Poor performance Andromeda with 1080ti

moidave

Hi,

core i5 4590 (3.5)

16gb DDR 1600 ram

MSI aéro 1080 ti non OC

Monitor: acer w243p at 1200p

windows 7 pro. 

full screen (also tried windowed) at 1200p.

i am running the latest version of Andromeda at 1200p but get frequent spikes in the fps, on the nexus and tempest I frequently go lower than 50 fps.

on EOS desert, I do get some high fps (110-120) but it often drops to half that figures. 

all settings ultra, except shadows and effect quality at high. Game is on SSD.

On MSI afterburner:

GPU stays at 50-60%. usage,

CPU 4 threads are in the 80s, a few spikes Near 90.

RAM is at 11gb used. 

I know my CPU is not OC and only has 4 cores, could it be bottlenecking my GPU?

I know these fps are not catastrophic by any means, but given the performance tests of the 1.0 game with 1080ti, I was expecting higher on average. They claim a minimum of 94fps at everything ultra, almost twice what I have. I know my GPU model is not the fastest 1080ti of the bunch, but still! 

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8095/mass-effect-andromeda-benchmarked-gtx-1080-ti/index2.html

so, basically I am not really asking what settings I should change to get steady 60fps, but try to find a logical reason as to why I have a relatively poor performance for a decent CPU and strong GPU.

Thanks. 

Full disclosure i don't have ME:Andromeda, but a suggestion that you might try is to play around with AA settings and other post processing effects. These in my experience could cause the game to dip in fps.

Do you play in full screen? Which resolution? These info might help other who have this game and can give you tips.

Lastly, if you play on Windows 10-latest update, have you deactivated the new gaming features that come with the OS? These cause issue in most games.

15 minutes ago, HeyIAmInfinity said:

Full disclosure i don't have ME:Andromeda, but a suggestion that you might try is to play around with AA settings and other post processing effects. These in my experience could cause the game to dip in fps.

Do you play in full screen? Which resolution? These info might help other who have this game and can give you tips.

Lastly, if you play on Windows 10-latest update, have you deactivated the new gaming features that come with the OS? These cause issue in most games.

Thanks. I updated my description to be more precise. And to be clear, I am not complaining, but more worrying about the big difference between the website data and my results. 

Even if your CPU isn't maxed it can be a CPU bottleneck. That's the case here. And it's quite a big one it seems. Try to oc your CPU (Maybe there is some bios that might allow you to oc. Do a bit of research.) or turn down mesh quality, that might help as well.

i5 6500 @3.2Ghz, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini, 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Corsair Vengance 650W, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Thermaltake Versa U21, Hyper 103

AOC Agon AG271UG 27" 4k G-Sync, G933, G502, G801

3 hours ago, the MBK said:

Even if your CPU isn't maxed it can be a CPU bottleneck. That's the case here. And it's quite a big one it seems. Try to oc your CPU (Maybe there is some bios that might allow you to oc. Do a bit of research.) or turn down mesh quality, that might help as well.

Exactly.

I am sure it is CPU bottleneck as well.

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

Exactly.

I am sure it is CPU bottleneck as well.

Thanks! That really reassures me. Now that I think about it, the fps with same CPU and GTX 970 were not so different. 

I always assumed that bottlenecking only happened when all cores were at 100%. 

Can someone explain why it is bottlenecking with cores in the 60-70%? What is happening there? 

Sorry to pester everyone but here is another question.

I can get a core i7 7700 and mobo for really cheap (like almost free, through a work connection).

Would this remove the bottleneck even if the CPU speed differences are marginal?

core i5 4690: 3.5-3.9 (boost mode)

core i7 7700: 3.6- 4.2 (boost mode) 

Also, to make things short, I got the 1080ti as an unexpected present, which explain why my CPU is not matched well. 

Now I that I have it, I intend on playing at 4k with gsync. Even if it is just a few fps, is it worth it (basically almost free, just need to remove the old and set another mobo and CPU in my current case) to switch to the core i7 7700?

In the next 3-5 years, Won't DX12 allow for better use of HT?

thanks. 

24 minutes ago, moidave said:

can get a core i7 7700 and mobo for really cheap (like almost free, through a work connection).

Would this remove the bottleneck even if the CPU speed differences are marginal?

Yup, should help massively. 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I upgraded to windows 10, disabled all options in nvidia Game Center like game sharing, and reinstalled the game. It is noticeably faster now, 5-10 fps. Thank you guys.