My weird old tech childhood story cause Im bored and I was thinking about it

Well, I'm bored tonight so let's all gather round the camp fire and sing a camp... hmf, I mean tell a story.

My tech career is kind of a weird one. I never had a current generation device until about 4 years ago when I got my PC, and only a year and a half ago for my console. I started generations behind and somehow got here.

When I was younger, my parents never had money. Dad was bad with it, Mom kept us a float, you know that story. but i always loved electronics. I remember being real young, like 7ish and being amazed at my cousins N64 and i only ever played Pokemon. Never owned anything for myself, just kind of observed everyone else's. I didn't have many friends, and the ones I did have were basically in the same boat a me, except the one girl whos mom was a doctor, but girls don't game lol...

My first "computer" would have been around 2006, when I was 8. It was the Comadore 64. We got it free off the side of the road, it was the same one as my dads from when he was younger. I was just amazed because it had like three storage containers of floppys full of games. I swear every day I was trying something new. Then about 6 months later came the NES. My dad plugged it into a 1980's cabinet tube tv and I would play Duck hunt and Mario for hours, mostly because the other games were weird off spin ones that were just being thrown away. A little while later I had a game boy colour my dad bought as a pair and a flea market for $10. That did me for a while until my dad picked my up an old desktop that was on the side of the road. Tube monitor, desktop, mouse, keyboard. That was my setup in my room. We would pick up $1 games at the thrift store and I would just plug away. Then, magically, I accidentally got into the bios and screwed it all up. Don't ask how, I can't remember. So then came the next one from the road, and the next. I started tinkering with these old pcs I found and create these weird franken computers that sometimes worked. Around this time by grandfather gave my an old shoulder top camera from like the 80's/90's that he found in his basement that I could only see my recordings on a tube tv, so I recorded random things and just watch them in the living room. Still have that thing kicking around. When I got the grade 7/8, my dad got me and my brother a PS2. It was my first game station that would play anything relevant anymore. Everyone else had a PS 3 and we bought it on clearance at Walmart with a couple games, but hey, we had fun. That did me for a while. My first phone was grade 8. It was a flip phone with $5 on it so I could call for a ride after practice. My dad took it back after a while because I didn't need it anymore and I didn't get another until grade 10 (cheap old samsung). In grade 9 I got my first laptop. A netbook on sale at Walmart, they got it for me for Christmas. It was my first real computer in my mind because it would actually connect to the internet. I broke the screen in my backpack when I kid pushed my and I dropped the bag a year later. In grade 11 I got into a live broadcasting class that produced a daily show in the morning for the school instead of standard announcements. It was thanks to that class that I got a basic understanding of editing, shooting, lighting, the works. I learned quickly to the point where I taught younger student for a new teacher that had come in the year after (another story on its own). Come grade 12 I had a job and saved up, bought a decent laptop. 17" HP with an I5 and I think a crappy graphics card. I would love to tell you how happy I was to have that thing I paid over a grand for with my saved work money... but less then a year later someone stole it from my bag during a rugby practice, with most of the schools yearbook photos that western uploaded  yet, because I was the stupid editor... It was a rough year. Later that year I bought a desktop on sale for $1200 and a 27" dell monitor. A little after that, another laptop Dell XPS 13. Sad story, that monitor broke after a broom fell on it in my dorm room when I was studying in Ireland. Sucked balls. Bought an XBOX One in 2016, university blocked it on the wifi. Now, I'm rebuilding my PC before heading to another university for my second year of Architecture. Yeah. Crappy story, wierd story, but as I said. I was bored so why not. I went from 20 year old Comadore as a kid to everyone's fucking tech support that could literally be solved by a fucking google got damn it. Anyways, yeah. Now I'm addicted to tech and I blame that broadcasting class and the game boys for my addiction. I have a thousand fucking XLR cables and adapters just cause I can and rant on message boards.

I dont think you will buy any more laptops, right? None of them ended up well.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Welcome to my life.

Started out on some ancient desktop running Windows 98, then to another running Windows XP. Then got a half-decent PC which had a dual-core Pentium and a GeForce graphics processor.

Also had a PlayStation, PS2, PS3, PSP and Xbox 360 for gaming.

Had a MacBook Pro (which I still use in some occasions) which served fine for basic tasks and video editing but was woefully underpowered for gaming after 2 years due to its 9400M iGPU. The Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P with the Core i7 4700MQ and GT 750M GPU came next and it was much better fit for gaming, but its display was a slight downgrade.

And now, the present day, with my ASUS GL502VM that’s practically a significant upgrade in nearly every area compared to the 2 and complimented by an iPad Pro and Moto Z. I had an iPod touch that got stolen at a counselor’s office and some Android phones in between.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 minutes ago, TOSaunders said:

I went from 20 year old Comadore as a kid to everyone's fucking tech support that could literally be solved by a fucking google got damn it. Anyways, yeah. Now I'm addicted to tech and I blame that broadcasting class and the game boys for my addiction.

