i7 7700k vs i7 6700k

this will be my first pc build. I am only planning on playing games like csgo and rainbow six siege at 1080p, which would be more worth it?

thanks in advance

If you wouldnt miss the extra you would pay for 7700k that buy that, so it lasts you longer since its newer/more powerfull cpu (not by much).

For csgo and rs siege its a little overkill, dunno what gpu you are getting though.

So Buy the 7700k if you wont miss the money, 6700k if you have very tight budget.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

3 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

If you wouldnt miss the extra you would pay for 7700k that buy that, so it lasts you longer since its newer/more powerfull cpu (not by much).

For csgo and rs siege its a little overkill, dunno what gpu you are getting though.

So Buy the 7700k if you wont miss the money, 6700k if you have very tight budget.

im getting a msi gtx 1070 gaming x with around $1800 AUD budget

2 hours ago, chris ryan said:

im getting a msi gtx 1070 gaming x with around $1800 AUD budget

get the 7700k then, if you are not willing to wait longer for the newer architecture which is coming.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

Hello, One year ago I bought the i7 6700k @4GHZ,I don't like what I read about my processor, in that time was one of the best in the market...

Do I need to think on change motherboard processor and memory again?

I use my computer for Plex Server, with 6 HDD of 4TB each full of movies and for personal use an development of apps, web, photoshop and things like that, I don't want to be short of resources.

Thanks for any advice.

16 hours ago, HRSCR said:

Hello, One year ago I bought the i7 6700k @4GHZ,I don't like what I read about my processor, in that time was one of the best in the market...

Do I need to think on change motherboard processor and memory again?

I use my computer for Plex Server, with 6 HDD of 4TB each full of movies and for personal use an development of apps, web, photoshop and things like that, I don't want to be short of resources.

Thanks for any advice.

No, you definitely dont need to change, its a completely different case. He is buying a new PC, so it is understandable he wants to get the most for his money, and make it so it lasts the longest no? Last year, when the 7700k was not available, the choice was between 4790k and 6700k from which the 6700k was th better choice from the long term and what you were getting standpoint. This changes with every new architecture, even though you are spending maybe 30$ mroe on the newer chip, but you get newer architecture (which is almost allways more powerfull/needs less power), maybe some new features that come with it.

I myself have 4790k which i bought 2 years ago and i am not planning t o upgrade it to 7700k any time soon, its perfectly good chip. Yeah i am running on watercooling and delided it so i have temps of 56*C at 4.7-4.8 GHz at 1.3-1.35V but still, the performance difference absolutely not worth for me to spend another 600$ on a new mobo+ram+cpu. 

And the performance difference is max 10-20% which is in my opinion nothing when you are not rendering stuff with it etc etc, which a X700series are not designed for... 

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2017 at 12:16 AM, bughtoo said:

No, you definitely dont need to change, its a completely different case. He is buying a new PC, so it is understandable he wants to get the most for his money, and make it so it lasts the longest no? Last year, when the 7700k was not available, the choice was between 4790k and 6700k from which the 6700k was th better choice from the long term and what you were getting standpoint. This changes with every new architecture, even though you are spending maybe 30$ mroe on the newer chip, but you get newer architecture (which is almost allways more powerfull/needs less power), maybe some new features that come with it.

I myself have 4790k which i bought 2 years ago and i am not planning t o upgrade it to 7700k any time soon, its perfectly good chip. Yeah i am running on watercooling and delided it so i have temps of 56*C at 4.7-4.8 GHz at 1.3-1.35V but still, the performance difference absolutely not worth for me to spend another 600$ on a new mobo+ram+cpu. 

And the performance difference is max 10-20% which is in my opinion nothing when you are not rendering stuff with it etc etc, which a X700series are not designed for... 

Thank you for your complete response and time, sorry, i don't receive notification of your answer and is marked to get the notification... that's why until today I read your comment.

About the perfomance 4K content , Plex Server and 8 hard drives handling between both.

HEVC works in the same way is on 6700K and the 7700k?

I just wondering, in some place ( I'm not sure) i yhink that I read thta I need the 7700K for HEVC codecs

Is that true?

Thank you!

Really appreciated

Ok, I found this Video in Linus Tech Tips channel and the "HEVC situation"

Info about my "HEVC decoding concerns" in the chart comparison (time is setup in the video to start in that chart)

Thinking about have a Plex Sever in my computer and nVidiaSield streaming TV box I wondering if i need to change to i7700k just for the HEVC

Thank you in advance