should i run the commands to see if it gives the same error ( I made another thread someone suggested ndiswrapper and it messed up my install this is a brand new one)

ndiswrapper is pretty old school and really isnt needed for 99% of cards these days on modern linux.

Given that youre on fundamentally an almost identical system, I'd give my build commands a try to see if you get a .ko file generated or if you still get some weird error.