Can a 1 year old computer be dying already?

Hi, LTT. So, around 1 year ago i built this computer with all new parts, purely for gaming. With am AMD FX-8350, compatible motherboard and an AMD RADEON R7 370. It all worked fine until very recently. The computer shuts down, as in it's not responsive, and the screen is black. But you can still hear the computer running and the only way to stop it is by going behind and interrupting power from the power supply. HW Monitor reports temperatures of over 80 degrees on the FX while gaming, could that be a problem? The power supply is an Inter Tech Energon 650w power supply, which is supposed to be enough. Please inform me if you need any more info about anything.

I have attached a print screen of HW Monitor while playing Dragon Age Inquisition.

diba.png

That PSU is junk. Replace it asap.

Never ever ever cheap out on the PSU, get a decent one and you'll be fine.

It's very likely the stupid thing will die/explode/catch fire when it's actually under a 600W load.

The CPU temps shouldn't cause this behaviour, the system should start to lag/slow down a lot before it actually reaches critical temperatures and shutdown.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

That's pretty hot enough to make a pancake tho.

So, probably it is. Imagine yourself staying inside a room with the same temperature as that.

And as @samcool55 said too. That PSU either can be a problem especially for constant gaming.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

So, what you guys are saying, that the problem with the shut downs is the power supply. Can i help the temps in ways other than to buy a after market cooling for the cpu?

Also, should i put it on the ground or on the desk? I know it's called a desktop, but still.

4 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

So, what you guys are saying, that the problem with the shut downs is the power supply. Can i help the temps in ways other than to buy a after market cooling for the cpu?

Also, should i put it on the ground or on the desk? I know it's called a desktop, but still.

Could be. I'd prefer albeit more expensive PSU for the sake of the longevity of the hardwares.

(I ever blown mine and it hits my motherboard either)

Doesn't matter I think, as long as the airflow is good, you're good to go.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

2 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

Yes it's very likely the shutdown problem is the PSU, and even if it isn't it should be replaced anyway unless you want to risk the damn thing exploding and killing possibly everything else too.

About the CPU temps, you can try to clean out the cooler, replace the thermal compound or get an aftermarket cooler as you said which is imo what i would do. That's the only thing you can do to be sure temps will go down and stay down. Cleaning and thermal compound replacement is more of a temporarily fix.

Also pushing the fans to 100% speed can help a bit as well, but again, just get an aftermarket cooler if you can, that'll fix it for sure.

And you can put the PC everywhere you want but just keep in mind it might be a bad idea if you have carpet depending what case you have. Apart from that, should be fine!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Okay, thanks for the quick response. One last question and then i'm gone, is that 87c legit? I mean, that's a huge temperature. Should i be worried?

@samcool55 the case has the power supply mounted on the bottom of the pc, that's what worries me. And it is sitting on a carpet.

1 minute ago, Diliglont said:

Okay, thanks for the quick response. One last question and then i'm gone, is that 87c legit? I mean, that's a huge temperature. Should i be worried?

@samcool55 the case has the power supply mounted on the bottom of the pc, that's what worries me. And it is sitting on a carpet.

If the PSU is mounted with the fan pointing down and trying to suck air through the bottom of the case, that's bad, really bad. You can A) flip the PSU so the fan is pointing up and sucking air from the inside of the case or B) put something below the case so there's a decent gap between the bottom of the case and whatever you put under it so the PSU can easily suck in fresh air.

87°C is possible but that's really hot, like "fix this now" bad.

Woah, thanks for the responses guys. Tho you got me worried on the PSU thing. Will attend to this asap, thank you all !

1 minute ago, Diliglont said:

Woah, thanks for the responses guys. Tho you got me worried on the PSU thing. Will attend to this asap, thank you all !

Well, you should be worried. That PSU is genuinely bad. Good thing you'll replace it asap. :)

I mean i've seen multiple posts on the forum here about pc's with a bad psu that failed and fried a few others parts as well. Diagnosing such systems is a nightmare.