HDD seen as PnP, Help

I have a big issue when I did install Windows 10 onto my desktop, everything seem to work fine but the biggest issue is this;

I have two internal storage drives (one SSD and one HDD) and they are both showing up as PnP (Plug and Play) in the windows hidden icon tray.

I have also had this problem with Windows 7 but I can't remember what fixed it. I have installed the SATA drivers from the mobo's homepage and chipset drivers from Intel. The system I got is a Z97-E and I can't seem this to work and I have tried various driver update tools but with no luck.

Sometimes I can't load the files on my drive and it's really scary, I have tried to put on and off Intel Rapid Storage in the BIOS but with no luck I have also changed the BIOS settings from Auto to Raid to SATA but with also no luck.

Just wondering if anybody can help.

Thank you <3

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

11 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

I have a big issue when I did install Windows 10 onto my desktop, everything seem to work fine but the biggest issue is this;

I have two internal storage drives (one SSD and one HDD) and they are both showing up as PnP (Plug and Play) in the windows hidden icon tray.

I have also had this problem with Windows 7 but I can't remember what fixed it. I have installed the SATA drivers from the mobo's homepage and chipset drivers from Intel. The system I got is a Z97-E and I can't seem this to work and I have tried various driver update tools but with no luck.

Sometimes I can't load the files on my drive and it's really scary, I have tried to put on and off Intel Rapid Storage in the BIOS but with no luck I have also changed the BIOS settings from Auto to Raid to SATA but with also no luck.

Just wondering if anybody can help.

Thank you <3

1.  Create a Windows 10 USB install using the Windows Media Creation tool.  Create a bootable USB using the tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2.  Turn off the computer and completely disconnect the HDD.

3.  Make sure the SSD is connected to SATA port 1.

4.  Insert the bootable Windows Creation tool into the machine.  Preferably a USB 2.0 if possible.  Some machines don't like booting from USB 3 or 3.1.

5.  Turn on the machine booting from the USB tool.  You may need to verify the USB as the bootable device in the BIOS.

6.  Using the USB tool, create your bootable SSD.  You may need to initialize, partition and format the SSD.  If so, all that is possible using the Windows Media Creation tool (the bootable USB you created earlier).

7.  Once the SSD has been initialized, partitioned and formatted, the Creation tool should continue to function and complete the download and installation of Windows to the SSD.

8.  After the install of Windows is complete, shut down the machine.

9.  After the machine is shut down, only then should you connect the HDD to the SATA 2 port on the motherboard.

10.  After connecting your HDD, then turn on the machine and verify in the BIOS the SSD is the bootable drive C: and your HDD should be your drive D:.

11.  All done.  Enjoy.

You might have sata hot-plug enabled, check your bios/uefi and verify that hot-plug is disabled. It is usually a separate option for each sata port.

23 hours ago, kb5zue said:

1.  Create a Windows 10 USB install using the Windows Media Creation tool.  Create a bootable USB using the tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2.  Turn off the computer and completely disconnect the HDD.

3.  Make sure the SSD is connected to SATA port 1.

4.  Insert the bootable Windows Creation tool into the machine.  Preferably a USB 2.0 if possible.  Some machines don't like booting from USB 3 or 3.1.

5.  Turn on the machine booting from the USB tool.  You may need to verify the USB as the bootable device in the BIOS.

6.  Using the USB tool, create your bootable SSD.  You may need to initialize, partition and format the SSD.  If so, all that is possible using the Windows Media Creation tool (the bootable USB you created earlier).

7.  Once the SSD has been initialized, partitioned and formatted, the Creation tool should continue to function and complete the download and installation of Windows to the SSD.

8.  After the install of Windows is complete, shut down the machine.

9.  After the machine is shut down, only then should you connect the HDD to the SATA 2 port on the motherboard.

10.  After connecting your HDD, then turn on the machine and verify in the BIOS the SSD is the bootable drive C: and your HDD should be your drive D:.

11.  All done.  Enjoy.

Thank you I might try this as a last way to fix it! I saved the instructions for later. xD xD

23 hours ago, Pesukarhu said:

You might have sata hot-plug enabled, check your bios/uefi and verify that hot-plug is disabled. It is usually a separate option for each sata port.

This did work only with the HDD that's plugged in and I did disable hot-plug with both drives. The SSD and the HDD and it worked with the HDD, thank you. :x

I might mention that my SSD is an M.2 drive connected through the PCI Express slot or at least using the PCI lane I believe. :S

At least half way done! Thank you very much I just hope I can figure out why the M.2 SSD is still PnP in Windows. (Bit off topic but I noticed that Intel Rapid Storage can only be enabled with RAID in the BIOS... that's odd as before I had IRS without RAID...)

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD