Can a HTPC be used as a surround sound system?

SHOOK_Linus

Yes, just connect an optical cable from the motherboard output into the pre-amp. 

I would get a G4560 rather than an i3 though. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you mean have the PC replace your receiver, not quite then. I can't think of a sound card that will accept banana plugs or speaker wires as output. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, SHOOK_Linus said:

Snip

Your motherboard has 7.1 audio connections on the back plus an optical out. You should be covered. You won't be able to use this PC as a middle-man between your media device and your speakers.... but if you intend on using this AS your media device (seems likely considering the build) then it should be able to fuel your sound system just fine.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, just connect an optical cable from the motherboard output into the pre-amp. 

Can you run UHD Netflix on the G4560? I know that it requires Kaby Lake, but I wonder if they count that cpu too

it has 5.1 analog audio output, but it wont have the output power to hook it straight into speakers, you'll still need an amplifier either way.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it has 5.1 analog audio output, but it wont have the output power to hook it straight into speakers, you'll still need an amplifier either way.

What do you mean by this...? I have a 5.1 surround on a PC at home with a old first generation Core series motherboard (no idea the exact board, but it was bought from best buy in a pre-built nearly a decade ago so it can't be all that good lol) hooked up to ONLY the motherboard on the back and then power into the wall... it works fine? or is this some audiophile "take your speakers to the next level or don't bother at all" milarchy?

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

What do you mean by this...? I have a 5.1 surround on a PC at home with a old first generation Core series motherboard (no idea the exact board, was bought from best buy nearly a decade ago so it can't be all that good lol) hooked up to ONLY the motherboard on the back and then power into the wall... it works fine? or is this some audiophile "take your speakers to the next level or don't bother at all" milarchy?

Your speakers are powered from the wall. 

A lot of speakers don't have a power cable and are powered over the speaker cable. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

What do you mean by this...? I have a 5.1 surround on a PC at home with a old first generation Core series motherboard (no idea the exact board, was bought from best buy nearly a decade ago so it can't be all that good lol) hooked up to ONLY the motherboard on the back and then power into the wall... it works fine? or is this some audiophile "take your speakers to the next level or don't bother at all" milarchy?

this is applying logic:

the 3.5mm outputs on motherboards are made for headphones or powered speakers, while there may be some exceptions, most motherboards out there dont have the output power to drive a surround setup system at an acceptable volume. hence why i said you still need an amplifier in between, which is essentially what powered speakers are: an amplifier built into your speakers.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Your speakers are powered from the wall. 

A lot of speakers don't have a power cable and are powered over the speaker cable. 

That's common on a surround sound speaker system? that's a LOT of speakers to not have access to wall power. on cheap 2 pc desk speakers or a headset sure.... but a home theatre surround setup..?

6 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

That's common on a surround sound speaker system? that's a LOT of speakers to not have access to wall power. on cheap 2 pc desk speakers or a headset sure.... but a home theatre surround setup..?

Most good speakers require an amplifier to get their power. 

For a good home surround system (not Sonos type low end), you have: 

• Cable Box/DVD player/PC/source of content
    • HDMI output -> Pre-Amp's input
      • HDMI output -> TV's input
      • XLR/RCA cable output -> amplifier/s input
        • Speaker wire running to each speaker 

@Zyndo I updated this post with a bit more detail.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What would a good pre amp be?

7 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Your motherboard has 7.1 audio connections on the back plus an optical out. You should be covered. You won't be able to use this PC as a middle-man between your media device and your speakers.... but if you intend on using this AS your media device (seems likely considering the build) then it should be able to fuel your sound system just fine.

How would I go about does go this, also, would the line in port work for using the pc as a middle man?

35 minutes ago, SHOOK_Linus said:

What would a good pre amp be?

What setup do you have right now? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, ErrantNyles said:

Can you run UHD Netflix on the G4560? I know that it requires Kaby Lake, but I wonder if they count that cpu too

Most likely yes, since it shares the same IGPU as other Kabylake chips and can support 4K 30fps.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

2 hours ago, SHOOK_Linus said:

How would I go about does go this, also, would the line in port work for using the pc as a middle man?

my 5.1 at home has coloured jacks.... put the coloured jacks into the appropriate coloured ports on the motherboard and the electronics do the rest. and i don't know what you mean by "line in" but if you mean the headphone port I doubt it since that wouldn't carry 5.1 channels on it. at best you could get stereo out of it. But sound systems aren't really my forte, so I'm probably not the person you want to give you a definitive answer on the matter.

3 hours ago, Zyndo said:

my 5.1 at home has coloured jacks.... put the coloured jacks into the appropriate coloured ports on the motherboard and the electronics do the rest. and i don't know what you mean by "line in" but if you mean the headphone port I doubt it since that wouldn't carry 5.1 channels on it. at best you could get stereo out of it. But sound systems aren't really my forte, so I'm probably not the person you want to give you a definitive answer on the matter.

So the 5.1 is seperate?

42 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

gaming? not a chance (unless running a super easy game like LoL on low settings).

video playback? easily.

No, not gaming, no way, i meant like can it output 4k 60hz to the 4k TV over HDMI

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5792910.p?skuId=5792910

4 hours ago, SHOOK_Linus said:

Not really sure what you mean by "setup", but here is a link to my HTPC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/greendroid10/saved/WFyccf

What speakers do you have or are you looking at?

3 hours ago, SHOOK_Linus said:

No, not gaming, no way, i meant like can it output 4k 60hz to the 4k TV over HDMI

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5792910.p?skuId=5792910

It can output 4k@24hz over HDMI and 4k@60hz over Display Port, but for movies/tv 24hz is fine. If you want 4k@60hz, then you would need to use an active Display port to HDMI adapter (which are expensive), and you would also be limited in what the iGPU could run at 60fps.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What speakers do you have or are you looking at?

I haven’t looked for any yet, so the only things I’m certain of so far are the system and the TV (See other thread posts for links)

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It can output 4k@24hz over HDMI and 4k@60hz over Display Port, but for movies/tv 24hz is fine. If you want 4k@60hz, then you would need to use an active Display port to HDMI adapter (which are expensive), and you would also be limited in what the iGPU could run at 60fps.

We are going to get the adapter