Max possible eGPU

Jdog

I have a few questions that Linus didn't answer in is videos about eGPU enclosures and the Razer Core. 

1. Does the Razer core hot-swap feature reduce performance vs. a eGPU enclosure that doesn't support hot swap?

2. Does running a 1080ti give a boost of performance over a 1080 in a eGPU enclosure? I.E. is there a performance cap? (yes I know there is a is a performance percentage loss)

3. What is the best performing eGPU enclosure, or are they all the same? 

thanks, I know this is a lot. Would love to hear some thoughts!

7 minutes ago, Jdog said:

Does running a 1080ti give a boost of performance over a 1080 in a eGPU enclosure? I.E. is there a performance cap? 

1.) That is incredibly stupid

2.) Yes there is a cap. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3. Dell's enclosure with Dell laptops work better than Razer laptop with Razer Core. This is what some youtube large reviewer found out. I dont know whether Razer core works better on Razer laptops or not, but Dell's enclosure seems to work with Dell laptops only.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The most powerful GPU that you can hope to manage with TB3 is a GTX 1060. The bandwidth will simply bottleneck anything else too hard. Remember, you're dealing with a PCI-E Gen 3 lane at x2 speed. The most you can hope to get outta that is maybe a 1060.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

28 minutes ago, Jdog said:

I have a few questions that Linus didn't answer in is videos about eGPU enclosures and the Razer Core. 

1. Does the Razer core hot-swap feature reduce performance vs. a eGPU enclosure that doesn't support hot swap?

2. Does running a 1080ti give a boost of performance over a 1080 in a eGPU enclosure? I.E. is there a performance cap? (yes I know there is a is a performance percentage loss)

3. What is the best performing eGPU enclosure, or are they all the same? 

thanks, I know this is a lot. Would love to hear some thoughts!

No, it does not decrease performance, but I'd recommend another dock over the Core due to the implementation of Razer's hardware inside. The Core is TI82 based, you will want a TI83 controller based product like the Akitio Node or Sonnet Breakaway Box (used in the Apple eGPU dev kit) due to the increased compatibility. 

There is not a performance cap. Use a HP ZBook or MacBook Pro machine to get the best performance due to these laptops having their TB3 controller connected to the CPU lanes instead of the x4 that is offered by the PCH. 

Do keep in mind that laptop CPUs are still not as quick as their desktop counterparts, and some high end desktop CPUs struggle with 1080Ti bottlenecking. 

17 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

3. Dell's enclosure with Dell laptops work better than Razer laptop with Razer Core. This is what some youtube large reviewer found out. I dont know whether Razer core works better on Razer laptops or not, but Dell's enclosure seems to work with Dell laptops only.

This is also true, the Dell eGPU dock runs through the CPU lanes instead of the PCH lanes offered by other laptops. 

15 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

The most powerful GPU that you can hope to manage with TB3 is a GTX 1060. The bandwidth will simply bottleneck anything else too hard. Remember, you're dealing with a PCI-E Gen 3 lane at x2 speed. The most you can hope to get outta that is maybe a 1060.

What the fuck are you talking about? 

You're getting 4 Gen3 lanes, it's only some Dell machines that limit it to x2 speed. 

perfrel_1920_1080.png

tested over 20 game average.. 

idk

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

You're getting 4 Gen3 lanes, it's only some Dell machines that limit it to x2 speed.

Just to be clear, it isn't a Dell-specific thing, it just depends on TB3 implementation, Intel offers TB3 controllers with 2 lanes and with 4 lanes, manufacturers can choose which to use. Other companies (like Lenovo) also use 2-lane controllers on some of their laptops.

Thanks Droidbot! Perhaps this is a dumb question. would 1080ti in the Akitio Node allow smooth 4k gaming?

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

No, it does not decrease performance, but I'd recommend another dock over the Core due to the implementation of Razer's hardware inside. The Core is TI82 based, you will want a TI83 controller based product like the Akitio Node or Sonnet Breakaway Box (used in the Apple eGPU dev kit) due to the increased compatibility. 

There is not a performance cap. Use a HP ZBook or MacBook Pro machine to get the best performance due to these laptops having their TB3 controller connected to the CPU lanes instead of the x4 that is offered by the PCH. 

Do keep in mind that laptop CPUs are still not as quick as their desktop counterparts, and some high end desktop CPUs struggle with 1080Ti bottlenecking. 

This is also true, the Dell eGPU dock runs through the CPU lanes instead of the PCH lanes offered by other laptops. 

What the fuck are you talking about? 

perfrel_1920_1080.png

tested over 20 game average.. 

I like how you showed this as if it's representative of exactly what TB3 is like. Because if it's a max of 4 lanes, that's shared through the entire machine, including storage and otherwise. Best case scenario being that you're slicing that in half.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

1 minute ago, Imglidinhere said:

I like how you showed this as if it's representative of exactly what TB3 is like. Because if it's a max of 4 lanes, that's shared through the entire machine, including storage and otherwise. Best case scenario being that you're slicing that in half.

Some machines route it through the PCH, some machines like HP's ZBook line and the MBP15" run it through the processor. 

That is what I remarked upon. 

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Just to be clear, it isn't a Dell-specific thing, it just depends on TB3 implementation, Intel offers TB3 controllers with 2 lanes and with 4 lanes, manufacturers can choose which to use. Other companies (like Lenovo) also use 2-lane controllers on some of their laptops.

Yeah, it's also Apple that do it - it's due to the lower end processors (U series) not offering as many PCI-E lanes for use, or using an x2 to the CPU from PCH. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Some machines route it through the PCH, some machines like HP's ZBook line and the MBP15" run it through the processor. 

That is what I remarked upon. 

Yeah, it's also Apple that do it - it's due to the lower end processors (U series) not offering as many PCI-E lanes for use, or using an x2 to the CPU from PCH. 

I stated the best GPU to use would be a 1060. I'm not wrong. It's pointless to go higher than that because the cost of buying a more powerful GPU just means you wasted money on a rather high-end gaming laptop in the first place, and didn't bother saving up for a more powerful version first.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

11 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

I stated the best GPU to use would be a 1060. I'm not wrong. It's pointless to go higher than that because the cost of buying a more powerful GPU just means you wasted money on a rather high-end gaming laptop in the first place, and didn't bother saving up for a more powerful version first.

But the problem is that you seem to think that you are correct that it is the best GPU to use. 

Some people just want a convenient solution where they can take a computer with a fast CPU to school to use for productivity like compiling applications and related tasks, and when they get home they can drop into Windows and game. That is why I have an eGPU and I can imagine that's the reason a lot of people have one as well. 

Who says that it's only gaming laptops that have TB interfaces? Because that's very, very wrong.. Zbooks are business machines used in production for movies and related content around the world. The MacBook Pro 15", as much as it is a warm running housefire with a fucking huge touchpad and a shitty keyboard, is one of the best selling laptops to various people, and the Touchbar is fucking cool (but kinda useless).. Yet both of these machines come with GPUs that aren't really that powerful (no offense AMD, the pro 555 isn't a good chip).. why not add to the power with a nice eGPU for use at home? 

You've got an unrestricted quick PCI-E x4 interface with very little interference (that's why TB cables are an arm, leg, and a left kidney), why not use it to the fullest?

idk