Feel you there, man.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

So much feels in this topic. I feel ya mate. Around 90% of tech enthusiasts like you and me all started out as poor bastards who couldn't really afford the best of the best when we were young and ended up with the cheap stuff. I bet the majority of those who get into tech literally started by Googling "How to improve FPS/performance in games" or something like that, since we didn't have such high-end tech to play around with. Good times... :)

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

14 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Welcome to my life.

Started out on some ancient desktop running Windows 98, then to another running Windows XP. Then got a half-decent PC which had a dual-core Pentium and a GeForce graphics processor.

Also had a PlayStation, PS2, PS3, PSP and Xbox 360 for gaming.

Had a MacBook Pro (which I still use in some occasions) which served fine for basic tasks and video editing but was woefully underpowered for gaming after 2 years due to its 9400M iGPU. The Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P with the Core i7 4700MQ and GT 750M GPU came next and it was much better fit for gaming, but its display was a slight downgrade.

And now, the present day, with my ASUS GL502VM that’s practically a significant upgrade in nearly every area compared to the 2 and complimented by an iPad Pro and Moto Z. I had an iPod touch that got stolen at a counselor’s office and some Android phones in between.

Same here. Had a old celeron rig running W95 with some 128MB ram and I was using it in 2004. In 2006 I got a laptop with AMD Turion 64, running XP, which burned up and died a 4 years later. During this time I was also using my Dad's Pentium 4 rig. Got a x5660 and HD7970 2 years after they released, and never moved. Not in the near future either. Never had a console. Was on a flip phone for quite a while(almost 10 years, prepaid with 30 bucks a year), just got a smartphone 2 weeks ago. 

5 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

So much feels in this topic. I feel ya mate. Around 90% of tech enthusiasts like you and me all started out as poor bastards who couldn't really afford the best of the best when we were young and ended up with the cheap stuff. I bet the majority of those who get into tech literally started by Googling "How to improve FPS/performance in games" or something like that, since we didn't have such high-end tech to play around with. Good times... :)

That was so true. My first PC was an IBM amptiva 350mhz pentium with a 6GB HDD.... then some shitty toshiba laptop then a macbook then i realized macs were shit and my pc interest was pegged from there. Now I work as an IT consultant

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Really interesting story, I had a similar story, not QUITE as bad, but still pretty bleh. Back in 2006 as a kid I got my first PC, it was a 566mhz celeron running Windows ME. I had been interested in computers my whole life and was super excited to have my own finally. Hours and hours were spent making horrible cringy MS paint animations in WMM and playing Moto Racer. I was stuck with that PC till early 2010 when I got a slight upgrade to a 700mhz piii with Windows XP. It's not like we were broke then, it's just that having a computer was not that huge of a priority in my parent's eyes, and hell, my eyes either. Later that year my cousin gave me my first laptop which was a 1.6ghz athlon ECS desknote with no battery running Windows XP which was a MASSIVE leap for me. I didn't have a keyboard though, so I had to lug an external one around. But hey, I could watch Youtube in 360p and play Project 64, so I was a happy camper! That laptop "died" a year later (it was something so minor that I fixed later for shits and giggles, but so much later that it didn't matter anymore) and in early 2011 I saved up and my parents threw in some and I got my first okayish PC, it was a Dell Inspiron 15 inch laptop. It was horrible. I was amazed by how fast it was at first but within two months it was already having major issues and by the end of that year it was so unusable that I retreated back to my 700mhz Piii. Those were the shitty times. We were super broke and I didn't have a job yet. I slowly learned how to upgrade and fix computers out of desperation. I got a 1ghz piii PC and added a PCI graphics card and soundblaster to it, along with 512mb of RAM and while it was better than my old 700mhz one, it was still shit. In midish 2012 after months of off and on fooling with PCs and slowly learning, I finally got something that POSTed. It was a frankenstein built from a broken PC my uncle gave me and my mother's old broken PC. It was a Athlon 64 3000+ which was running at a whopping 1.8ghz. It had 1.5gb of RAM, a 9600 pro and a 1TB HDD. I felt like I was on top of the damn world. That feeling when the PC speaker beeped was the most amazing fucking rush. I played so much TF2 on that PC. xD

The next frankenstein PC I built like a year later was a Core 2 Duo and 9800gt running WIndows 7. Jesus fucking christ that thing was a beast to me back then. I could run Dolphin! I later got into overclocking (my core 2 duo and 9800gt were amazing OCers), and then I started upgrading part by part till I got where I am now. Now I'm in the process of saving up for a completely new Ryzen rig with a 1070, 1080 or maybe even a 1080ti, haven't decided yet.

Don't know exactly why I decided to share my story also, but yeh. Sitting here in front of my mechanical keyboard, 4 monitors and okayish custom PC just makes me realize how far I've come. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

6 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

The next frankenstein PC I built like a year later was a Core 2 Duo and 9800gt running WIndows 7. Jesus fucking christ that thing was a beast to me back then. I could run Dolphin! I later got into overclocking (my core 2 duo and 9800gt were amazing OCers)

I still have my 9800GT+ and Q6600 system.  At one point I once thought it beastly, being able to play BF:BC2 and BF3 at reasonable settings pretty smoothly.  

It now sits in my basement, gathering dust. :/

2006 was yesterday.  I was only 31.   :(

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.