Gtx 780 bottlenecked by amd fx4350?

mawv

Have had the fx4350 forever and am looking to update the rig. I'm fairly sure that the 780 is being bottle necked but not quite sure. Also looking to get an r7 1700 and want to know what gpu would pair nicely with it. Thanks in advance

780 should be between the 1050ti and the 1060 3gb in performance but the FX 4350 is fairly old. The system will probably maintain close to 60 FPS but the 780 should be capable of more definitively some bottlenecking.

Also I'd consider the 1600 it's a fairly decent chip and 6/12 cores/threads is more than enough. The 1700 probably only helps you in productivity or streaming not normal gaming (at this time anyways)

-------

Current Rig

-------

is your fx 4350 at 100% usage and your gpu less than 100? thats how you confirm a bottleneck , when the cpu cannot go any faster , but the gpu can.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

is your fx 4350 at 100% usage and your gpu less than 100? thats how you confirm a bottleneck , when the cpu cannot go any faster , but the gpu can.

I'll check that out when I get home, thanks fir the idea

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

780 should be between the 1050ti and the 1060 3gb in performance but the FX 4350 is fairly old. The system will probably maintain close to 60 FPS but the 780 should be capable of more definitively some bottlenecking.

Also I'd consider the 1600 it's a fairly decent chip and 6/12 cores/threads is more than enough. The 1700 probably only helps you in productivity or streaming not normal gaming (at this time anyways)

Your right on with the fps guess. I can play overwatch low setting at 65-75 with some bad stuttering if I've got something in the background. My monitor is freesync so I was looking for an amd gpu but Vega flopped so the wait continues. Might spring for something higher end for the cpu as my friend is willing to sell me his gtx 1080 Seahawk for 400. You think something with a higher ipc and clock speed like something from Intel would be required to use it to it's full potential?

1 minute ago, mawv said:

Your right on with the fps guess. I can play overwatch low setting at 65-75 with some bad stuttering if I've got something in the background. My monitor is freesync so I was looking for an amd gpu but Vega flopped so the wait continues. Might spring for something higher end for the cpu as my friend is willing to sell me his gtx 1080 Seahawk for 400. You think something with a higher ipc and clock speed like something from Intel would be required to use it to it's full potential?

Well it depends on what games you wanna play and what GPU you end up getting: that 1080 can play lighter titles like Overwatch at really high FPS and Ryzen can keep up fine up until the 120 to 144hz mark past that it's just not fast enough and you'd need an intel chip with heavy overclocks.

Right now I also own a freesync monitor but I am not planing on changing my 1070 because Vega 56 is just not priced low enough. I'd be even nicer but 75hz gaming on Vsync works just fine for me (I am more of an open world and RPG kinda player, not usually playing multiplayer shooters or very rarely)

-------

Current Rig

-------