Worse than a driver disk

ultimatemythbuster

Why do I still have this?

Better question is why would I have ever bought a Dell computer?

post-37426-0-09778300-1385878836_thumb.j

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

What's so bad about it?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No, if your XP system is corrupt you have to repair it using a disk or USB. It is a lifesaver. A freebie.

You can always redownload drivers online if it becomes corrupt.

What's so bad about it?

The fact that it's from Dell.  I don't even have any Dell computers, so why did I keep it?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

The fact that it's from Dell.  I don't even have any Dell computers, so why did I keep it?

A recovery disk is a recovery disk. Dell doesnt have proprietary hardware. Dont see why it couldnt be used for any XP system.

The fact that it's from Dell.

You act like Dell is a bad company.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'll take it.. I'll slap XP on my new PC. Likeaboss.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you guys are missing a point i can relate to... Those driver discs are loaded sky high with crapware. At least with a driver disc you can selectively install drivers. That's one of the main reasons the first thing i do to a new pc is run a clean install of whatever os i feel like using. Then downloading the drivers from the online support pages. That's right, no mcafee 30 day trial for me.

Don't think its worse as this disk can always restore your Dell computer to factory settings easily. Drivers disk are useless because you can get them from the internet but you can't for this one. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Man, I still have my 5 1/4" floppy disc of DOS 3.0 and 5.0 xD

Also the 30 3.5" floppy discs of Windows 95.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I have that exact disk haha

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz