Using VGA monitor with Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Corey H

In short, monitor died and I'm now stuck with a very old DELL E171FPb monitor that only has VGA. I'm buying the Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Edition Video Card and it doesn't support VGA so I'm needing some kind of adapter/converter so this will work out for the time being. I haven't had any experience with this type of thing so I'm looking for a solution. Can anyone be of assistance?

DVI to VGA adapters are really cheap and you can get them everywhere

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

since the DVI port on the card is only DVI-D, it wont carry the signal required for the little converter blocks that used to come with cards (remember that time? :P)

displayport-vga adapters are very common tho.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

DVI to VGA adapters are really cheap and you can get them everywhere

card has DVI-D, not DVI-I, so you cant use those ;)

Just now, manikyath said:

since the DVI port on the card is only DVI-D, it wont carry the signal required for the little converter blocks that used to come with cards (remember that time? :P)

displayport-vga adapters are very common tho.

card has DVI-D, not DVI-I, so you cant use those ;)

well thats a pretty dick move tbh. wow. Zotac plz. anyway in the box there should have been a converter, unless Zotac pulled another dick move

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

well thats a pretty dick move tbh. wow. Zotac plz. anyway in the box there should have been a converter, unless Zotac pulled another dick move

its not a dick move, if i recall the 1050ti doesnt support vga out the box at all, so it'd have to be zotac silicon providing the output.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I haven't purchased the card just yet and I'm worried it won't include a converter/adapter.

its 2017, what monitor doesn't support hdmi or dvi?, if not, maybe time for an upgrade!

(For DVI-D) I was in the same situation as you, it turns out you need an active adapter (as opposed to passive). If it doesn't say active, don't buy it, it will be passive. 

Hdmi -> VGA and Displayport -> VGA are quite cheap as well

Just now, jarmenti said:

its 2017, what monitor doesn't support hdmi or dvi?, if not, maybe time for an upgrade!

its an old monitor because his main one broke...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

its not a dick move, if i recall the 1050ti doesnt support vga out the box at all, so it'd have to be zotac silicon providing the output.

then its NVIDIAs dick move :P VGA is awesome, who dosent want a basically unregulated standard theoretically capable of 4K xD 

2 minutes ago, Wage said:

I haven't purchased the card just yet and I'm worried it won't include a converter/adapter.

just get DP to VGA or HDMI to VGA, more expensive but work just as well

Builds:

Spoiler

then its NVIDIAs dick move :P VGA is awesome, who dosent want a basically unregulated standard theoretically capable of 4K xD 

ddcfd20311.jpg

thats a rackmount server, thats displayport.

your vga is more dead than you realise.

2 minutes ago, Wrb said:

I was in the same situation as you, it turns out you need an active adapter (as opposed to passive). If it doesn't say active, don't buy it, it will be passive.

Same situation? If possible can you find the exact link where you purchased yours?

its from the 80's, ofc its getting phased out as hell lol. its just fun that its still a thing, and i still use it xD i can push more Hz through VGA than DVI lol(75 vs 66)

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Wage said:

Same situation? If possible can you find the exact link where you purchased yours?

In the end, I didn't buy an adaptor. I used the VGA port on my motherboard to drive the monitor (my 2nd screen). Sorry I can't be more helpful.

(This does mean I have two sets of video drivers installed, dispite what people say, it's working fine so far)

3 minutes ago, jarmenti said:

The OP mentions their other, presumably newer, monitor has died. If it is an older monitor, and it works, then why upgrade?

For viewing web pages, videos and documents, who needs even 1920x1080? I especially like 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect ratio) for gaming and editing documents and spreadsheets.

VGA is fine for up to 1920x1200, and there is little stopping you going beyond, and it usually works.

Just now, Wrb said:

In the end, I didn't buy an adaptor. I used the VGA port on my motherboard to drive the monitor (my 2nd screen). Sorry I can't be more helpful.

No worries.

1 minute ago, Wrb said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/startech-displayport-to-vga-adapter-black/1010004.p?skuId=1010004

if bestbuy has a startech product priced below 30 bucks, i cant imagine amazon offerings being terrible :P 

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

ddcfd20311.jpg

Wow.

I have never had an issue with DisplayPort (Probably because I have only used it a handful of times) but I can imagine having problems with that. VGA is great because there are no EDID issues, and it just works. Plug it in, you get a picture.

Just now, Emmien said:

Wow.

I have never had an issue with DisplayPort (Probably because I have only used it a handful of times) but I can imagine having problems with that. VGA is great because there are no EDID issues, and it just works. Plug it in, you get a picture.

i'm sure they only bothered with DP for its size advantage compared to VGA, as for the "vga just gives a picture" argument... i do love having to deal with auto adjust bricking regularly ;)

I have a little New Link HDMI to VGA converter which cost £6 (Less than $8). VGA is an easy signal to generate, so these converters are cheap and small and can be powered by the 5v going down HDMI. You can get cables with the converter in, and the converter is so small that you wouldn't notice it is in the connector.

1 minute ago, Emmien said:

I have a little New Link HDMI to VGA converter which cost £6 (Less than $8). VGA is an easy signal to generate, so these converters are cheap and small and can be powered by the 5v going down HDMI. You can get cables with the converter in, and the converter is so small that you wouldn't notice it is in the connector.

why not go with dp-vga tho? thats a slightly more widely accepted standard.

why not go with dp-vga tho? thats a slightly more widely accepted standard.

Why?

If it is an active converter, then it is a true HDMI signal going to true VGA. It doesn't really matter if it is an "accepted" standard, and why shouldn't it be? Both will work.

I am surprised at the graphics card manufacturers for not including VGA or even DVI-I. That is just laziness.

1 minute ago, Emmien said:

I am surprised at the graphics card manufacturers for not including VGA or even DVI-I. That is just laziness.

it is just no longer a necessity, and it helps making your 1050ti 5 bucks cheaper.

4 minutes ago, Emmien said:

Will this work for my problem? If so are you able to link the page where you purchased it?

Getting mixed opinions about this as well as mixed information when researching this type of problem so I'm looking for someone that's been in my shoes and knows their shit to link me to something that's going to work. I hate being spoon-fed but that's the truth.

it is just no longer a necessity, and it helps making your 1050ti 5 bucks cheaper.

But then a lot of people need to buy a $5 adaptor.

24 minutes ago, Wage said:

In short, monitor died and I'm now stuck with a very old DELL E171FPb monitor that only has VGA. I'm buying the Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Edition Video Card and it doesn't support VGA so I'm needing some kind of adapter/converter so this will work out for the time being. I haven't had any experience with this type of thing so I'm looking for a solution. Can anyone be of assistance?

If you don't have a DVI-I output, use a DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?input=VGA