$750 setup, any thoughts?

Just now, Douglas The Duck said:

Ok, wow. That's a lot for me to process...........

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I recommend you watch the whole thing. Jim offers some amazing insight on the AMD/Intel rivalry over the years.

Just now, MegaVoltz said:

I recommend you watch the whole thing. Jim offers some amazing insight on the AMD/Intel rivalry over the years.

I'm watching it right now. 

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

1 minute ago, Douglas The Duck said:

I'm watching it right now. 

I must admit, his crispy British/Australian accent adds a lot of spice to his videos :D

I must admit, his crispy British accent adds a lot of spice to his videos :D

Yeah

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

2 minutes ago, Douglas The Duck said:

Yeah

He really likes to talk about EaMD and Entel.

17 minutes ago, Douglas The Duck said:

The Threadripper is a good budget CPU

boi stop everyone knows the 2699V4 is the most budget CPU there ever was

"I'm not really that old, I'm just 18 + shipping" -Unknown

Please tell me why you aren't on dark theme already.

Herro my dark theme brothers.

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus that is patiently waiting to be jailbroken.

1 minute ago, xDyl said:

I guess I could go a bit over budget and get an Atom Z520

I guess I could go a bit over budget and get an Atom Z520

bro stop that is way too much power for way too much money

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

2 minutes ago, xDyl said:

boi I dont know what tiggly time you live in but a Quantum CPU is the way to go when it comes to your first PC.

Just now, Douglas The Duck said:

boi I dont know what tiggly time you live in but a Quantum CPU is the way to go when it comes to your first PC.

personally i recommend the i69-1337K

Spoiler

1 minute ago, xDyl said:

personally i recommend the i69-1337K

naah, id go with the i666-6969K

Vro You Gotta go with the The Threadripper Ripper 

We're gonna get warning points for off topic lol... going back to the post, get ryzen or wait for covfefe lake i5s

Spoiler

Just now, xDyl said:

We're gonna get warning points for off topic lol... going back to the post, get ryzen or wait for covfefe lake i5s

Covfefe lake will probably still get beaten by Zen 2...

Gotta go for now, cya!

Use A ryzen I7-7700k 

1 hour ago, MegaVoltz said:

Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.96 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg)

I would opt for faster ram 3000 or 3200 also 2x4 gb sticks to run in dual channel.

I have heard a lot of negative comments about msi ryzen boards.  I have no experience with this as I have an ASRock but it may be worth looking at a bit more.

11 hours ago, Beowulff83 said:

I would opt for faster ram 3000 or 3200 also 2x4 gb sticks to run in dual channel.

I have heard a lot of negative comments about msi ryzen boards.  I have no experience with this as I have an ASRock but it may be worth looking at a bit more.

I can't afford to buy 3200MHz ram or run it in dual channel. It simply is not worth it. In my current configuration I would be able to upgrade to 32GB of ram, if I ran 4gb in dual channel I could only do 16 or 24.

It isn't remotely worth the price to run ram in dual-channel unless you have a lot of money to spend and don't mind about the hit to upgradeability.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, MegaVoltz said:

This is taken directly from the 450 B3 review, and I quote:

"The 450 B3 demonstrates excellent performance for the standards of this price range, a fairly long hold-up time, and quiet operation. Modular cabling, a user-selectable semi-passive mode, and a five-year warranty are icing on the cake. Most important is EVGA's impressive performance-per-dollar ratio. The company used to sell hardware at cost to batter its competition, and it appears to be using a similar tactic with the B3 family. After all, it's hard to offer all of the 450 B3's functionality for just $50."

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-b3-psu,5160-11.html

You seem to have conveniently left out this paragraph.

In the end, it may not matter because the 450 B3 has other, more serious problems. It looks like Super Flower made a huge mistake in its design, which poses a major safety risk. We noticed that the over-power protection triggering point is set way too high. Even under normal operating temperatures, one of the primary FETs in our store-bought sample, along with some other components, blew up. Either SF should set its OPP point much lower or use components able to handle higher amperage. We were also disturbed by the fact that, after the primary side shorted out, the PSU's fuse didn't blow. Every time we applied power, we saw sparks. Obviously, that's a fire hazard.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 9/5/2017 at 10:17 PM, DocSwag said:

You seem to have conveniently left out this paragraph.

0_0

ok I didn't even see that paragraph

guess I'm going for the evga 600B, that has solid ratings...

1 hour ago, MegaVoltz said:

0_0

ok I didn't even see that paragraph

guess I'm going for the evga 600B, that has solid ratings...

600b is eh....

Go for a CX/CXM grey sticker instead.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

600b is eh....

Go for a CX/CXM grey sticker instead.

CX650 has 4.3 stars compared to the 4.5 on the 600B.

It's also a lot more expensive. EVGA units are rock-solid reliable. No one I've ever talked to has had a bad experience with them.

What about this?

5 minutes ago, MegaVoltz said:

CX650 has 4.3 stars compared to the 4.5 on the 600B.

It's also a lot more expensive. EVGA units are rock-solid reliable. No one I've ever talked to has had a bad experience with them.

That doesn't change how the units perform, and which components are used inside. Use professional reviews, rather than user reviews, as they tend to be "it hasn't blown up yet, 5/5 perfect". 

EVGA is quite capable of selling bad units, like the non 80+ rated units, B1, G1, and BV. 

Here's Jonnyguru's review of the 500B, and here's Tom's hardware's review of the CX650M. The CX650M is a very decent unit, while the B1 units are pretty bad

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

That doesn't change how the units perform, and which components are used inside. Use professional reviews, rather than user reviews, as they tend to be "it hasn't blown up yet, 5/5 perfect". 

EVGA is quite capable of selling bad units, like the non 80+ rated units, B1, G1, and BV. 

Here's Jonnyguru's review of the 500B, and here's Tom's hardware's review of the CX650M. The CX650M is a very decent unit, while the B1 units are pretty bad

Thank you! :)

The thing is, what signifies a "good" power supply? If it doesn't blow up, has the safety precautions a power supply should have, provides the necessary wattage at high temperatures, uses the right amount of Japanese capacitors, and lives up to its efficiency rating, WHAT makes it BAD?

4 minutes ago, MegaVoltz said:

Thank you! :)

The thing is, what signifies a "good" power supply? If it doesn't blow up, has the safety precautions a power supply should have, provides the necessary wattage at high temperatures, uses the right amount of Japanese capacitors, and lives up to its efficiency rating, WHAT makes it BAD?

With the B1? Capxon and Teapo components, group regulated design, not very good voltage regulation, and not very good ripple. 

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

With the B1? Capxon and Teapo components, group regulated design, not very good voltage regulation, and not very good ripple. 

What does that mean? xD

How about this one?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438100&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817438100&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt5SKh-CW1gIVwh6GCh3OOg_CEAYYASABEgLyV_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds