Replacing optical drive with SSD

Is it possible to replace the optical drive in my laptop and use the caddy enclosure of the dvd drive for my new SSD? Or am I forced to buy a caddy rather than using the one that currently holds my optical drive? The reason for this is to of course not have to buy a caddy enclosure for my SSD whereas I can use my existing one I have that encloses my optical drive. Is this possible?

Depends on the laptop,which one do you have?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Is it possible to replace the optical drive in my laptop and use the caddy enclosure of the dvd drive for my new SSD? Or am I forced to buy a caddy rather than using the one that currently holds my optical drive? The reason for this is to of course not have to buy a caddy enclosure for my SSD whereas I can use my existing one I have that encloses my optical drive. Is this possible?

Usually the Optical drives have a different connection to the standard SATA, so I'm gonna say no.

SSD is a replacement for your HDD, just take that out and use it externally with the SSD in the HDD bay - straight swap that way.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Usually the Optical drives have a different connection to the standard SATA, so I'm gonna say no.

SSD is a replacement for your HDD, just take that out and use it externally with the SSD in the HDD bay - straight swap that way.

No, opticals use either pata or sata. It will work if you can find a caddy for it. My macbook pro has that ability.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

All you need is a caddy, it uses the same connectors, either sata or psata.

OP which laptop do you have

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

If you do not mind a whole in your laptop you can use any caddie you want. I had a macbook pro caddie on my old samsung laptop. 

Wow that question is very generic.

The CD/DVD drive is dying my friend. Might as well just change it for something they will truly use.

As the others said, find a caddy. 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Wow that question is very generic.

How so?

Just find a compatible hdd caddy.

If you can get a cheap one that's for your laptop model that sits flush with the drive slot, great.

If not, just get a universal one. Make sure to check if you have a slim or normal optical drive.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I did it with my laptop. Like everyone else said, just get a caddy for cheap on eBay. You should be able to take the cover off the optical drive and attach it to the caddy so it looks like an optical drive instead of having a hole there.

OK thanks for all the great replies. 

For those who ask my laptop is a ASUS K55n 15.6 inch notebook.

AMD A8-4500m processor, 8GB RAM and Radeon 7640g graphics for anyone who wants to know.

I was already planning on buying a caddy for the SSD but I was just curious if I could once remove the DVD drive, dissemble it from its caddy and put the SSD inside of the caddy that enclosed the optical drive rather than buying a separate caddy online. I was just wondering if this was possible.

If not, I will defiantly look up for a caddy online.

Thanks

The CD/DVD drive is dying my friend. Might as well just change it for something they will truly use.

As the others said, find a caddy. 

yea but he didn't say what laptop he had or anything.

yea but he didn't say what laptop he had or anything.

Well I assume he's finding it himself or already found it as he didn't reply :l

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER