Swapping SSD Data

SatanExe

I have a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo in my laptop, and I want to swap it with my 250GB 840 Evo that's in my main rig, by swapping the data on them (my laptop only has around 80GB of data on it). I have a SATA to USB cable, how would I go about this?

Thanks in advance lads

P.S before anyone asks, yes I have external hard drives that are over 500GB

I found a good tutorial here. The tool is also very trustworthy, so you don't have to worry about getting viruses, just make sure to not install other programs during installation.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/disk-clone-guide.htm

EDIT: There's also free trials for the tools, so you could use that.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

find the stuff you want to keep on your laptop -> copy to external hdd

format 500gb ssd, format 250gb ssd (assuming you have nothing you want to keep on it, if you do then put it on another drive) then install windows on it

250gb ssd -> laptop

500gb ssd -> your desktop 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

format 500gb ssd, format 250gb ssd (assuming you have nothing you want to keep on it, if you do then put it on another drive) then install windows on it

250gb ssd -> laptop

lol

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

250gb ssd -> laptop

There is one problem with it, which is installed programs and all that can't always transfer properly (e.g. might not run, won't be able to start it from Start Menu) if you don't clone it sector for sector.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

3 minutes ago, BlueBeachMonster said:

lol

windows 10 from your laptop won't work with windows 10 on your desktop because

well i tried it before and it didnt work so, yea xD 

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

There is one problem with it, which is installed programs and all that can't always transfer properly (e.g. might not run, won't be able to start it from Start Menu) if you don't clone it sector for sector.

i was suggesting just formatting everything and reinstalling windows, with you having files that you want to keep transferred to an external HDD 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

windows 10 from your laptop won't work with windows 10 on your desktop because

well i tried it before and it didnt work so, yea xD 

i was suggesting just formatting everything and reinstalling windows, with you having files that you want to keep transferred to an external HDD 

I want to swap the data on them, I clearly stated that. I need the data from both.

1 minute ago, BlueBeachMonster said:

I want to swap the data on them, I clearly stated that. I need the data from both.

i interpreted that has just being able to move files to external hard drive and then moving it back onto SSD after format and install of windows 

ignore what i said if you weren't thinking of what i was thinking, and go with a drive cloning utility 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.